Page 3 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 5:19 pm

MR wrote:
MemberSix wrote:
grain-and-field wrote:
clue: It is considered rude to ask "why?" when you are asked a SIMPLE question. This goes for all human beings, both AS and NT.

However, if the question is more advanced, asking "why?", may not be so rude, but it is STILL considered somewhat rude.

Nobody likes to be asked "why?". There may be some cases where you would fancy being asked "why?". But as a rule, it is rude.

Instead, say "why do you wanna know?". That is polite, well, more polite.

I'd say that's even ruder because it's less casual .... more directly confrontational.

Depends how it's said. Tone of voice can convey a lot.

And, on the internet, it depends, alas, on how the other person imagines it was said.

Said in the same tone of voice, I'd say "Why do you wanna know ?" is ruder because adding the "do you wanna know ?" makes it seem much more pointed.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 6:32 pm

MR wrote:
grain-and-field wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Like when grain-and-field empirically states that asking "Why?" is rude without explaining the reasoning behind his statement (or even providing evidence to support it) - the information is incomplete, and we're expected to simply accept his determination at it is stated without any justification.

so you are saying that Im an idiot? I have feelings to....

I understand him to be saying you aren't an authority. You're an anonymous person on the internet. We have no reason to just believe you. But, if you either explain your thinking (answer the "why?" or site a source, then we have something more to go on.

Thank you. That's pretty much what I would like to say, but I seem to lack the diplomacy skills to say it, being more from the "Put Up or Shut Up" school of troll management.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 7:01 pm

MR wrote:
And I explained why I was asking, how it came across. And she just said "it is what it is".

Her reaction to my question seems very much like the response to your "why".

In my case, though, I'm not sure if she really didn't understand that it might not be obvious to me what she meant, or if she really was being sarcastic but wouldn't admit it.

Or she might have been afraid that you were going to somehow antagonize her after she answered or something.

Normally I'm okay with questions, but I have had a few people ask me questions in a seriously antagonistic way, and then I can get sensitive over those questions, even if a later questioner is asking them innocently.

Her response sounds a lot like "It's a long story," which is translated usually as "I don't want to talk about it."

What frustrated me very much though once, was when there was a guy who made posts with 'apostrophes' like 'these' around half the words in them. I asked whether they were for sarcasm, emphasis, attempt to set the words apart from other words, or to say he didn't really believe the word. He got really angry at me and told me that I was not respecting his neurodiversity. Which startled me, but I guess maybe he'd been asked those questions in an antagonistic way at some point and figured I was too. I was just trying to figure out his posts. (He'd also complain if his posts were ignored or misunderstood.)

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 8:05 pm

So now you are analyzing people you haven't even met, or even seen direct words from? What something sounds like to you, frankly, is irrelevant, since you were neither the one speaking, nor the one who said it. "It is what is is" doesn't mean "it's a long story". Nor would that even fit in the context. And you'll just have to trust me on that one.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 12:53 am

grain-and-field wrote:
clue: It is considered rude to ask "why?" when you are asked a SIMPLE question. This goes for all human beings, both AS and NT.

However, if the question is more advanced, asking "why?", may not be so rude, but it is STILL considered somewhat rude.

Nobody likes to be asked "why?". There may be some cases where you would fancy being asked "why?". But as a rule, it is rude.

No one called you an idiot, grain-and-field - that much is clear. How you take something is completely up to you, however. I disagree wholeheartedly with what you say - I appreciate when people ask me why, because it means they are thinking. If I ask why, I also have a concern or question that needs answering... and I do not believe my needs are less important than that of another. Just food for thought -

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Omar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2008, 1:14 am

sounds to Omar like it was just to break the silence, maybe a way to toss out a few morsels of smalltalk to see if you be in the mood to bite. It ain't meant to be serious, and answerin' "why' in such a case would be counter-productive as the person say'n it is try'n to be discrete in gaug'n your willingness to communicate.

msinglynx
Toucan
Toucan

05 Aug 2008, 1:21 am

I ask why a lot, it doesnt bother me at all to have someone ask me either.
Usually, if I am talking to a child I assume they may ask why & tell them along with whatever else I am saying/asking, but with adults it's harder. It seems to bother them a lot. I would guuuuuess he meant "is your car a toyota?" but... there are so many possible interpretations.... context is hard :(

msinglynx
Toucan
Toucan

05 Aug 2008, 1:47 am

grain-and-field wrote:

But no question is ever automatically simple. No one ever knows exactly with what information the other person is going on.
"why are you wearing that shirt?" maybe its simply curousityor maybe
the shirt is dirty
or ugly
or broken
or inside out
or buttoned wrong
or
or
or
asking why keeps me from running circles in my mind trying to figure it out. Ever read The Yellow Room? I can easily wear my shoulder into the wall trying to figure things out on my own.

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 2:20 am

Yes I do it to my mom. It drives her crazy when I ask a question with a question like why???

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 2:47 am

I do something similar:

I ask someone a question.

They give me an answer.

I ask them why they gave the answer.

I know it frustrates them, but I want to know why people give the answers they do.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 5:01 am

grain-and-field wrote:

Besides the fact that the second way of asking the question uses more words, what's the difference? (Note: I'm not attacking your post, I'm genuinely confused.)

I often ask people why they asked me questions. I do so to satisfy my own curiosity, and so that I can have some context for my answer: many questions can be interpreted in more than one way, and it creates confusion if they are interpreted in the wrong way. Noone I've met has ever had a problem with me asking "why?", and I don't see why they should; all it is is a request for clarification.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2008, 11:42 am

Perfectly reasonable scenario:

Are you going to the store?

Yes I am, why?

Well I need a few things and I'd like you to get them for me if you are going.

Next scenario:

Do you post on Wrong Planet?

Why?

(how do you answer, and what is this person going to do with your answer? Is he going to out me, ridicule me, or say that he does too?)

This creates some feelings of conflict.

Just illustrating :)

We are all curious at one time or another, and the question "why?" when it is meant to give more information is fine, but sometimes when it is used to answer a question can make people uncomfortable as I illustrated.

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 12:59 pm

Bunni wrote:

Why?

(how do you answer, and what is this person going to do with your answer? Is he going to out me, ridicule me, or say that he does too?)

Seems to me the stuff in parenthesis applies just as much to the first question.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 1:04 pm

MR wrote:
Bunni wrote:

Why?

Seems to me the stuff in parenthesis applies just as much to the first question.

It appeared to me that the items in parentheses were the questions to be answered by asking 'Why?' - is that the point of confusion?

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 4:58 pm

Some people make a living asking "why." We're called philosophers.

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2008, 4:59 pm

I should have made it more clear, using the same question to illustrate the difference.

I was illustrating how using "why?" in answer to a question could seem manipulative in nature to some.

My husband just did this too! My daughter asked "What are you doing?" and he said "Why?" lol

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.