Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 12:25 pm

^
The credit card system is really different in Europe and to my knowledge UK too...

I have a couple of credit cards that are always fully paid - my bank doesn't do any of those shenanigans you mention.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 12:27 pm

Getting a credit card and keeping it reliably paid off can also help your odds of getting a loan to start a business or buy a home in the future, should those things be of interest.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 12:38 pm

I am too cheap to spend lot of money on one piece of clothing or on a toy. I don't buy new video games often. I do thrift a lot. We also shop at Winco.

I have a credit card because of how much money we get from Social Security and how my pay days are and our bills, we don't always have money to buy something we need or when I need to get gas because it's been spent on food or bills so I use my credit card and pay it when I am paid. I don't even need to borrow money. Lot of people use credit cards for this reason. They can afford it but don't have it right now so they use their credit card. Only a irresponsible person would buy a bunch of stuff they don't need and keep on going out and spending money on food and things and rank up in debt.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 1:14 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
^
The credit card system is really different in Europe and to my knowledge UK too...

I have a couple of credit cards that are always fully paid - my bank doesn't do any of those shenanigans you mention.

I can't believe American lenders are allowed to use explicit positive-reinforcement schedules to get people into lifelong debt. I thought the situation was bad over here.

In Britain, most people have debit cards, with which it's generally impossible to get into debt.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 1:18 pm

I can't go into debt as I have no way to get out of debt if I go in.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 1:21 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
^

I can't believe American lenders are allowed to use explicit positive-reinforcement schedules to get people into lifelong debt. I thought the situation was bad over here.

In Britain, most people have debit cards, with which it's generally impossible to get into debt.

Yeah, same here and most banks only offer a 2-3000 credit card and only after you already had an account with them for a while. There are also credit checks and some other requirements.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 1:27 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
^

Yeah, same here and most banks only offer a 2-3000 credit card and only after you already had an account with them for a while. There are also credit checks and some other requirements.

I assumed you were American.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 1:36 pm

To me, Voluntary Simplicity is just a corollary of the Golden Rule, which I have always followed. It costs me less than $200 pa for parts and depreciation for cars that are economical, reliable, and unfashionable. I won a world championship with many salvaged parts mixed into my work, beating teams with vast resources. I buy very little prepared food, never with service, and have made my own maple syrup. I can make appliances work again by taking parts from other junkers. Being so handy, I was slow to find the markets for cheap used things, sometimes buying and using new material instead.
However, I also have a credit card, and it has saved my hide a couple of times when luck turned against me.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 1:38 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:

8O :lol:

I know I mentioned at least once I'm not a native speaker (was complaining about English spelling of Russian (and other) names)

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 1:55 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

8O :lol:

I know I mentioned at least once I'm not a native speaker (was complaining about English spelling of Russian (and other) names)

Horrorshow! - As Anthony Burgess would say.

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jul 2019, 2:24 pm

Dear_one wrote:
To me, Voluntary Simplicity is just a corollary of the Golden Rule, which I have always followed. It costs me less than $200 pa for parts and depreciation for cars that are economical, reliable, and unfashionable. I won a world championship with many salvaged parts mixed into my work, beating teams with vast resources. I buy very little prepared food, never with service, and have made my own maple syrup. I can make appliances work again by taking parts from other junkers. Being so handy, I was slow to find the markets for cheap used things, sometimes buying and using new material instead.
However, I also have a credit card, and it has saved my hide a couple of times when luck turned against me.

For a while, I had an obsession with churning credit cards (too lazy to explain, just Google it) to milk as many points out of them as possible for as little money as possible and there was a time when I had as many as 20 credit cards open.. it was too much for me to keep track of while not making too many late payments that I ended up closing several and only leaving the few that earned me the most points.. and they also serve the purpose of providing emergency cash as well.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2019, 12:38 pm

Fern wrote:
I think a lot of people may not realize that not having a credit card is a privilege. At my old job, I was forced to get one, since I had to travel to different states for work and get reimbursed for my travel expenses after. Being that I was not a child who grew up with a savings account to my name, when I got out of school I had no pot of money to pull from for these work expenses in my first job. The worst part was that they never reimburse the interest on those work expenses, and they seldom reimbursed me within the month.

It sounds like a raw deal, but you'd be surprised how common this is for entry level jobs that require travel.

Yes that's a raw deal, like a lot of things to do with the world of work are. I've always thought my jobs were lousy, but looking around it seems that most other jobs are even worse. I'm still very glad I got out though.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 5:38 am

I am very careful with money usually. But I don't have much to spend. I remember years ago I saw a wallet for £3.99. I didn't buy it as I did not need a wallet. Most wallets don't take coins. When my wallet wore out and it reached a stage where money was falling out, I decided to buy a new one. I went to look. £7.99. How much! I couldn't find any for £3.99. I could afford £7.99 but it was too much out of principle. I spent the next two years trying to find a £3.99 wallet. Then about six months after that I happened to have 45 minuted between trains, and I went in a shop. Nothing seemed to be priced. I asked "How much is this..." and "How much is this?" The young lady kept saying a pound. After asking six or seven times I asked "Is everything a pound?"
She said "You're in a pound shop. What do you think?"
I hadn't noticed I had walked into a pound shop.
then I saw a wallet. The last one. One outer zip was broken but the inner zip (The bit I needed) was fine. I went to ask if she had any more in stock and she said "I will let you have it for 50p. So I had a wallet for 50 pence.
I went back home and said the entire story. My dad thought it was hillarious. He said "You tight person!" and was mentioning that if I opened my walled moths would fly out of it! I doubt it. The last wallet had too many holes!

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2020, 7:29 am

I am careful with my money, especially paycheck money. If people suggest for me to buy things, I usually tell them that I'm saving my money. I save a lot of change too. I don't like wasting it on little things, and do save them up. I also let amazon gfitcards build up to hundreds of dollars.

With gift money, admittedly I splurge more but I still let it build up to certain amounts before I do this.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so