Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 7:55 pm

cosmiccat wrote:
Quoting dddhgg
Quote:
You might also like the only preserved recording of her voice (1937): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8czs8v6PuI. Her voice is very "upper class", but also pleasant to listen to. And it fits her appearance quite well, I think.

Wow! Thanks for that link. Never thought I'd ever get to hear her voice. I did something interesting with the transcript of that reading, interesting to me, at least. I substituted "love" for "words' (or speech, language) and I think the two are amazingly interchangeable, at least in this particular piece, The result becomes a very good insight into the nature of love, and helps me to stay on topic. :lol: I'll share a few paragraphs of Woolf's thoughts about words when transformed into thoughts about love.,

Love Fails Me
Thus to lay down any laws for such an irreclaimable vagabond is worse than useless. A few trifling rules of grammar and spelling is all the constraint we can put on words of love. All we can say about love, as we peer at it over the edge of that deep, dark and only fitfully illuminated cavern in which it lives – the mind – all we can say about it is that love seems to like people to think before they use love, and to feel before they use love, but to think and feel not about love, but about something different. Love is highly sensitive, easily made self-conscious. Love does not like to have its purity or its impurity discussed. If you start a Society for Pure Love, it will show its resentment by starting another for impure Love – hence the unnatural violence of much modern love; it is a protest against the puritans. Love is highly democratic, too; it believes that one love is as good as another; uneducated love is as good as educated love, uncultivated love as good as cultivated love, there are no ranks or titles in love’s society. Nor does the word love like being lifted out on the point of a pen and examined separately. Words of love hang together, in sentences, paragraphs, sometimes for whole pages at a time. Love hates being useful; love hates making money; love hates being lectured about in public. In short, love hates anything that stamps it with one meaning or confines it to one attitude, for it is love’s nature to change.

Perhaps that is love’s most striking peculiarity – the need of change. It is because the truth love tries to catch is many-sided, and love conveys it by being many-sided, flashing first this way, then that. Thus love means one thing to one person, another thing to another person; love is unintelligible to one generation, plain as a pikestaff to the next. And it is because of this complexity, this power to mean different things to different people, that love survives. Perhaps then one reason why we have no great poet, novelist or critic writing today is that we refuse to allow love its liberty. We pin it down to one meaning, the useful meaning, the meaning which makes us catch the train, the meaning which makes us pass the examination…

Quote:
By the way, as you seem interested in Anthony Storr, have you already read "Solitude, A Return to the Self"? I really like his analysis of (voluntary) solitude as a largely positive and creative concept. It's influenced my thought quite a bit lately, in addition to Thoreau.

I'm reading it now. He's got some amazing ideas, don't you think? (I left my computer at this point, went downstairs to get the mail, and found to my delight, that the second book of Storr's that I'd sent for had arrived, "Churchill's Black Dog, Kafka's Mice". :D) What I find most interesting are his ideas about attachment and how if that is not possible, or hasn't happened for a variety of reasons, a child may and most often does, turn to solitude where he or she can create his own world of belonging, and that this seems to be the case with many of our most gifted artists, writers, musicians down through the ages. Kafka is a prime example of this, as pointed out by Storr. I turned to solitude at a very early age, at about 2 or 3 years, when I realized that I could not get what I needed from my mother, namely, security, the security of my mother's love. Whether or not this was actually true, or due to a glitch in my perception, doesn't alter the fact that I believed it to be true, and from that young age decided not to expect her to provide me with love and security, even though I endlessly continued to wish for it. I also decided at that point that I would have to provide those basic needs for myself, become my own mother, and eventually, or so it seems, a mother to everyone who, in my opinion, needed a mother. I even became known in my neigborhood as "Little Mother Hen" because I was always bringing home younger children who seemed lost and neglected, feeding them, giving them baths, putting clean clothes on them, teaching them. I wanted to become a pediatrician, but that never happened.

A beautiful sentiment topic

Thanks for sharing, CC. So right about Kafka. I will check out Storr's book.

I feel as if I am in a virtual book club. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 5:16 am

cosmiccat wrote:
musicboxforever wrote:
Yes, love is a lazy generalisation. Since writing my previous post I realise that I may be in love with someone else. This is mad, bear with me. Because I have trouble detecting how I feel and describing it, I sometimes am surprised by other people's reactions to how I behave.

I spent a bit of time with some friends at the weekend. Which is unusual for me and I enjoyed it immensely. But this guy I like actually took the time to speak to me. I enjoyed his company. Later I ran into someone I hadn't seen in a couple of months and he said, "you look happy." I said, "do I not usually?" He said, that wasn't what he meant and that I looked radiant. I may be in love. I may not. I dunno.

I feel a bit woozy. I don't like it.

I don't like to be touched either. I related to Thomas Covenant's "don't touch me". But I really don't mind this guy being in my space. I don't feel invaded.

But I like spending time with him. Now I don't know what to do because he is very shy and I'm not sure if he likes me back, but he looked unusually happy the other day too.

I don't understand love. I get to this point and start to flake out. I don't know how to handle situations like this. I have a sneaky suspicion he doesn't either as we are both in our late 20s, but neither of us have ever had a relationship with anyone.

I don't really have the words to say how I feel.

I am just so thrilled for you. It's as if I looked out my window and saw a flower blooming, suddenly, out of nowhere. I am in my 60s, and I don't know what love is either. Just go with it. Wow. How exciting.

Thanks. I'm actually a little embarrassed now I've read over what I wrote. We seem to go through this every year and it goes nowhere. I don't know when I'll see him again. He has a tendancy to drift back into his own wee world and I don't see him for months at a time.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 5:30 am

Moony wrote:
What is love?
Baby don't hurt me, no more.

I was so gonna say that.

No, but seriously...I love my girlfriend.

I love my special interests.

I love/loved my now-deceased pets.

I really like a lot of people that NTs would refer to as people one would love.

Irisrises
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2010, 5:57 am

Love is two things:

1. It is a distinguishing feature of life on earth. These also include food, sex, sleep, growth, death. They are probably not completely unique in the universe but they are different from the vast mass of the universe, which consists of what many religious people call bliss or heaven or something similar. It is a cycle of construction and destruction where nothing is separate from anything else. So because of love and the other features the earth rotates like a very rare little pearl in the vastness.

2. It is a tribal affiliation. People and many other animals identify themselves as groups, usually by family ties but in today's literate and technological world also by politics, fashion, music or whatever, linking them to other people regardless of time and place.

But family is still one of the strongest bonds. I love my siblings more than I can say even though I never see them, and I know that we are a force to be reckoned with, even though we are not together. I also love my so-called SO even though his mind is hierarchical and evasive, the opposite of mine. Well, I am often evasive towards others but not with him, whereas he is the opposite.