Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 6:48 am

My older siblings tried to teach me as young child and just gave up, but I was ten by the time I finally learned how to tie them to my own satisfaction, because I taught myself in the end. But I have never in my life asked anyone if I am tying them the right way.

I would feel pretty embarrassed at the age of 55 to ask anyone. "Is this the right way to tie them after all those years?"

LazyGamer
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Sep 2008, 2:01 pm

The concept of the knot confuses and infuriates me!! OK, it's not so much the knot itself as it is making one.

I have a skin condition, and it was much worse when I was a kid, so I sometimes had to wear sandals with socks (strange enough, I don't recall being mocked for that). When my skin improved slightly, I switched to Velcro shoes. When laces came up, my mom usually handled it and tied them in a way such that I could just slip my shoes on-and-off.

I still mostly just wing it, and I only actually tried and succeeded about...oh, 8 months ago (actually only did it once, my shoes still have the same knots, I just slip them on and off). I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing it right, but at least my shoes stay on, and they are comfortable.

Apparently my BS in Computer Science did help me in ways I didn't expect. Truthfully, I did kind of put it off just so I could say I graduated collage before I could tie my shoes.

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 6:45 pm

I was seven in first grade but even now i can only do bunny ears because that is how I was taught to tie shoe laces. But hey it does the job.