Page 4 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 10:17 pm

13 out of 20

Although I find it pretty hard without the context, faking a smiling and letting it look genuine by thinking about something that does make you laugh can also achieve near-identical results.

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 11:21 pm

17/20
I wish they had stated what the difference was (smile caused by happiness versus just moving the mouth) before the test because the whole time I was thinking "they're doing it on command so it must be fake." The ones I got wrong were genuine that I labeled as fake. I was actually surprised I did that well, because I'm usually terrible at recognizing facial expressions out of context.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 11:54 pm

15/20

From the website:

"Most people are surprisingly bad at spotting fake smiles. One possible explanation for this is that it may be easier for people to get along if they don't always know what others are really feeling."

Score one for the Aspies. For once, we're in the majority.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

seaspoon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2010, 8:02 am

15/20. I'm an NT by the way. Mostly I looked at the eyes and went on gut feel, but most of them looked fake to me!

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 8:49 am

seaspoon wrote:
I'm an NT by the way.

Are you sure? lol :nerdy:

AbbieJay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2010, 9:54 am

13/20

I was watching their eyes at first but, then I noticed they were all looking straight ahead. So, then I looked for certain head movements. It was harder than I thought though... 8O

MonkeyMojo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2010, 10:26 am

16/20, but was not confident of any! I felt that the eyes creasing was the clue, but I think the site says that is common in fake smiles. Whatever!! !

I have learned a lot of social responses, I wonder if my fake smile is convincing? :P

VolcanicEruptions
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2010, 2:29 pm

I scored 12/20 - it was hard to distinguish genuine smiles from fake smiles.

TJB20
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2010, 5:26 pm

12/20

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 5:31 pm

nodice1996 wrote:
10/20. Most of the ones I got wrong were genuine smiles that I marked fake.

Same here.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 8:09 pm

18/20 by using a very simple trick... If there were wrinkles at the corner of the eye, I marked it genuine.

This is also how I make my own fake smiles look genuine. Seriously, I practiced them in the mirror. I want people to feel as though I'm connecting with them, and a genuine-looking smile is one of the best ways to do it. People don't like it when they get a "blank wall" expression from me, so I have to try to connect on the NT level. I'll drop it when I'm with another autistic, but NTs depend so much on facial expression that you can't really get all that much across to them unless you learn to do the face and body stuff.

Could somebody who got a 12/20 or less on the test do me a favor and try it again, only this time by looking only at the corners of the eyes and marking "genuine" whenever you see significant wrinkling there? I want to figure out how much of my decent score comes from practice and how much comes from the idea that genuine smiles are just easy to spot if you know the "rule".

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

matt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 8:36 pm

I got 7 out of 20 correct before, and got 16 out of 20 when I went just by the wrinkles at the corners of the eyes as Callista said.

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2010, 9:17 pm

I scored 11/20. Not too surprising.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 9:26 pm

Callista wrote:
18/20 by using a very simple trick... If there were wrinkles at the corner of the eye, I marked it genuine.

This is also how I make my own fake smiles look genuine.

So finally all the smiles were probably fake lol

TiredGeek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2010, 9:58 am

I first took the test without reading or remembering correctly, what to look for. I got a 13/20. Thought more were fake than there actually were fake.

I took it again the next day, after mostly forgetting the results, but had read the thread and tried to pay more attention to the eye creases. I got 18/20.

I wonder if something like this could be used to teach us aspies/auties to read face and body language, perhaps as part of a computer game or something.

Zur-Darkstar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2010, 10:42 am

I got 13/20, but I missed 4 of the first 5 then only 3 thereafter. After the first 5, I picked up that when a person fakes, their head remains still, but a legitimate smile is generally accompanied by other things, such as laughter or surprise, so their head moves slightly as if they were starting to laugh. I actually used this one cue and ignored everything else the last 15 pictures and got all but 3 correct. This is pretty typical of me. Since I have no social instincts, I pick up one aspect of behavior to read (usually vocal tone is easiest for me), and pretty much ignore everything else.