Did you line up your toys as a young child?

Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2008, 12:01 pm

Yeah, when I was 3-5 I remember lining up my stuffed animals on my bed up against the wall. The "1st" night was arranged in perfect size order with largest at the front. Each night I'd rotate the first to the last, so that each stuffed animal got a turn at the front of the line with me.

I also played Hot Wheels traffic jam. I'd line up about 20 or so, move the front one ever so slightly, then the next and so on and make a very slow progression across the house.

According to my mom, I also kept a camera bag that my grandpa gave me with me everywhere. She said I kept all my favorite small toys in it, would take them out and organise them and reorganise them, put them back in and repeat. I've noticed that I still exibit this behavior sometimes as an adult, just not so much in front of people.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2008, 12:07 pm

I remember my mother telling me that I said that my toys were "all in a crackpot row".

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 12:40 pm

yes

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 1:45 pm

Aside from blocks/Legos (which are supposed to be lined up/stacked), I don't really remember doing it as a child...I didn't notice myself doing it until middle school.

I specifically remember bringing my GI Joes (my favorite toy ever) to my grandparents' cottage once, and lining them up on the floor. My grandpa came in and said "Well are you gonna play with them, or just look at them?"

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2008, 1:54 pm

I've just remembered that as a child, I told someone that I "liked to tidy," and my mother immediately said that that wasn't true, as my room was never tidy. (It's taken me a long time to learn how to organize my life.) But I wasn't able to explain what I really meant, which was that though I disliked cleaning, I loved organizing - putting things into categories, compartments, ordered lines, and so forth.

I also remember going to my grandmother's, where I received a doll and my brother a set of Matchbox cars. I tried undressing and re-dressing the doll, but my grandmother told me it "wasn't nice to do that to the dolly," so instead I joined my brother's car games - by lining the cars up in order of size, type or color, and then by spinning the wheels on them (yes, I remember doing this, and I was sort of embarrassed to learn recently that it's well-known behavior on the spectrum).

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 2:13 pm

Jeyradan wrote:
...spinning the wheels on them (yes, I remember doing this, and I was sort of embarrassed to learn recently that it's well-known behavior on the spectrum).

I saw an autistic kid doing that in that movie with Bruce Willis (dunno the name, didn't see the whole thing). That was about the only thing I had in common with the kid ;D

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 3:04 pm

I am wa~ay too normal to line up my toys.

I put them in arrays.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 3:18 pm

When I was little I used to line up toy cars. If one was a tiny bit off, I would start screaming. Oh no its not perfect! Were all going to die!

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 3:56 pm

You should Lab Pet with a bowl of Chex Mix. I empty the bowl onto the tabletop and sort-out the distinct pieces. I'm don't even really like Chex Mix. Same with M&Ms - by color. Then flash count the particles.

I am soooo glad no one else is reading this.....do not tell. Blood pact.

Than there's the stacking...heh heh heh. I love to stack.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 4:23 pm

Sort of memories topic

Now that I start to remember... topic

Sorting through the gravel, rocks and stones in the drive way and arranging them by shape, colour, type. Kept me busy in summer and on non school days in the spring. I sorted the playing cards, too. :lol:

My shoes and clothes were lined up. Not too many articles but liked them to be where I could see them.

I had collections of buttons and I would find different ways to sort them. Keeping special toys close by and away from my sister was important. Most random toys ended up in a big box in the basement when they weren't played with. I had to hide anything I wanted to keep special.

I am surprised everyone has such good memories. I really had to think about this one!!

Thanks for the memories! It has been a long time.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 4:24 pm

I did that, usually stuffed animals and dolls on my bed, and books in series order. I still sort my M&M's and eat them by color. The managers at Kmart liked that I was into organizing because I kept the shelves neat for as long as I could, which was hard to do in the toy department in December.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 4:28 pm

LabPet wrote:
You should Lab Pet with a bowl of Chex Mix. I empty the bowl onto the tabletop and sort-out the distinct pieces.

I love Chex mix (especially homemade), but I hate (or is it love?) having to pick out the seperate bits.

I always thought the brown ones were the best, but they're different now...unless it's just the store-bought mix, the brown ones just taste the same as the rest now?

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2008, 5:01 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Jeyradan wrote:
...spinning the wheels on them (yes, I remember doing this, and I was sort of embarrassed to learn recently that it's well-known behavior on the spectrum).

I saw an autistic kid doing that in that movie with Bruce Willis (dunno the name, didn't see the whole thing). That was about the only thing I had in common with the kid ;D

I think it's called Mercury Rising. Didn't watch the whole thing either, just the ending when it was on tv.

I was a wheel spinner too. Actually, I still do that when playing with my younger nephew and nieces :oops: . Another thing I never thought of as strange, I just thought it was fun and like checking how differently they spin on different cars. Sometimes if the car is small enough, I'll take the front or back wheels in between my thumb and index finger and spin the whole car.

DietCoke
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Apr 2008, 5:16 pm

My son does this the whole time - he used to do it with his Thomas the Tank Engines. He knew every name, how many wheels, size funnel, colour, number etc of each engine. Come to think of it I still know most of that myself!!

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 7:28 pm

They weren't technically toys, but my Hardy Boys books HAD to be in sequential order. I still love alphabetizing my DVD collection.

Z

30 Apr 2008, 7:35 pm

I lined up my brother's toy cars and my little Polly Pocket people, my Little Ponies, my little people, I can remember lining up our VHS tapes sometimes and stacking up my books to see how high they can go. That's all I can remember right now. I think it's something that all kids do but when I saw a video on autism on youtube it showed the difference between an autistic child doing it and me. They lined up everything, all their stuff they had, I didn't.