Page 243 of 291 [ 4650 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246 ... 291  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2014, 12:17 pm

When most of your emails are from special interest related mailing lists

when your NT husband tells you "you better be careful, you don't bore me but you have the power to bore people with the bird stuff"

when your husband prays "dear Lord, please make my wife more social"

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2014, 2:34 pm

You think you're giving someone a good compliment when you tell them, "that was a good lecture."

I did this yesterday. :oops:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 1:59 am

When you have 6 hours in between Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and a support group and you spent it in the library looking at newspaper articles from 1938 because you are obsessed about a hurricane that occurred at that time.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 8:10 am

When you can't stop talking about a subject eventho you know how much it annoys the person you are talking to, and you even get up - unintentionally - in front of the tv during one of his favorite shows to talk about that other subject that annoys him so much but that is so interesting to you. (and you do this as long as you are interested in the subject ... this could mean months or even years)

When you always tell the truth ... but have possibly learned to shut up sometimes, or to tell a "white lie" so you don't insult someone ... but you still manage to insult people fairly often despite your best intentions.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 8:14 am

LonelyJar wrote:
You might be an aspie if you go to WP to reply to random threads... and it's way past your bedtime.

I did this a minute ago ... and just now lol (5 am for me right now, couldn't sleep)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 11:05 am

If you're 24 years old but still wish you had no brother so that you can just have your parents to yourself.

If you're stressing out about a cousin's wedding coming up because everybody's encouraging you to go to it and you're still unsure.

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Oct 2014, 2:21 pm

You might be an aspie if you plan your days out and get frustrated when something you didn't expect happens in your day.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2015, 2:45 am

Oh god, here we go...30 examples.

You might be an Aspie/Classic Autism person if...
1. You are obsessed with school buses. 98% of the general population would care less about an old rear-engine Thomas or Blue Bird from 1993, but I have great knowledge in those types of vehicles. I remember 99% of all the buses I have rode, since preschool...which includes fleets in four school districts and out-of-district vans in one more district. In Washington, the OSPI runs a wonderful database listing all the buses in one particular district in service. I track that quite often to see when my old districts get new ones, and if they retire older ones. We have Thomas rear-engine buses dating back to 1990 in my current school district. They still get up and go very well. The district (and the one adjacent to it) ran tons of 1960s-1970s Gillig buses for years, before they were forced to retire due to a 2004 WA law that banned pre-1977 buses from service. Many districts in WA also ran Crown Coaches, but unfortunately many of them are in some scrap yard. Especially in California, where they have very stupid emissions policies that force Crowns to be scrapped, not sold to private owners. Pretty much all of my drivers by the way have been nice to me over the years as well, so that helps :)

1 1/2 (related to #1) - You would rather have a recently-retired school bus as your first "car" than a beat up Hyundai with a bad muffler. Start with the "hard" practice and then go easy...?

2. When you get frustrated over the littlest of things. I get frustrated when something happens at the last minute that I don't really enjoy. I plan out things and when things don't go in order, it makes me mad and frustrated!

3. When you are obsessed with the past. Based off my collections of antique magazines, antique postcards, vintage 45 records (and lots of antique 78 RPMs as well), and VHS tapes, I live at least 20+ years in the past, even though at school that's a different story. At school I act 17 (my age). At home it's more like 40 one moment, 63 the next. I am not the best to upgrade to newer things. It's 2015 and I have no Blu-Ray player at home, and my DVD collection is quite small, but there's 500 VHS tapes stacked in my closet and on a rack in my room! 8O

4. When you don't socialize the "NT way". I'm 17 with no Facebook, Twitter, SnapChat, or Instagram account to my name. Feels odd when a teacher asks "how many of you have a Facebook" and out of 30 kids, only 1 (me) or 2 do not raise their hand. But I don't care about that type of stuff.

5. You are a teenager, but you are one of the few who knows who Chuck Loeb and Norman Brown are. For the 95% that don't, they are smooth jazz guitarists. One of my favorite music formats ever because it is relaxing for me.

6. You would rather walk 40 miles on a mountain trail through the Cascades than go hunting with camo gear and a rifle for some deer or elk.

7. You absolutely LOVED game shows. Every day that I was sick in elementary school, at 10AM I'd lay on the couch and watch Bob Barker host The Price is Right. The pricing games just seemed interesting to me, especially ones like Plinko, Grocery Game and Punch-a-Bunch.

8. (Similar to 1) You remember what bus you ride by the number it was given, not the route number. For example, I rode a 2004 Blue Bird rear engine bus in Bellevue, WA 8th grade - bus #21547! That was the number given in chronological order by WA state when the district bought it. The rte number was 16. But I still remembered that 21547 was my bus, and 20774 (an 03 Blue Bird) was our spare bus when 21547 broke down.

9. When you haven't watched Spongebob in over 4 years and don't have the potential to watch it ever again. My best friend who is NT knows every line from the older episodes and keeps watching the Nick reruns. But I don't call myself an immature 8 year old anymore - I'd rather go out on a walk around town.

10. You get excited when you see an old Scotch or Memorex T-120 VHS box, with a tape chock full of 1980s/1990s TV shows on it.

11. You get even more excited when said VHS is like a time capsule, and has all the original commercials and promos from the time period. I LIVE IN THE PAST!! These tapes need to be saved, and especially the commercials, because those classic 1980s ads with the cheesy jingles will never be on TV ever again.

12. If school fire alarms scared the living hell out of you and your pinkie fingers went straight into your ear hole as soon as it went off - in high school! I still have issues with those alarms today, most definitely (and I even freak out looking at them) ones that had a low pitched, loud horn noise, like the old Simplexes and Edwards ones. Very sensitive to that noise.

13. You would rather be in hiking boots than the latest $250 pair of Air Jordans. For me, I'm not a starting QB or preppy guy who's only goal is to impress the most richest girl in high school. My goal is to be friendly with people, make it through school and continue on to college.

14. You inventory the littlest things instead of the biggest things. I volunteered for a few weeks at an elementary school working in the computer lab. Each computer had those big black Califone headsets (the ones with dual volume control, stereo/mono switch etc) and before the kids/teacher came in, I inventoried as many as I could, starting with set #1. What I found is 1/2, if not more of the headsets had either the left or right side totally shot. Unacceptable! I hope this school gets a new supply very soon, or there will be none for the kids to wear at all. I also inventoried my VHS tapes at one point, but the original notebook was misplaced somewhere and was lost.

15. You wear your Seahawks jersey with pride, but it's not always the same one as everyone else. 95% of the general Seahawks fan population is wearing Russell Wilson, 12th Man, Richard Sherman, Marshawn Lynch, Kam Chancellor jerseys. Same as their friends and their friend's friend. Me? I'm wearing an older 2008-2009 Aaron Curry jersey. It shows that I've been a fan since the Hasselbeck days! Again, I'm in the past!

16. If (in the past) you loved watching the Local on the 8's on the Weather Channel. I miss the old days of TWC...back when the only filler show was "Storm Stories". I enjoyed seeing Dave Schwartz and Kristina Abernathy, along with other OCMs in the early 00s. Turned into crap after NBC bought them out. Schwartz did come back to TWC in 2014, but the channel has gotten so crappy with all the reality shows that my viewing of TWC has dwindled to almost zero.

17. When you hate stretch-o-vision on a 16:9 TV. Either show the black bars on a non-HD program, or show an HD program. Stretch-o-vision ruins the picture.

18. You find every semi-truck interesting, especially late at night. In the Seattle area at 1 or 2AM, I am guaranteed to see one of the following distribution trucks on the interstate: Safeway, Fred Meyer, Albertson's, O'Reilly Auto Parts, Napa Auto Parts, Charlie's Produce, Sysco, Domino's Pizza, and a crapload of FedEx Freight and UPS double trailers. And I also love that there is NO rush hour traffic at that hour!

19. Instead of having to deal with the N-Spire confusing calculators the school gives you for math class, you'd rather have an old TI-82 or TI-81 calculator to use. Once again, I'm still in the past!

20. You have great geography skills, and know which highway goes through Kimball, NE, even though you've never been even close to that town. (And that is US Highway 30). You also know every town in the state of Washington, and all the roads around your old hometown.

21. You would rather do a 1500-mile road trip in a car or RV than take an American Airlines flight to Dallas. You would rather stop in all the little farm towns and find little cafes and stop at little local stores (and antique/thrift stores are a plus).

22. You would rather have a tame squirrel as a pet than a Golden Retriever.

23. Instead of watching cartoons, you as a little kid on a Saturday or Sunday morning flip the TV to CNBC, and watch the Showtime Rotisserie, Miracle Blade III, and Magic Bullet infomercials, over and over again. "Set it and forget it (R)!" And CNBC still has infomercials until 4PM on weekends!

24. Already mentioned way up on page 44 or something like that, but you loved the Teletubbies as a little kid. For me, I had a little plush Po I would go to bed with all the time, plus a talking Po (not the recalled version with the nasty slur I believe) which both were donated to Goodwill a LONG time ago.

25. If you would rather listen to a distant FM station over the air than through the internet. I regularly listen to Tri-Cities and Pendleton OR stations, sometimes more than my local Yakima ones.

26. You want to smack people that say the word "like" 10 times in a conversation. "Like, we went to this place and like he, like..." $@#&! I hate valley girl talk!

27. You are a teenager that listens to "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!" EVERY Saturday on your local NPR station. You enjoy Peter Sagal, Bill Kurtis, Carl Kasell and your favorite panelist is Tom Bodett (aka "We'll leave the light on for you").

