Fictional Characters With Undiagnosed Aspergers or Autism

Page 30 of 60 [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 60  Next

ADD_Teen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Dec 2010, 4:16 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Delirium wrote:
Severus wrote:
Delirium wrote:
SadAspy wrote:
Delirium wrote:
If you're diagnosing him with Asperger's, then you're completely missing the point of the character.

Y'know when you respond to a series of arguments with only one sentence, that shows you are not capable of refuting the argument. Both myself and others have explained to why he's Aspy and you are just ignoring the evidence, instead relying on nebulous statements like the one above. If you truly want to debate this, then refute each and every point made by everyone else (or at least MOST of them).

Q_Q All I'm saying is that you're missing the point of the character.

Please specify. I can't really see your own point if you are not supplying arguments in its favour.

Ignatius isn't supposed to be autistic, or depressed, or whatever. He's supposed to be a jerkass loser who still lives with his mother, is too lazy to do anything with his life, blames everything and everyone but himself for his shortcomings, and is a massive hypocrite. His shortcomings aren't specifically AS; he's just a deluded as*hole with unwarranted self-importance.

Oh, and he's supposed to be a comedic character. If you're diagnosing a character that's supposed to be funny with mental disorders, then you lack a sense of humor.

Asperger's is a mental disorder?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

You just said that many Big Bang Theory fans lost their sense of humor when diagnosing Sheldon Cooper with AS, OCD, NPD & Hypochondria.

Obsession: Neuro-psychology, my boyfriend, neurology (stopped denying it).
Illy, I love you. :heart:

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 8:20 am

I don't know if she actually has AS or not, probably not, but I can relate to the way Belle is treated in Disney's Beauty and the Beast. The town folk all think that, despite looking normal (pretty, even), she's actually a big weirdo because she loves to read and seems to have her head in the clouds all the time. In fact, the first song in the cartoon is all about how the townsfolk think Belle is really different from everyone else. Belle also has no interest in Gaston, who the rest of the girls fawn over. Her father is an inventor, so she could have inherited his intellect and was probably educated by him, which enables her to see a reality beyond what the ignorant town people can see. Maybe her father actually has AS - he's a crazy inventor afterall, and she inherited some of his intellectual aspie traits...

This is what I often feel like, as though I can "see" beyond what everyday people can see, because I am constantly thinking and analyzing everything. Of course, if you were to talk about some of these things people would just think I was nuts because they can't see beyond their narrow worldview.

amanda952
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2011, 1:19 am

Has anyone seen the new show "Bob's Burgers"? There's a character on that show named Tina would suspects that she might be autistic, but yet when she told her parents that they didn't really believe her, they just thought she was socially awkward. Not only that, but she's also kind of manish too (no offence).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 1:30 am

amanda952 wrote:
Has anyone seen the new show "Bob's Burgers"? There's a character on that show named Tina would suspects that she might be autistic, but yet when she told her parents that they didn't really believe her, they just thought she was socially awkward. Not only that, but she's also kind of manish too (no offence).

Yes, I have seen that show, and there's a whole thread on WP dedicated to attacking the show because of the way Tina is portrayed.

-froggo-
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 4:18 am

NorahW wrote:
janicka wrote:
I'll second (or third) Butters from South Park.

What about Scout from To Kill a Mockinbird? She was pertty socially awkward and didn't understand the "normals'" bigotry and social attitudes against minorities because THEY DON'T MAKE SENSE!

But she wasn't that old, which could explain some of the social awkwardness. She was also a little girl in a family of boys and men, in the Deep South in the 1930's when little girls were supposed to be a lot girlier and less outspoken than they probably are now. And her dad was the least bigoted in the town, and she loved him verey much and learned from him. I heard she was based on Harper Lee herself, so if she was probably Harper Lee was too? Although I don't see why an NT kid couldn't be like her. All NT kids don't go along with everything everybody else does.

What about Boo Radley?

