My bedroom walls have no posters - aspie thing or just me?

Page 3 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Mar 2009, 11:26 pm

I don't think it's an Aspie thing to have no posters....I had my walls COVERED in 100s of posters, even the ceiling and both sides of doors until I was about 26. I took a few down, but a few are still up! I love them.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 11:44 pm

Mine used to be the same. But when i moved last year i put up some pictures, and i haven't bothered to take them down.

404lol
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Mar 2009, 11:45 pm

Anything but solid color walls slowly makes me depressed. When I was younger in my parent's old house they had three of my walls white and one with wallpaper that had a simple blue pattern. I hated that room.

Now this is a much better room:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=374712231&albumId=1132262

Last edited by 404lol on 11 Mar 2009, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 11:48 pm

I've never had posters on my wall but I don't think it's an aspie thing.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 2:03 am

Well, I'm a full blown aspie and I love sticking stuff on my walls. I'm the proud owner of both a Hellsing wallscroll and a Trinity Blood wallscroll. (wallscroll = giant printed fabric poster) I think my walls still look too plain; whenever I move into my new house, I'm going to decorate the crap out of my room.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 2:51 am

I believe extremes are an AS thing. When I was a kid my walls were COMPLETELY covered in band posters, and now I do not hang anything on the walls. In my case the wall was done very methodically and the slightest line off centre or horizontal was corrected as a matter of urgency, the same for the spacings in between they had to be as exact as I could get them. So from one extreme to another I now have nothing on my walls.

Another obsession I had as a teenager was the need to block out every source of light when I went to bed, this would take ages to accomplish, if when I finally got into bed I noticed even the tiniest pinprick of light, this had to be eliminated :roll:

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2009, 2:56 am

I'd say that it was more common in Aspies to not have posters on their wall.

I don't, and never did have posters up on my wall.

For me, I think it's the whole "avoids eye contact" thing because whenever I tried to put posters on my wall up of people to fit in, I always felt so uncomfortable as though they were watching me, so I took them down.

Whimsi-Cal
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2009, 3:30 am

I have maps on my wall and a few Harry Potter and Star Wars posters.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 4:10 am

This might be an aspie thing. I have empty walls too and I just don't feel anything is "missing" even though the walls are empty.

Optician_Of_Urza
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2009, 6:22 am

The walls in my room at uni are bare but my housemate's (also aspie) room is covered with posters, fliers, things dangling from the ceiling, origami stuck to the walls, etc.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 6:58 am

i have never decorated my house in any way. all the walls are bare and there are no ornaments anywhere either. people say it looks like i just moved in to my house when i have been here 4 years.
my furniture is just where it was placed when i dragged it inside 4 years ago. there is no sense to my lounge arrangements or my individual chair arrangements in my house.
they are all just plonked on the floor and that is that. people swivel their chairs to face the "social circle" but they have never moved them to a better position.

my girlfriend paints pictures which are not that good (they look like paint sample strips on a dulux promo pamphlet) and she wants me to hang them on my walls. they are all slotted into a disused room and i never thought about where to put them.

the only thing i have hanging on any wall is a clock in my lounge room.

all my house's walls are beige and sterile.

i do not like visual distractions so i do not place ornamental obstacles and stuff in my domain.

Flaggy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2009, 8:27 am

My bedroom at my parents house

Then when I lived with my brother - ths is just one side of the room.. there was 1 big flag on the wall, and a flag poster on the other side, and a few small flags taped into a fan shape on the wall

Then my apartment living room this last christmas

Before all the american flags on the walls, I had Manchester United footballs posters on the walls, and i filled one wall of my old bedroom with cuttings of the footballers taken from newspapers

Ihave never liked bare walls... I think walls are there to display things, and as I have a collection I enjoy displaying it
Dunno../. plain walls to me are just boring and uninteresting

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2009, 10:40 am

I only have a canvas which has some pattern on it, but I would of had posters when I first got my bedroom if my Mum allowed me too.
When I was 7 years old in my old bedroom I had about 3 posters but _a lot_ of papers on the wall right next to my bed from the Argos catalogue. I'd obsess over products I wanted and just re-read over and over again the catalogue page for the particular product I wanted and stare at them while I went to sleep. I also had A4 papers on there with snippings out of various catalogues.
When I got my new room I had to let go of the habbit and ended up having a dedicated cupboard with lots of papers in which I could access to read.
I don't know, I can't really get to sleep without reading or listening to music(I think my brain's a lot more active when I don't have anything to entertain it making it harder to get to sleep).
EMZ=]

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 10:41 am

as a kid i'd put some posters up. i saw other bedrooms that were covered in posters, and i was impressed by those, but i never put up any more than 3-4 posters

now my walls are clean

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:12 am

sbcmetroguy wrote:
My walls were covered with posters of my idols, who back then were heavy metal bands. I also had naked girls on the back of my bedroom door. I spent so much time inside my bedroom away from the world, I had to make it my own space to feel good. I kept the lights off and candles lit, and I'd sit there listening to my music while playing with candle wax. :)

Same here, with the exception of naked women. :lol: I used to have an obsession with music when I was a teen, so i plastered my walls with pics, and posters of all of my fav bands, along with my artwork. I also used to obsessively collect candles. It's amazing how many of them that I'd buy just for a few cents at garage sales. I still don't get why people don't want candles.

Now, my walls are pretty bare. I don't know how I went from one extreme to another. I really do need to decorate, as I'm always hearing female relatives remark about how bare my house is.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:17 am

I used to be like that and I used to not like posters and stuff but now I have newspaper articles and ads for Apple products on a section of my wall and a picture of a DeLorean above my table, it all started with that Top Gear calendar I got, because after I got that I didn't mind having stuff on my walls so much, so I filled it with my obsessions.