Please do tell: In what ways are you a hypocrite?

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2009, 5:58 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I tell people I'm against homosexuality, but [etc]

Wow, talk about being in the 21st century. :I

millie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 6:44 pm

i am actually not a hypocrite.
i am transparent and honest to the point of weirdness, i am told.

i do not have secrets. Although recently i tried to have one. first time ever ever ever in my life i have had a major secret actually.

it doesn't suit me as it conflicts with my need to be transparent.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 8:41 pm

I get annoyed when people don't listen to me when I'm talking about something I find interesting, but I'd usually prefer not to have to listen to others.

I can't stand people being vain, selfish or arrogant but I am myself very arrogant and selfish. I don't show it often though, but it's there all the same.

On the subject of people with physical disabilities, I passed a little person (I hope that is the right term) at a bus stop earlier in the week. I remember thinking "Wow! A midget!" which is something I would condemn someone else for thinking.

04 Mar 2009, 10:51 pm

I find myself giving people advice such as when people talk to me about how someone hasn't responded to them or won't talk to them anymore, I ask them if they ever tried asking them what they have done wrong. I find myself shy to ask the same thing. It's not easy to do so I have to force myself to do it. I just had to force myself to email someone asking that person if I had done soemthing wrong. I try not to be hurt by being ejected by her but oh well, I scare people off so what. It's obvious I did because she removed me from her favorite author list and my B&J stories. So I did the same to her. :D

I am hypocrite in other ways but I can't think of any right now.

-x-x-ANONYMOUS-x-x-
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Mar 2009, 5:44 am

I despise shallow people, girls with orange faces, cocky guys, but I do find myself wanting to take alot of vain looking pictures of myself and I can be quite arrogant sometimes, I possibly despise it so much because my mind is afriad to turn out like that if that makes sence.

(:

05 Mar 2009, 5:46 am

I know I hate ignorant people and jerks but I can be both myself. I also hate stupid people but hey I can be stupid myself.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 6:22 am

millie wrote:

i do not have secrets. Although recently i tried to have one. first time ever ever ever in my life i have had a major secret actually.

it doesn't suit me as it conflicts with my need to be transparent.

Secrets - well, if secrecy is a sign of hypocrisy, I'm guilty. But not when I think the other person has a need to know that exceeds my right to silence. Just that my thoughts are private unless I decide it's wise to divulge them. My real identity is a secret from everybody here, for example, because I don't think it would do any good to reveal it, and while the risk of harm to myself by revealing it is not great, it tips the balance. Is that hypocrisy? Because paradoxically I feel a lot more free to be straight when I know nobody can use it against me. I might get called a bunch of bad names one day but materially I'm untouchable because I'm anonymous. Even the name on my email account is a lie - I did that originally to keep the spammers ignorant in case the service provider sold my details.

Having said that, I have trouble sticking to my ideal and have harmed myself and others by blurting out something inappropriate. Something inside me hates concealment and it creates a tension in me. It's as if, deepdown, I crave an environment in which everybody loves me and will only love me more and help me more if I'm absolutely open and honest with them, and somehow that craving is at risk of becoming wishful thinking, so I have to be on my guard a lot of the time. To actively lie in order to protect a concealment is harder still - I'm perfectly capable of it but whenever I do it I feel very guilty (and paranoid about being discovered), so I try to avoid situations in which I feel forced to lie.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 6:54 am

i do not really understand the meaning of hypocrisy fully.

as far as i know i am an hypocrite (as i have been often told).

my girlfriend weighs 105 kg and she used to weigh 120 kg.
when we order dinner, i advise her not to get dishes that are too fattening that i nevertheless order for myself.
i am not fat, and she is, and i can eat things she can not. so does that make me an hypocrite?

can i not dispense advice unless i am living the same life as the person i am advising?.

if i knew a person had a fatal allergy to nuts, and i saw them drunkenly picking up a cashew to eat, i would rip it out of their hand and tell them they could have gone into prophylactic shock if they had eaten it. but then i would pop that cashew into my own mouth and walk off.

that is what i am taught is "hypocrisy" but i can not know why it is bad.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 7:27 am

b9 wrote:
i do not really understand the meaning of hypocrisy fully.

as far as i know i am an hypocrite (as i have been often told).

my girlfriend weighs 105 kg and she used to weigh 120 kg.
when we order dinner, i advise her not to get dishes that are too fattening that i nevertheless order for myself.
i am not fat, and she is, and i can eat things she can not. so does that make me an hypocrite?

can i not dispense advice unless i am living the same life as the person i am advising?.

if i knew a person had a fatal allergy to nuts, and i saw them drunkenly picking up a cashew to eat, i would rip it out of their hand and tell them they could have gone into prophylactic shock if they had eaten it. but then i would pop that cashew into my own mouth and walk off.

that is what i am taught is "hypocrisy" but i can not know why it is bad.

Good post......of course you're doing nothing wrong, in fact you're doing good there. I remember as a small child reading Aesop's fables, one story was followed by a moral of "never ask anybody to do something that you're not prepared to do yourself." I realised it was wrong immediately.

Whatever people may tell you, moral values are not set in stone and cannot be usefully reduced to simple, objective, all-embracing commandments. There are always exceptions. Morality is fuzzy because people are fuzzy. Rules are usually imposed by powerful people who have their own hidden agenda. Chuck 'em out and listen to your heart.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 7:40 am

It's the human condition, to be a hypocrite. I'm not sure in what ways I am one but I would never deny it. Everybody is one.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 8:23 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Rules are usually imposed by powerful people who have their own hidden agenda. Chuck 'em out and listen to your heart.

my heart is deafeningly loud to me and that is why i cannot hear the rules imposed by anyone esle.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 9:32 am

b9 wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Rules are usually imposed by powerful people who have their own hidden agenda. Chuck 'em out and listen to your heart.

my heart is deafeningly loud to me and that is why i cannot hear the rules imposed by anyone esle.

Good to know you won't be among the droves of people who compromise their hearts until they can't hear them any more. Hope I wasn't getting too evangelical and didactic there, I'm in a strange mood.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 1:14 pm

Is there anyone who isn't a hypocrite sometimes? It gets on my nerves at times, not others. The only time hypocrisy in others really gets on my nerves is when it's Christians. They talk about how Christian they are and they don't like me. I think isn't a Christian is supposed to love everyone Well, lol, not around here. Apparently. I say it's fine, it's human nature, but please, don't hide behind the stuff that's in the new testament because that offers hope to the downtrodden and you are just trodding on them.
How am I a hypocrite? Well, one thing I am hypocritical about is housecleaning. My house isn't filthy but it isn't perfect. It's somewhere in the middle, between filthy and spotless, but when I visit other people I want their houses to be perfect. Sometimes I make the mistake of smarting off and they don't like that. They get mad at me and say they have to "work" and then I feel bad for mentioning anything in the first place.