Self diagnosed people here don't have aspergers

Page 30 of 41 [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 41  Next

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 7:37 am

pensieve wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
Misdiagnosed aspies can be anything, mentally unstable, depressive and anxious NT's, fake aspies too, true aspies don't thrive in a high position in society, they don't want to become spokespersons, teachers, chairmen, artists or managers, if you're a fake aspie, you have no problems with travelling to a country on your own, you have no problems with arranging meetings in a company, you can smalltalk since the age of 13, you can make and raise a child and move in in an apartment without being noticed.

That's your opinion. Here's my opinion: true Asperger's is anyone that fits the diagnostic criteria. Anyone that is impaired their symptoms. If people didn't want to seek help for their impairments there would be no Asperger's. You would just be socially awkward, geeky, or weird. It is just a label that can help one get the right support after they are diagnosed.
Your "true Asperger's" sounds like an aspie that doesn't want help even though they need it. And that is sad, that is very very sad. They don't want to grow up, be independent, work, have friends and a family of their own.
I hate going to a new location, but I hate that I hate going to a new location. I hate smalltalk but I hate that I hate smalltalk and can't join in....etc.

Although you can have your opinion and I know I can't convert you to my way of thinking, just like you can't convince me that your true AS theory makes any sense.

This is coming from a person that's older than you, aka, a person who has far more life experience than you, he should be the one in position to talk if the choice were between you and him.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 7:52 am

Repost:

I was diagnosed with autism when I was two or three. I was now autistic. When it was changed to autistic behavior, I was no longer autistic. Then at age 12 I was autstic again when I was diagnosed with AS.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 8:12 am

League_Girl wrote:
Repost:

I was diagnosed with autism when I was two or three. I was now autistic. When it was changed to autistic behavior, I was no longer autistic. Then at age 12 I was autstic again when I was diagnosed with AS.

It's good to be adaptable, it's a useful life skill :wink: :D

Just goes to show how hard it is for a normal person to diagnose an ASD never mind people online who try to guess who is and who isn't.

I think it takes time, maybe over as much as a year before being able to notice all the little things that suggest the brain works differently if you aren't trained in brain and behaviour things and even then, many people on th spectrum can hide traits like say pacing.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 3:26 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pensieve wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
Misdiagnosed aspies can be anything, mentally unstable, depressive and anxious NT's, fake aspies too, true aspies don't thrive in a high position in society, they don't want to become spokespersons, teachers, chairmen, artists or managers, if you're a fake aspie, you have no problems with travelling to a country on your own, you have no problems with arranging meetings in a company, you can smalltalk since the age of 13, you can make and raise a child and move in in an apartment without being noticed.

That's your opinion. Here's my opinion: true Asperger's is anyone that fits the diagnostic criteria. Anyone that is impaired their symptoms. If people didn't want to seek help for their impairments there would be no Asperger's. You would just be socially awkward, geeky, or weird. It is just a label that can help one get the right support after they are diagnosed.
Your "true Asperger's" sounds like an aspie that doesn't want help even though they need it. And that is sad, that is very very sad. They don't want to grow up, be independent, work, have friends and a family of their own.
I hate going to a new location, but I hate that I hate going to a new location. I hate smalltalk but I hate that I hate smalltalk and can't join in....etc.

Although you can have your opinion and I know I can't convert you to my way of thinking, just like you can't convince me that your true AS theory makes any sense.

This is coming from a person that's older than you, aka, a person who has far more life experience than you, he should be the one in position to talk if the choice were between you and him.

That's an extraordinarily lame argument. "Experience" does not really change the fact that AS depends on the DSM. The DSM is well-specified and unambiguous. The DSM mentions none of the BS you are pushing for in regards of what a true aspie is. In this case, the younger guy apparently is more knowledgeable than the older guy. Hence the reason that argument from age is a fallacy. Being older appears to be unrelated to being right or not.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 3:39 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:

Sorry, radically disagree here. He is much more experienced in his own life; his perspective may be matured in different ways by time and experience. While it might well be worth listening to what the fellow has to say, believing it blindly or deferring due to simple age without other qualifying quality does not seem to make much sense to me... nor would I necessarily think that he was correct on the basis you claim. From the stereotypes... youth is impetuous and foolish; age, stubborn and ingrained. Balance works much better, in my opinion.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 3:44 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:

Sorry, radically disagree here. He is much more experienced in his own life; his perspective may be matured in different ways by time and experience. While it might well be worth listening to what the fellow has to say, believing it blindly or deferring due to simple age without other qualifying quality does not seem to make much sense to me... nor would I necessarily think that he was correct on the basis you claim. From the stereotypes... youth is impetuous and foolish; age, stubborn and ingrained. Balance works much better, in my opinion.

M.

The person who said it is a very successful aspie, he's independent and social, something that's worth taking a look or two at when you come up with an argument like that.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 3:57 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:

M.

The person who said it is a very successful aspie, he's independent and social, something that's worth taking a look or two at when you come up with an argument like that.

If you'll re-read my comment, I agreed that it may well be worth hearing what he has to say - but it would be on the basis that he might have something that worked for him to share, not due to his age.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 4:44 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:

Besides of the obvious fallacy of authority. Isn't this "successful, social, aspie friend" of yours the same one who said that true aspies can't succeed/be social?

