Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

schooling?
I am in a special education class. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
I am in mainstream classes but with an aide. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
I am in mainstream classes but with accomodations (no timed-tests, etc) 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
I attend a class or school specifically for those with autism. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I attend mainstream classes with no accomodations or services, and do not need them. 29%  29%  [ 11 ]
I attend mainstream classes with no accomodations or services, but I need them and can't receive them. 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
I am homeschooled. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Other (please specify) 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 38

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 10:14 pm

Yes, I was mainstreamed with no accomodations because there was no AS diagnosis when I was a child. I wouldn't be able to get special education today, because I had an A average and mostly made straight A's. I'd get the other option.. 550? Is that what it's called? 504? I don't remember. Whatever it is, it sucks. It's almost as bad as not getting services at all.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

aka010101
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2009, 2:15 am

ok, i graduated last June, so I'm going to give my comprehensive assessment of MY version of the special education in MY school district (Puyallup, for anyone who knows where that is. Or cares. :P)
I was put into special ed in about 4th grade (which made me repeat it , as i had skipped second grade and was in 5th at the time.) Special ed classes in my district were about a 50/50 split between kids with genuine neruological issues, and kids with attitude issues the district simply didn't know how to deal with. For the MOST part, it worked fairly well, with the kids being given a little more flexiblity in what they had to do every day. However, we were generally only given one teacher, and one aide for a class averaging about eight kids. I also have to note that while we got had SOME extra things in the class (which i suspect was largely due to teachers spending out of their own pockets.) The rest of our stuff was fairly old compared to the rest of the school. However, the class also had its own counseller for the kids, who we saw at least once a week.

Junior high was a little different, at that point, they let you out into mainstream classes on a case-by-case basis, and again, with a fair amount of flexibility. And, i must note, junior high seemed the best equipped of the special ed classes, with a special built room with its own quiet space. (which i must note, sometimes had to serve as a confinement space when someone got out of hand, make of that what you will). Slightly changed was the fact that the class went to the school counseller, but said counseller almost always had time for us, again this may be more a indication of a good person in the position , rather than any inherent good points on the institution's part)

High school, however, was quite poorly done. While they DID give a fair amount of attention to individual cases, often times the classroom more resembled a rehab facilty for juvenile delinquints. And let me tell you , mixing people like that and a bunch of aspies is a bad idea.
as well, the equipment was again, noticeably poor. Any class material we needed for anything had to be borrowed from a mainstream class, and the computers all predated the introduction of windows 2000.

As for the teachers...they ran the whole spectrum. Some were some of the best people i have met. with others, i am SHOCKED they even managed to keep their jobs, though most of the issue from that came from ignorance or apathy rather than outright malice.
sadly, i cannot name any names, for fear the district will find me and sue my pants off. Curse our litigious society.

Anyway, that's pretty much the whole story.

Oh, and if anyone else went through the puyallup school district's special ed system, PM me, it would be nice to compare notes, or possibly catch up on old times, on the off chance i know who you are.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 4:17 am

When I was in school I had not been diagnosed yet, so I went to mainstream classes and there were no accommodations.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 4:19 am

I first got into a mainstream school without accommodations until I discovered I got AS. I got diagnosed by the doctor and now I finally get those needed accommodations --- at my senior year of high school (this year).

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 8:34 am

I have always been to mainstream school, primary school I had no accomodations or extra stuff as I wasn't dxed until I nearly left, I did well though even if the teachers did think I was naughty.
In highschool I have an IEP but no extra "help" as I don't need, or want it. Mentors at school have offered but I always refuse, my mum says I should accept help just incase I might need it "take it while it's there" she says, but I hate being patronised and usually avoid that sort of stuff.
When I start college I am having a mentor I will see every now and again, which was my idea as college isn't as soft as school so i might benefit then.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:19 am

I go to a crappy school with crap teachers and 90% idiot students who disrupt classes all the time and I have maybe 2 friends.

I don't mind the friends thing so much because I like time on my own frequently but I sometimes feel that I wish I went to a special school coz I'd be a lot happier there.