Page 4 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 5:49 pm

Wha, I'm thinking about buying Hearos Tan Ear Plugs. And perhaps a silicone mold style ear plugs (15 dollars).

I was once laid off for wearing ear plugs, they couldn't fathom why I'd be wearing them during a meeting.

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2012, 9:40 pm

I wear silicone earplugs when I sleep. They are like blobs of silicone. I can't wear earplugs during the day because they make my tinnitus worse. At night the tinnitus mixes with the sound of my white noise machine, so it's not a problem. The only drawback of the silicone ones is that my hair sticks to them when I sleep...

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 9:59 pm

I don't like the heroes earplugs...they don't work for me....I find that regular foam ones actually block out noise better! but I have a friend (who is also an aspie) who really likes them and only uses this kind....................

I wear foam earplugs on the subway and bus.......they're better than nothing...........

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 2:56 am

I wear foam type earplugs for sleeping... otherwise every little sound wakes me up. Living on the same side of the building as the parking lot and its noise doesn't help. When I'm listening to my iPod or DJ'ing, I use my in-ear monitors (like the ones musicians use while performing on stage). Nothing better for blocking out background noise and bringing the music right to my eardrums! :D

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 10:17 pm

Sometimes I wear them and sometimes they help other times they don't and sometimes they can make it worse for me because the trigger sound I am trying to block comes through and other sounds are muffed out so I fixate on the trigger more. And sometimes they make me hear my heartbeat which can bother me as well.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 10:32 pm

I live in earplugs. I only take them off if listening to music or when I need to hear what someone is saying better in a relatively quiet place. I use the silicone ones - the ones I have now are surprisingly good, to the extent where I can't hear my alarm go off in the morning unless I turn it up really loud.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2013, 11:05 pm

Earplugs have always given me ear pain afterwards, maybe because of the wax build up.... and they are soooooo uncomfortable. I don't know how anyone can use them for sleeping. How can you sleep on your side with them on? I've read of people using earplugs and then getting tinnitus after long-term use (it may be because earplugs can touch certain sensitive parts of the ear canal and then cause damage, who knows?)

It scared me when i googled "ear plugs" and "tinnitus" 8O Maybe some people get tinnitus from them and others don't. I do know that I've never found a comfortable pair of earplugs and i've tried a lot! Perhaps noise-cancelling headphones are safer?

i don't want to alarm anyone, it's just what i've read online...anecdotes. Maybe they are perfectly safe, who knows :?:

Earbuds never stay in my ears....they fall out!

White noise just creates more noise and makes a deep sleep impossible. i've had fans on at night and probably never got past stage 1 sleep due to constantly hearing the fan in the background.

mindset_2_0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jul 2013, 2:47 pm

tjr1243 wrote:
Earplugs have always given me ear pain afterwards, maybe because of the wax build up.... and they are soooooo uncomfortable. I don't know how anyone can use them for sleeping. How can you sleep on your side with them on? I've read of people using earplugs and then getting tinnitus after long-term use (it may be because earplugs can touch certain sensitive parts of the ear canal and then cause damage, who knows?)

It scared me when i googled "ear plugs" and "tinnitus" 8O Maybe some people get tinnitus from them and others don't. I do know that I've never found a comfortable pair of earplugs and i've tried a lot! Perhaps noise-cancelling headphones are safer?

i don't want to alarm anyone, it's just what i've read online...anecdotes. Maybe they are perfectly safe, who knows :?:

Earbuds never stay in my ears....they fall out!

White noise just creates more noise and makes a deep sleep impossible. i've had fans on at night and probably never got past stage 1 sleep due to constantly hearing the fan in the background.

Use soft disposable ear plugs which you dispose regularly (details can be found earlier in this thread) and try suitable pink noise generators additionally. It works. Really.

HopefulFlower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2013, 2:52 pm

Yes. I'm using them at this very moment because I'm stressed and don't want to "blow". They are for use in water and sleep and whatever you need and come with a plastic container.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 2:54 pm

I can't wear earplugs because I can hear my own heart beating with them on and it drives me mad.