Last edited by Vexcalibur on 08 Feb 2010, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoringAaron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2010, 4:53 pm

Maturity only comes with age to those who work at becoming mature. There are old people who expect maturity to happen normally, and this is not always the case. Wisdom works the same way, age does not bring it unless you bring it with you as you age.

BoringAaron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2010, 5:01 pm

pensieve wrote:

I like new locations, because I can be completely anonymous, and the people who see me being my weird self will probably never see me again.

BoringAaron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2010, 5:07 pm

b9 wrote:
when i came here i expected to understand most of the posters.
i expected to be able to talk to everyone and they would understand.

Having AS is like being in your own world. Two people in their own worlds are two worlds apart. The only thing we all have in common is that we have something that isolates us from each other.

b9 wrote:
but i realized after a few weeks, that here is a social pecking order here

I had no idea there was a pecking order. But now that I know, I will continue to ignore it.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 5:58 pm

BoringAaron wrote:
b9 wrote:

I had no idea there was a pecking order. But now that I know, I will continue to ignore it.

Same. Only "pecking order" I know of is posters, mods, admins.

Artkitten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2010, 4:28 am

pat2rome wrote:
BoringAaron wrote:
b9 wrote:

Same. Only "pecking order" I know of is posters, mods, admins.

Oh I missed that one too. Thinking back over the posts I've read and the few I've responded to, you're right...

b9
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 9:46 am

elderwanda wrote:
b9 wrote:
but i think i am more affected than many people here, and they ignore me because they are looking for more advanced social interaction which i am incapable of. it is not my fault because i did not build myself.

There are many times when you post something, and I'm very surprised that no one responded to it, because it was a really good point, or it was funny.

i am never sure if what i write here makes sense.
when i write programs, i can thoroughly test them for errors and correct the errors before i submit them to my workplace.
but when i write here i can not test what i write for errors and i just hope what i say makes sense. it is good that i sometimes make sense to some people other than myself when i write in an attemptedly communicative way.

elderwanda wrote:
I don't know if it's true that people are looking for more advanced social interaction. Maybe they are. One thing that I will say is that you are my favorite WP member. Or at least one of them. I always look forward to what you have to say.

i do not know how to reply to that. when i am happy i am prone to say what i feel is humerous, and i also give much thought to things i say that i am serious about.
i will not be happy again for quite a while, so i may seem to "dry up" over the coming weeks or months. i am sure i will return to my state of complacency when i am over what i feel anxious and sad about at the moment.

elderwanda wrote:
You don't understand sarcasm of metaphors, but you are really good at using your own metaphors to express what you want to say, in a way that makes you seem like an interesting, bright, good person.

i do not really use metaphors, but i use concretions of ideation that closely match what i am thinking because i have no other way to communicate complex things i see.
they seem identical to metaphors, but i do not know what metaphors really are other than the dictionary descriptions i have read of metaphors, and any dictionary definition is concrete.

there is a metaphor which i can remember on a show called "days of our lives" (that i never have watched, but often have heard the introduction before i changed the channel) and it goes "like sands through the hourglass...so are the days of our lives"(how can sand be plurified? sand is already plural) .
i can not comprehend the meaning of it and i can not see how an hourglass is relevant to life. but that supposedly is a true metaphor as i was told.

a pseudo metaphor that i may think of is "from the original tiny roots of my now giant tree of existence, did the trunk of my being sprout, and my slender sapling stem of youth had to grow hither about the obstacles it encountered, and it fattened and solidified into the gnarled and twisted core of the pillar that bears the weight of all i am today. experience may only prune my leaves and twigs , but my evolutionary pillar of essence is solid and immutable". (means i am "incurable")

it is not really a metaphor but a way of expressing in few words what i would take forever to describe in a standard way.

elderwanda wrote:
I hate the term "ODD" as in "Oppositional Defiant Disorder." I think it's another way of saying, "This kid is being disagreeable on purpose." I don't think it's a good label to put on anyone. If people see you as being deviant or oppositional, it's because they aren't understanding how your mind works. That's what I think.

i have an innate urge to annoy people who seem smug in their "authority".
it is a personality defect i believe.

eg: i was taken to the police station once because security guards saw that i was inspecting cracks in the concrete wall of a shopping mall. the cracks were interesting to me because i imagined the foundations of the building were not solid, and i was thinking about how the building would eventually fail after a few years. i was in my own world and when i was approached by the security guards, i could not account well for why i was seemingly obsessed with a wall in the shopping mall.
the policeman at the station was prepared to let me go, but he snapped his fingers at me and said "give me the pen" (that was on the table out of his reach).

i said i was not able to to do so because i did not see why i should spend the calories in reaching for the pen instead of him reaching for it.
i felt a sense of "how dare you expect me to spend my energy to get the pen instead of you getting it because you have got a badge on that i do not believe you deserve"

anyway, the situation deteriorated from me about to be released with no worry, to me being held for hours and investigated further.

once i was eating some mcdonalds in a carpark at night (i had to park somewhere to eat it after purchasing the mcdonalds from a drive thtough), and a police car pulled up beside me and the officer got out and told me to give him my identification (license) and i immediately felt defiant and i said "go and put your cap and your badge on and ask me then".
it resulted in an immediate problem for me as i was pulled out of the car and i resisted and i was taken to the police station to explain why i was so resistant to the c*ntstable.
i was not charged, but i was told that they had their eye on me.
my behavior was wrong, but i can not help it.
people in authority who i feel do not deserve their authority, i will defy before even thinking about the ramifications.
it is a problem for me.

elderwanda wrote:
In a lot of ways, you seem quite affected by autism, like not understanding figures of speech or what makes people do the things they do in social situations. But you also seem content and secure with who you are, and seem to be a person who cares about others in a kind and honest way.

i defy authority (that i believe is falsely gained) and smugness as much as i help and endorse simplicity of mind in people that are genuine and innocent. it is not my choice.
i dislike bossy smugness and i like honest simplicity.

elderwanda wrote:
I might not be on the spectrum, or maybe I am just a little, but for some reason I relate to a lot of the things you say. I like your sense of humor, too.

well that is good i think. i do not know what to say.

elderwanda wrote:
And now I'm going to put a :) to represent the fact that I felt kind of good and happy while writing this, because I was writing positive things about a person who I think is nice.

i like you too. you are a very fair person and you do not judge me on things that are unimportant. you make me feel safe,

elderwanda wrote:
Oh, and I do know that you might read this and not really care one way or another what another person thinks of you. Or maybe you will care. Either way is fine. I just thought you might like to know that you aren't completely ignored and misunderstood on WP.

i am far away from understanding people whether they agree with me or not.

it is like i am at the bottom of a very deep hole, and there are many faces that i see looking down at me, and most faces just glimpse me for a second and go away, but your face i see is more constant. i trust you and like to know you care a bit.
i will never get out of this deep hole because my brain is damaged, but it is good to see a familiar face looking down at me that returns to see me the next day.

bye.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 11:35 am

b9 wrote:
[i do not really use metaphors, but i use concretions of ideation that closely match what i am thinking because i have no other way to communicate complex things i see.
they seem identical to metaphors, but i do not know what metaphors really are other than the dictionary descriptions i have read of metaphors, and any dictionary definition is concrete.

there is a metaphor which i can remember on a show called "days of our lives" (that i never have watched, but often have heard the introduction before i changed the channel) and it goes "like sands through the hourglass...so are the days of our lives"(how can sand be plurified? sand is already plural) .
i can not comprehend the meaning of it and i can not see how an hourglass is relevant to life. but that supposedly is a true metaphor as i was told.

a pseudo metaphor that i may think of is "from the original tiny roots of my now giant tree of existence, did the trunk of my being sprout, and my slender sapling stem of youth had to grow hither about the obstacles it encountered, and it fattened and solidified into the gnarled and twisted core of the pillar that bears the weight of all i am today. experience may only prune my leaves and twigs , but my evolutionary pillar of essence is solid and immutable". (means i am "incurable")

it is not really a metaphor but a way of expressing in few words what i would take forever to describe in a standard way.

You use metaphors constantly. You call this "concretions of ideation that closely match what I am thinking about". That is a definition of a metaphor. Just because you can't understand other peoples' metaphors doesn't mean that the ones you create are pseudo-metaphors. They are as real as anybody else's. Your metaphors are actually better than the ones many professional writers use, which is part of why I always like reading your posts. Just because you use metaphors out of communicative necessity rather than as an aesthetic flourish doesn't make them pseudo-metaphors.

I understand what you are trying to convey pretty easily. Your constant use of metaphors improves my understanding and if you suddenly stopped I might have a much harder time understanding your posts. I think almost entirely in metaphors and talk in person using constant metaphors so that is the sort of communication style I understand best. When I post a reply to you I reflexively use a lot of metaphors myself but then go back and edit the post to remove them so you will understand me. Sometimes I fail to apply this metaphor filter to my posts and wind up confusing you. I do not understand why you are a one way street (metaphor) when it comes to metaphors, but that is just a neurological difference between us.

If I use one of your own metaphors, will you understand me? You once said that autism is like being inside a mirrored bubble. Different people have different degrees of mirroring on their bubble. I have put my hands up to the surface of your bubble so I can peer in and I think I can see you just fine, or at least a persona that comes through in posts. And I think you can see me to a certain extent too. Or maybe I am completely wrong and I don't understand what I see, I just think I do. Maybe this whole paragraph is babble to you and will mean nothing because it has been months since you used that metaphor.

I hope whatever situation that is currently causing you sadness and anxiety resolves itself. Or at least that it becomes less painful with time.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 3:03 pm

b9 wrote:
elderwanda wrote:
And now I'm going to put a :) to represent the fact that I felt kind of good and happy while writing this, because I was writing positive things about a person who I think is nice.

i like you too. you are a very fair person and you do not judge me on things that are unimportant. you make me feel safe,

Thank you for taking the time to post, and to say those things. I kind of feel like I ought to respond more, but I'm not sure what to say, so I'll leave it.