28. You hate being at any event that has a TV camera filming. For me, I cannot stand it at all when someone is signing for a college at my high school - the local CBS affiliate's sports director always comes with his camera and takes shots of everyone in the lunch room, telling them "you'll be on the 6:00 news!" I can talk with him about his 21 years of experience forever, but there's no way I will ever be in the shot. I dread having the whole city and 10 more trying to get my name, email and phone and calling me saying "I saw you on the news!" That would make me very embarrassed.

29. You don't own a cell phone at all because it's a waste of your time. Why waste the school day and get it confiscated anyways by texting, Snapchatting, taking selfies, etc etc? A phone should always be a phone.

30. You hate rap music, because it's not music at all...just rapid talking with an urban beat below it.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 3:51 am

If you talk to yourself to remind you of something and keep track of things and keep doing it even though you know what to do and have echolalia!Because um :oops: I tend to do that a lot *hides*

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 2:14 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
If you talk to yourself to remind you of something and keep track of things and keep doing it even though you know what to do and have echolalia!Because um :oops: I tend to do that a lot *hides*

When I was in Air Force Basic Training, a rumor started that I was a plant from the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI), and that when I talked to myself in the mirror I was actually reporting back to my AFOSI superiors through a concealed radio. 8)

elysian1969
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2015, 2:27 pm

You were voted "least likely to ever get laid" in the Senior Will in high school.

You can look up at the clock and realize you've been doing cross-stitch non-stop for the previous six hours...

You have the entire discography of the band Journey on your phone's SD card- and you listen to it incessantly.

You get excited over car engine technical diagrams. :heart: :skull:

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 5:02 pm

-If you talk over and over about your interests and you're unaware that no one cares

-You're 22 years old and you still don't drive because you're too scared or just simply not interested in driving.

-You have no interests in sports and you're not coordinated enough for sports.

-You're in your 20s and you've never been in a relationship because you suck at talking to the opposite sex.

-You have a hard time understanding the concept of religion and think why would people believe in "fairytales"

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 7:29 pm

When you are having a stroke and your first thought is not I might be paralyzed, I might not speak again but this is going too be to much change for me to handle.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Aspie19828
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2015, 10:48 am

- you have no friends and you do not care.
- you make little or no eye contact when talking to others because you do not care.
- you do not care what others say/think about you.
- you are the only thing that matters to you.
- you have accepted your life is the way it is

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 11:43 am

1).When someone knocks at the door and you freeze in fear hoping they cant hear you, and stay motionless in case you cast a shadow across the door well, and just hope they go away.. Then feel bad, because you wander who it was!

2)You get so engrossed on a subject thinking that only an hour has gone by and its 6.30 am in the morning and the birds have started tweeting!

3) You laugh at someones comment only to be told they were being serious.

4) Your next to a random stranger in a que and ask them when they are due, only to be told she wasn't pregnant!

5) Again when in a que or people close by have their clothes tag hanging out, you just want to tuck it back in or rip it off, but have to use all the will power to not do it, but then the bloody tag is on your mind till they go away! Then you wander if they realized it was out and tucked it back in!

6) When you give a simple instruction to your crew of 12 and they all give you a blank look!

7) When you get ready to go out then when you reach the door the fear suddenly hits you and you go back to researching the origins of certain minerals.

8 ) When (if) you get a phone call to go round to a pot luck, and your first thought is 40 people in the same room all giving off different energies and an intense feel of panic/anxiety/fear... so decide to stay in and study minerals!

9) When someone is attracted to you and you don't realize it till their tongue is halfway down your throat and your first thought wanders if she is into Quantum theory and talking about existence in its entirety!

10) When a qualified engineer has a technical issue they cant solve and you have no experience in that area whatsoever and manage to solve the issue mentally for them.

11) When you have had the same cd playing in the car player for 8+months.

12) When you look for an engagement ring you also learn the gold composition, the grading of the diamonds, the geology of the minerals, the''re locations, how diamonds are cut/formed, how gold/diamonds are extracted from the rock, how they are found, mining of the minerals, studying mining maps etc etc

13) When in a large group of people you suddenly freeze, cant say a word, sweat, tremble, and want to get the hell out of there but you cant as you cant move..

14) When walking you are consciously thinking of one foot moving in front of the other and taking in your entire surrounding constantly.

15) When people ask if you are stoned all the time because of the glazed eyes and you a certainly not.

16) When you talk about an interest and within 20 seconds you have hypnotized them or they drift off or they turn away..

17) when sitting on a park bench and someone sits next to you, you freeze wandering if you should say something, then (b.)spend the entire time wandering how to deal with the situation and hope they will leave soon...

18) When sitting on a park bench and someone sits next to you and starts talking to you... Consult 17 (b.)

19) When someone asks , ""How you are doing?"", and you tell them the truth!

20) etc. etc. etc.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 12:20 pm

21) When you act childish but don't care if people notice.
22) If you dance in the grocery store when you find your favourite food
23) If you are literal minded and take things at face value
24) If you are obsessed with fantasy/sci-fi/fairy tales/any random thing under the sun and moon [or including the sun and moon]
25) If you make your bedroom into your own little personal hideaway nest

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII