Self diagnosed people here don't have aspergers

Page 24 of 41 [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 41  Next

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 12:47 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:
Society isn't like government; there is no formal passing-of-the-reins ceremony, and no point where "they take over" as you've suggested. So we've gone from this being your opinion projected on what should be done, and moved to the belief that others must agree with you and that it will eventually end up being how you envision it?

M.

Take a look at how society has changed since each generation, each generation has worse and worse youth, so if this continues, they will NOT care about AS, society will be worse oriented as well, since this generation won't be able to handle it.

Ask a teenager in a high school; "Do you want to study AS when you become big?". The teenager will probably laugh and take it as a joke, I can't believe the view will be changed when they grow up, they will turn their backs on AS, and they won't tell their children about it.

Society hasn't gotten "worse and worse youth" each generation; that's a cop-out, to be honest, and more often a reflection of a conflict on values than any sort of merited reason. Your question makes no sense to me, B. If I asked how many wanted to study psychology, psychiatry and neuroscience, I think there would be a fair amount of positive response.

You're welcome to your opinion; just don't confuse it with fact or the future.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 12:54 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:
Society isn't like government; there is no formal passing-of-the-reins ceremony, and no point where "they take over" as you've suggested. So we've gone from this being your opinion projected on what should be done, and moved to the belief that others must agree with you and that it will eventually end up being how you envision it?

M.

Take a look at how society has changed since each generation, each generation has worse and worse youth, so if this continues, they will NOT care about AS, society will be worse oriented as well, since this generation won't be able to handle it.

Ask a teenager in a high school; "Do you want to study AS when you become big?". The teenager will probably laugh and take it as a joke, I can't believe the view will be changed when they grow up, they will turn their backs on AS, and they won't tell their children about it.

Society hasn't gotten "worse and worse youth" each generation; that's a cop-out, to be honest, and more often a reflection of a conflict on values than any sort of merited reason. Your question makes no sense to me, B. If I asked how many wanted to study psychology, psychiatry and neuroscience, I think there would be a fair amount of positive response.

You're welcome to your opinion; just don't confuse it with fact or the future.

M.

Do you mean the guys or girls?

I think the nerdy girls would say yes, but the rest would probably laugh and get a job as a carpenter, athlete, artist, butcher, hunter, photographer, journalist, hairdresser, policeman etc.

(No offense)

Last edited by bdhkhsfgk on 26 Jan 2010, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 12:56 pm

This is pointless, B. You're welcome to your beliefs, but try to remember they are opinions and not facts. Not everyone thinks the way you do.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 1:01 pm

There's a huge psychology department at my college. They're definitely interested in it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 1:09 pm

Rigidity tends to be an AS trait, but it's not like NTs can never display it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

FinallyMakingSense
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jan 2010, 3:57 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I appreciate both sides of this discussion. I can only say for myself, a 54 year-old mostly NT woman with a family tree laden with undiagnosed AS and a long history of being attracted to and in relationships with men with strong AS traits, that this community has given me more of a profound sense of self and life understanding than seven years of therapy ever did.

I've hesitated posting until now because I didn't want to assume membership in a group in which I hadn't "earned" my place. Thank you all for your posts on this thread.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 8:31 pm

FinallyMakingSense, my understanding is that WP does not exclude people on the basis of their neuro-status. If you find that WP meets some need or provides some value top you, and are willing to abide by the sensible rules of WP, then you are welcome to participate on the same terms as everyone else.

***edit***
You are more than welcome, and sorry about spelling your name wrong before, I have corrected the typo....

Last edited by pandd on 26 Jan 2010, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FinallyMakingSense
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jan 2010, 9:22 pm

So it seems. Thank you. :)

TonyTheTiger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2010, 9:39 pm

Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion, and even though I'm self-diagnosed, I can understand the skepticism.

But if it obsesses like an Aspie, stims like an Aspie, and analyzes, socializes, and thinks like an Aspie, I don't know what else I'm supposed to think.

FinallyMakingSense
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jan 2010, 9:52 pm

It seems like it is all a matter of degrees and how well one fits in a particular community.

For me, I've noticed through the years in other online communities that my posts often stand out from the others. It is noticeable enough to have been commented on by others many times.

On WP, I've found that many posters and even whole threads seem to capture my style of posting, with longer, more detailed, more precise, and more focused discussion. I really had no idea until I found this place that this style of writing can be associated with AS.

FinallyMakingSense
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jan 2010, 9:55 pm

Pandd, you've got to love a forum where the members actually care about spelling. :D

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 10:00 pm

Hrmph, iirc the DSM (or that psychology book they use in North America) is nothing short of a list of criterias concerning the various traits of autism. They roughly make a checklist of how much criterias you qualify for and depending on the amount, you can pretty much be anything from normal to Asperger, to full-blown autism. (That is roughly how it works =/ , i am unsure if the classifications are as clearly cut as i've done though)

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 11:49 pm

All four of the following sets:
{ Has AS, diagnosed}
{ Does not have AS, diagnosed}
{ Has AS, undiagnosed}
{ Does not have AS, undiagnosed}

Are non-empty, you may now go on with your life.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 12:00 am

FinallyMakingSense wrote:
Pandd, you've got to love a forum where the members actually care about spelling. :D

Welcome to Wrong Planet, FinallyMakingSense.

I agree with you that this is a remarkable place in its precision and intelligence. I too marvel at the subject matter that fits me.

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2010, 12:12 am

Messr Moony would like to declare that the OP has the least logical ideas of anyone he has ever seen.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 1:14 am

FinallyMakingSense wrote:

Yes, although it's a conundrum to care about these things when you have dyslexia. I sometimes have to reword whole posts to get around an inability to spell a word if a dictionary is not handy. :oops: