Does anyone here have a hard time saying I love you?

Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Silachan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jul 2011, 2:09 am

It's very difficult for me to say it to my mom, and I never understood why. I do love her, but I find it hard to hug her even.

It's awkward for me to say it to my bf, and I sometimes have to sit and process it when he says "I love you", and realize that means I'm supposed to say "Love you too". I like that phrase 'I tell you everytime I kiss you'. hehe. I should use that more often.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 2:23 am

Last time someone told me they loved me, my response was "I know." Well, it worked.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 5:15 am

I think it's a phrase that becomes meaningless as you can mean it one day and not the next so it only really holds for that particular moment when said.

It's also just another way of saying 'You are valuable to me' which could be seen as selfish ie you are saying what you think will enable you to hold on to the person.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 9:05 pm

That reminds me!! !

I was in my math class at the end of my senior year, and it was the only class I truly enjoyed.
Reason why?
I had friends in there that would talk and laugh and joke with me.
Well, I had this one friend.
I knew he was out of my league, I knew he didn't like me in any way romantically, and I respected that (but I still had a crush on him, just quietly).
He was joking around and said I love you (because he says this to everyone) and obviously I knew he didn't love me but I thought he liked me.My face flushed red and I said Love ya back in the most awkward aspie-like way possible and waited for class to end.
It screwed up the dynamics of that class, and that kinds of taints the experience of saying I love you.

But, I can easily say it to family.
Actually, every day before I go running I make sure to say it to at least on of my family members just in case it is my or their last run.

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 9:44 pm

I definitely have a hard time saying it. I think it looses value if you say it all the time for no good reason. So I don't say it if I don't mean it. The only person I can say it to easily is my best friend.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 9:50 pm

I can say it, but only when I mean it. My ex-boyfriend told me he could tell we were in for a breakup when I stopped replying "I love you too" in response. I still cared about him as a person, but couldn't reciprocate his feelings.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 10:00 pm

I struggle with saying this phrase. It's not because I don't mean it though; i'd say it to almost everyone if i could

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

05 Jul 2011, 10:01 pm

Yeah. You should only have to say "I love you" once for the other person to know that you love them.

K_W

05 Jul 2011, 10:09 pm

I have trouble as well... to everyone but my wife. My parents know I do but it confused them for years until the finally asked me when I was about 11

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 2:13 am

i cant say it. can't to my family because it isnt true and because it is too emotional. i dont like telling them how i feel. can't to anyone or anything else(except my pets) for reasons unknown. when i tried to say it about a book it came out as la-lyve(a mix of love and like)

justjelliot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2011, 2:00 pm

YoshiPikachu wrote:
I have always had a hard time saying I love you to people and was wondering is anyone else did.

Kevin James quits saying I love you in King of Queens

http://aspiespy.blogspot.com/

Last edited by justjelliot on 06 Jul 2011, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meredith1629
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jul 2011, 2:14 pm

I think this is a mostly Aspie dominated thread but wanted to throw in my two cents if it's okay.

My sort of boyfriend right now and I have a long history - on and off again since 2004. He had a very hard time telling me he loved me and it did kind of hurt me because I felt (and still feel) such a deep love for him. I guess when you love someone like that you want it to be reciprocated. But again, I wouldn't want him to lie to me if it weren't true.

I am okay with loving him even if he doesn't love me back or just can't say it.

He has said to me that he doesn't think he "feels things like other people." The first time he told me that it shook me b/c I wondered if he could ever feel anything for me at all. Is this something that is an aspie trait? I am new to learning about this.

Thanks everyone for your insight!

Thanks for all of the support here!

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2011, 12:16 am

I do. When I was younger my parents would say "I love you" and I would usually say "Okay." I can't even tell my animals that I love them :( In addition I have a hard time saying "thank you."

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 8:35 am

meredith1629 wrote:
I think this is a mostly Aspie dominated thread but wanted to throw in my two cents if it's okay.

My sort of boyfriend right now and I have a long history - on and off again since 2004. He had a very hard time telling me he loved me and it did kind of hurt me because I felt (and still feel) such a deep love for him. I guess when you love someone like that you want it to be reciprocated. But again, I wouldn't want him to lie to me if it weren't true.

I am okay with loving him even if he doesn't love me back or just can't say it.

He has said to me that he doesn't think he "feels things like other people." The first time he told me that it shook me b/c I wondered if he could ever feel anything for me at all. Is this something that is an aspie trait? I am new to learning about this.

Thanks everyone for your insight!

Yes it kind of is.

danum
Raven
Raven

09 Jul 2011, 10:55 am

I've never said it, never had the opportunity.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Jul 2011, 12:00 pm

I'm afraid if i was in a relationship I'd be verbally abusive. then i'd probably want to try a punch to the face. so I try to stay out of serious relationships with anyone, (I was also physically & mentally abused when i was a kid so i know that i'll repeat that behaviour.)

thus i'm destined to be alone forever. because i dont want to do that to another person