Question about Aspergean obsessive interests

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 2:15 pm

No, I don't agree with your friend. People have treated my knowledge and ability in certain subjects as parlour tricks but that's because they noticed my ability and made a big thing out of it, not because I promoted it.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 3:46 pm

dailyalice wrote:
No, definitely not a parlour trick, my obsessions define who I am, especially my pet obsessions which I developed at quite an early age. My son (who is nt) asked me the other day "why do you always gather information?" and I replied: "because I constantly want to learn more, want to KNOW" - I just want to know as many things as possible about things that interest me.

WOW, what a NEAT answer to such a question! If only EVERY mother and father could be like that! The world would probably be a better place!

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 4:09 pm

For my obsessions, and knowledge of them to be parlour tricks, that would imply that people are impressed by them. Let me assure you they aren't. As a matter of fact, when I'm obsessing I have little time for people, at least in a social way. I need information like I need food, sometimes even more since I often will forget to eat while I'm caught on something I think is interesting.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 10:42 pm

serenity wrote:
For my obsessions, and knowledge of them to be parlour tricks, that would imply that people are impressed by them. Let me assure you they aren't. As a matter of fact, when I'm obsessing I have little time for people, at least in a social way. I need information like I need food, sometimes even more since I often will forget to eat while I'm caught on something I think is interesting.

You're right about THAT! With ME, some people are astounded, etc.... A good example is a co worker that says I know EVERYTHING! She says she is SERIOUS! I state flat out that I DON'T! I say I DON'T claim to! I give EXAMPLES! And she says "Well, you SEEM to!"!

But OTHERS are like WHAT THE!?!?!? What does THAT have to do with anything!? USUALLY, it DOES deal directly or indirectly, but they dn't easily see it, or break in before the connection comes around.

HECK, TODAY, I heard the term Quasar! I hadn't heard that in a LONG time, but it triggered an OLD memory abouta quasar TV my father once had. I researched it! Quasar was a brand for Motorola TV sets, and it was sold to matsushita which used it on some TVs for their Panasonic brand to bypass US trade restrictions. I say that NOT to impress(I'm sure few would be), but to show how I just learned that because of an OLD memory that was triggered.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 10:52 pm

Mw99 wrote:
I was discussing this subject with a friend the other day and he said that the only reason aspies acquire encyclopedic knowledge of their narrow fields of interest is because deep inside they know they are defective, so they learn a few 'parlor tricks' to compensate for their deficiencies.

As an aspie with obsessive interests, do you agree with what my friend said?

How stupid.

The process is not that simple, I devour books and articles for the knowledge. When I can, sometimes I share this knowledge with others. I do not collect information with the simple intent of impressing others tho...

Johnson68
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2008, 7:38 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The obsessions are endorphin releasers. I feel happiest when I am very obsessed with something and even better when I tell someone else what I know.

That statement works well for me.

I just get so intrigued I have to know more about it. :lol:

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 10:15 pm

Absolutely not...

I don't have a choice in my obsessions, they start automatically. Sometimes with things I don't actually like but which grow on me.

I'm not trying to compensate for anything. I'm an aspie - what would I need to compensate for?

09 Aug 2008, 11:49 pm

Mw99 wrote:
I was discussing this subject with a friend the other day and he said that the only reason aspies acquire encyclopedic knowledge of their narrow fields of interest is because deep inside they know they are defective, so they learn a few 'parlor tricks' to compensate for their deficiencies.

As an aspie with obsessive interests, do you agree with what my friend said?

I would disagree because I was not interested in outside topics in school because I felt I was too different than others, I just liked to learn whatever interested me. So I would assume this would be true for other aspies too.

As for my obsessions, I read them because I was really interested in them like with London, Dalmatians, 101 Dalmatians, Joely Richardson. That was all I looked up on the internet most of the time, then it was with AS and Zelda, then Benny & Joon and Spokane. Basically it was the same B&J pictures over and over so nothing new to see when I look up the movie except for fanfiction or opinions.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 11:58 pm

gbollard wrote:
I'm not trying to compensate for anything. I'm an aspie - what would I need to compensate for?

Exactamente!