Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Raaf
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Oct 2008, 2:01 am

UserOfDoom24 wrote:
Any films with Aspergers related topics?

Under the Piano

The poignant story of one woman's overwhelming faith in her talented but emotionally defenceless sister.

Strong-willed Franny (Amanda Plummer) nurtures and protects Rosetta (Megan Follows) from their vain and controlling mother (Teresa Stratas) a faded opera star.

Regina is blind to Rosetta's exceptional musical talent, refusing to accept that anything exists beneath the surface of her autistic daughter. Regina's ignorance and desire for adulation poisons her relationships with her children so deeply that Rosetta eventually tries to take her own life.

Franny struggles to keep Rosetta out of an institution, while Regina is forced to bear witness to the strength and human spirit that have been locked away inside her youngest daughter ever since she was born.

http://www.sullivanmovies.com/on_tv/onTV_details.php?library_id=79

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzQZKpFF3nE[/youtube]

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 11:50 am

CMaximus wrote:
Barry seems to have a lot of anxiety issues at least, but I'm not sure if he's supposed to be just really sensitive/delicate or if he's supposed to actually have a high-functioning form of autism.

When I saw the movie, there was a post on IMDB that said he had something...I can't remember what it was, though...I tried looking for it, but all I found was a post about Aspergers. This was before I knew what it was, so maybe...I guess it does fit the symptoms I remember having been listed.

I seem to recall it being something I knew of though, like epilepsy or schizophrenia or something... *shrugs*

NicholasGray
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2009, 3:32 am

I'm Nicholas, the director of If You Could Say It In Words. http://www.wrongplanet.net/article376.html

I'm posting this info in a bunch of discussions on WP that mention our movie, including this one. We're having our West Coast premiere on March 29th as part of the 2009 Method Fest, a festival dedicated to honoring great acting performances. Those of you who have been curious to see it, but live out west, now is your chance.

Also, it is worth noting that there are two ASD related movies at this fest (the other is Max Mayer's "Adam"). Movies with characters on the spectrum tend to get marginalized by the studios as "fringe pictures". If two very different movies asbout aspies at the same festival both have strong audience turnouts, it will help show those folks that there are a lot of people out there who care about these kinds of movies an will support them. It is a major step to getting Hollywood to show more diversity on screen without constantly calling attention to it in less-than-helpful ways.

For more info on the fest visit www.methodfest.com
For more info on my movie, visit www.IfYouCould-Movie.com/Festivals

gary1984
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Mar 2009, 4:09 am

There is a specific documentary (film/program) that was on the bbc a couple of years a go. The program called 'only human - make me normal' followed the life and utter frustration of autistic/asperger people at a specialized school.

The documentary attempts to see the life of an autistic/asperger person, and it does this well. Unlike other programs or lectures, it is good because it actually shows life through 'their eyes' and films people actually diagnosed.

It was designed to give people a good sharp insight as to how hard it is living with autism/aspergers. However, the program may paint a negative picture.

The program can be found on youtube. It can be found by typing in 'make me normal', where you will find the program split into parts (part 1,2,3,4,5) etc. There is some swearing in the program, though.

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 9:53 am

Then there's the Australian movie Malcolm (1986). Well worth hunting down, if you can. The title character works for the government tramway company (long before privatisation!), where it turns out he's been using work time to build a one-man "tram" - complete with destination roll - which he then takes all around Melbourne. Soon his boss's discovery of what he's been doing costs him his job. To supplement his unemployment benefits, he takes in a boarder, who turns out to be living a life of crime. Eventually Malcolm uses his extraordinary talent with inventing gadgets to assist said boarder in robbing a bank by remote control! This film is hilarious. Especially the scene where he goes on a date, and indulges in an epic-length monologue on the characteristics of each tram model! A must-see.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPibsOExWHw[/youtube]