Official International Wrong Planet Conference / Festival

Page 24 of 29 [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 29  Next

blue1skies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Nov 2012, 12:29 am

That sounds really cool! I live far away from the US so I probably wouldn't be able to come but I wish I could. It's a great idea. Autism needs more supporters around the world, NTs and people affected by it alike.

N33D2focus2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Nov 2012, 8:18 pm

Absolutely love the idea Alex. Did not know such conferences did not exist. I like the "con" thinking too. Having been to "Dragoncon" in Atlanta....imagining something like this for autists would be wonderful.

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2012, 4:49 pm

So we can pool our talents in our unique Aspergerian way....

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 7:43 pm

I take it the conference is dead.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 6:22 am

I would love to attend. I could ride my bicycle in tight circles or figure eights playing guitar as I ride. I can turn in a relatively small area riding with no hands as shown in the following video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq126WChHhk[/youtube]

I can also ride indoors when it is too cold or wet to ride outside.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIrTjcHCNOc[/youtube]

I have written hundreds of original songs, come up with new ones all the time, and also know several dozen cover tunes of classic rock from the 1960s and 1970s. I have ridden tens of thousands of miles doing this since the early 1980s, and it provides some temporary relief from the physical and psychological stresses of my neurology. For me, it is a mediation in motion.

Without a working car, and with my very very very limited income, I would probably have trouble getting to the conference though. :( Still if anyone wants me there and can arrange the transportation, I could demonstrate what I do and also talk about what it was like to live my first forty years without knowing why I was so different from everyone else I knew or even heard or read about. I can also discuss how being The Bicycling Guitarist, for me, somehow helps my sensory overload issues, and also that the publicity and musical practice have helped somewhat with social issues.

I have played a two hour show every Wednesday night the past ten weeks in a row at a local coffee house, my first scheduled performances anywhere since the mid-1990s and the first ever that feature The Bicycling Guitarist as a solo performer. So far there haven't been many people at the shows, but response is generally positive from the people who are there. My YouTube channel has several videos of some of my recent performances.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 7:18 pm

Do we have to pass an exam to prove our aspieness to turn in artworks for the show?

vegankat
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Dec 2012, 12:46 am

I would like to come. I live in Australia. :)

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 2:17 am

Would love to attend.

I can also present on a few topics, such as:

- synesthesia (in relation to ASD)
- Autism in the university setting (I'm a successful college student with autism, going to be shooting for a master's and a Ph.D., and I recognize the plight of autistic university students, have been there myself, and am researching starting an organization that provides support, mentorship, and advocacy specifically for university students with autism and Asperger's.)

Personally, I think it should be held in the center of the country....as this is most productive for people from the whole country to attend.
On another note, how can we gain access to funding to attend? As I am a college student, I am broke when it comes to large payments.

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jan 2013, 11:11 pm

Alex,

The conference sounds like fun and something useful to. Las Vegas is probably the best choice. There are a lot of discount flights into Las Vegas from many different areas. Plus, it really is a convention town with lots of facilities and planners available. You can probably contact the Las Vegas Visitors Bureau or Chamber of Commerce and get all the help that you want for free. The only thing that stinks about Las Vegas is they allow smoking in a lot of places and I'm not a tobacco fan. And think of this, were a bunch of people who have a hard time coming up with things to socialize over. Well, Las Vegas has all sorts of things that provide the subject matter of great conversations. No, I'm not talking about the strip shows. There are many things in Las Vegas ranging from beautiful aquariums to museums.

Where can I keep track of the most current information on the convention?

Thanks for putting your time and effort into this project.

Regards,
Rob

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 11:34 pm

I wish the world was smaller (although then it would probably be much more crowded... so, scrap that), I don't have the money to afford a flight oversea. :(

ShelbyGt500 wrote:
Where can I keep track of the most current information on the convention?

I would be thankful about that as well. :)

And the idea sounds nice. Thank you. :)

SarahB88
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jan 2013, 11:49 am

Has this already happened? I am very interested in attending... I would be interested in the assistance to travel if sponsors were available...

Nathan1988
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jan 2013, 12:32 pm

There should be some sort of sensory room for those of us who need it. Quiet and calming for when we get overstimulated.

LovingTheAlien
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jan 2013, 10:00 am

Nathan1988 wrote:
There should be some sort of sensory room for those of us who need it. Quiet and calming for when we get overstimulated.

Yes. What puzzles me is that he wants it to happen in Hollywood or ... Las Vegas!! ! I think Las Vegas must be the largest sensory overload on the whole planet.

N33D2focus2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jan 2013, 12:16 pm

Alex, have dates been set for this conference? I am very excited about this prospect for many reasons.

I am ADD inattentive with other proclivities and hoping to attend and to bring friends / family on the spectrum.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=513040325396314 ("Drowning in Sensory Overload") my first artistic audio merge on Facebook. (Arty Cajun and Need TwoFocus on Facebook)

alex wrote:
So I'm going to create an official Wrong Planet conference / festival that'll be really big. Basically, It's going to be the biggest autism conference/festival in the world and will focus on showcasing the talents of individuals on the spectrum. It'll also be a great way for all of us to meet one another in person and hang out with others on the spectrum.

We'll have autistic musicians performing, talent shows, and other ways for you to get involved in sharing your talents. We could have contests, and ways for everyone to get involved. And we'll have a singles ball for single aspies to mingle with members of the opposite sex.

There will be events for parents and family members too and the whole conference will be open to anyone.

I want to do this conference in Las Vegas or in Hollywood at a nice hotel. We'll be able to get sponsors to pay for travel and hotel for those who cannot afford to attend on their own. This is not something I have any experience doing, however, so I'm going to need help from everyone here.

Basically this will be a week long festival where we all get to hang out and engage in fun activities together and give fun talks and what not. It'll be like Comicon but instead of dealing with comic book characters and that aspect of geek culture, this con will be all about how cool it is to be autistic.

Anyway, I really want to see what you guys think about this. No one has ever created a conference like this so ours will be the first of its kind.
Facebook - "Drowning in Sensory Overload""Drowning in Sensory Overload"

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 2:46 am

This little conference doesn't look likely.

Hend
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jan 2013, 8:20 pm

Tis a great idea Alex.
I wish I was able to come and join you in such an important event.
However, i live in Cleveland and my kids are still in school!
I wish the best of luck
and if I can help by any means please tell me.
I'll think of ways to help you while I'm here till your planned date :)