I got the impression Boo Radley was autistic/aspie when reading but I suppose we didn't really see enough of him.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2011, 6:40 pm

Wow don't have time to read all of those. I'd say Dr Xavier from the X-Men (high functioning), Pippin from Lord of the Rings "films"? (Or even Tolkien himself perhaps but not fictional).

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 6:51 pm

Adamantus wrote:
Wow don't have time to read all of those. I'd say Dr Xavier from the X-Men (high functioning), Pippin from Lord of the Rings "films"? (Or even Tolkien himself perhaps but not fictional).

Why Pippin?

amanda952
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2011, 9:25 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
amanda952 wrote:

Yes, I have seen that show, and there's a whole thread on WP dedicated to attacking the show because of the way Tina is portrayed.

Oops, didn't know there was already a discussion on this. :oops: And to be honest I didn't really think it was that offensive, but yet again I watch a lot of South Park & Family Guy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 10:25 pm

amanda952 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
amanda952 wrote:

Oops, didn't know there was already a discussion on this. :oops: And to be honest I didn't really think it was that offensive, but yet again I watch a lot of South Park & Family Guy.

Trust me, I don't take it to be offensive either. It's just that some other WP members apparently do.

Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 3:00 am

I've been watching Olivia recently. It's about a universe where people have basicaly been replaced by pigs. Olivia seems very ASish to me or at least extreme ADHD. Everything has to be just so with her and her teacher's attidue reminds me of my teachers' attidute, although Mrs. Hoggenmuller isn't abusive.

ADD_Teen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jan 2011, 2:11 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
I've been watching Olivia recently. It's about a universe where people have basicaly been replaced by pigs. Olivia seems very ASish to me or at least extreme ADHD. Everything has to be just so with her and her teacher's attidue reminds me of my teachers' attidute, although Mrs. Hoggenmuller isn't abusive.

Rofl, I'm diagnosed with extreme ADHD and have enough Asperger's sympthoms to be diagnosed as one.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 6:38 pm

ADD_Teen wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

Rofl, I'm diagnosed with extreme ADHD and have enough Asperger's sympthoms to be diagnosed as one.

ADHD was my original diagnosis as well and I was an extreme case as well. I'm also a chick.

This is who I am refering to in my original post. I'm not that famaliar with the books but in the cartoon, this piglet seems very much like a little girl with AS.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 7:52 pm

Bull Shannon, from Night Court.
Bull is socially clumsy and naive, often saying things that are unintentionally crude or gross - such as when he wrote a children's book about carnivorous dragons, then was filled with horror and dismay that his book might frighten children. And yet he can sputter little known facts, or can speak eloquently about certain subjects - such as when he told Harry how some scientific problem could be solved with yak hair. Or when he and Dan go out to pick up women, and Bull's pick up line is telling a girl how long her intestinal tract is.

ADD_Teen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2011, 10:46 am

PunkyKat wrote:
ADD_Teen wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

ADHD was my original diagnosis as well and I was an extreme case as well. I'm also a chick.

This is who I am refering to in my original post. I'm not that famaliar with the books but in the cartoon, this piglet seems very much like a little girl with AS.

What's your current diagnosis then?

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 1:18 pm

ADD_Teen wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
ADD_Teen wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

What's your current diagnosis then?

High functing autism

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 6:31 pm

Somebody surely must have mentioned it already, but I'd say Susan Calvin from I, Robot has Asperger's.
I haven't seen any of the movies but I just dug out my old copy of the book.

Also, Gloria Weston, the little girl that preferred to play with a robot than with other children. There is a nice picture in my book showing Gloria and Robbie after he saved her from being ran over and I remember that when I was a little girl myself (I think I read I, robot for the first time at about 5 or 6) I did identify strongly with the girl in the picture. I even remember telling my mother or perhaps my brother that I would rather prefer a robot than other children around, causing a brief surge of eyebrow raising.

Last edited by Severus on 18 Jan 2011, 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.