Page 4 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 1:03 pm

i walk on my toes with my hands up, kinda like a dinosaur. sometimes with my arms striaght down. i do not move my arms when i walk

mmonroe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2012, 12:11 am

I've always walked very fast, even as a child. Now it's difficult for anyone to keep up with me if I walk at my normal pace, so I am usually expected to control myself, therefore, feeling like a caged animal when walking with others. When I worked at Stanford, one of my colleagues told me that I sounded like an army coming down the hallway. It was funny at the time, because I'm a tall but slim person, so I then learned that I walk with a purpose. Now, when my Mom hears me coming from a distance, she refers to my footsteps as the "Stanford walk" and we always get a chuckle out of it.

I tend to swerve as I walk and I am most comfortable when looking at the ground. I never understood why. I figured I was trying to avoid tripping over cracks in the pavement...or trying to avoid falling into any holes that may suddenly appear! I also can't stand still, so I always have to rock back and forth when I'm talking to someone or I feel the need to lean on something. And I always have to carry my bag and a Starbucks cup (even when it's empty) as a 'security blanket'. It's really interesting that I never thought about these things possibly being connected to all of my other "quirks".

I'm not officially diagnosed, but I just started researching AS and it explains so much. I LOVE THIS SITE!! ! Thank you to everyone for all of the helpful information.

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 May 2012, 12:21 am

Years ago a friend told me that I have a very "unique" walk. That wasn't a compliment, he meant I have an unusual walk. So, since then I have a fake walk and while I am walking I have to keep reminding myself to walk like that. I try to make small steps and to keep my feet one in front of the other. I am hoping that now I look more normal though I am not sure.
When I am walking I have my hand inside my coat pocket and I am holding my cellphone. In the summer, I will be holding on to the strap of my handbag.
While walking I am looking down mostly but I also get distracted by various things that I see, so I am looking at signs, mailboxes, doors etc
I find that sometimes while I am walking I am squinting as if I am blinded by the sun, even if it is not sunny, but there aren't many people in the street to see me usually, or I wear sunglasses if I am doing it.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 12:58 am

mmonroe wrote:
I tend to swerve as I walk and I am most comfortable when looking at the ground. I never understood why. I figured I was trying to avoid tripping over cracks in the pavement...or trying to avoid falling into any holes that may suddenly appear! I also can't stand still, so I always have to rock back and forth when I'm talking to someone or I feel the need to lean on something. And I always have to carry my bag and a Starbucks cup (even when it's empty) as a 'security blanket'. It's really interesting that I never thought about these things possibly being connected to all of my other "quirks".

This. All of this. I often take my backpack with me even if I don't have to, for no other reason than I feel more comfortable with it.

raylit20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 May 2012, 1:11 am

mmonroe wrote:
I've always walked very fast, even as a child. Now it's difficult for anyone to keep up with me if I walk at my normal pace, so I am usually expected to control myself, therefore, feeling like a caged animal when walking with others. When I worked at Stanford, one of my colleagues told me that I sounded like an army coming down the hallway. It was funny at the time, because I'm a tall but slim person, so I then learned that I walk with a purpose. Now, when my Mom hears me coming from a distance, she refers to my footsteps as the "Stanford walk" and we always get a chuckle out of it.

I'm not officially diagnosed, but I just started researching AS and it explains so much. I LOVE THIS SITE!! ! Thank you to everyone for all of the helpful information.
I always try to carry a cup or a bottle, and I tend to look at the ground as well. I find it hard to describe my actual gait, possibly just slightly stilted at times.

I also bump into walls and things constantly, and it doesn't help that I am so tall and live in a very cramped house.

yondoloki
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2012, 2:12 am

I was once told that when i walk it looks like Im on my way to kill someone. 8O But have never really thought about it.... how I walk... or killing a person xD

Though I know when I have to stand I start swaying or rocking. Can't stand being still.

Without love and disarming beauty
- Tuomas Holopainen, Nightwish

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2012, 2:18 am

I apparently don't sway my arms and stand bend a bit with my shoulders slumped forwards. I have o-legs (outward bend, so my feet point outwards). My scouting nickname is Mowgli, because 'I love animals and I walk weird', which was the response of the nickname committee...

Sherlock Holmes in The Sign Of Four (1890), ch. 6

goaway
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 May 2012, 6:14 am

I think i walk kinda like / \, and even before in my class some in my class did tell me afterwards that i was running like this / \

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 7:18 pm

I walk very slowly, kind of shuffling, with a bit of a limp. Basically like a zombie.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 7:23 pm

awkwardly...never in a strait line and with too much arm swinging..............

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 9:03 am

I usually walk on my feet. :lol:

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 11:46 am

persian85033 wrote:
I usually walk on my feet. :lol:

...................................................Lol.

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 12:57 pm

Around High School I realized that if I consciously controlled my feet and sort of pulled at the ground with my toes I could walk very, very fast (although doing it for too long at a time strains my ankles). I'm quite certain this looks odd.

I don't really know what to do with my arms when I walk.
Also I'm sometimes slightly hunched over (probably a habit from using a backpack), and tending to look at the ground a lot.

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 May 2012, 4:10 pm

like I said:

I slouch and I have FHS (Forward Head Syndrome)

I exercice everyday to correct it (i put both hands at the back of my head, shoulders backward, and rest my head on my hands)

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 7:29 pm

Pretty normal these days, but I often tend to walk a bit fast. Not running, but not loitering...
When I was in college & before my arthritis set in, I often loped ( I canot think of a better word) along When moving slowly I used to slouch ( I have scoliosis that was never corrected so there is a partial explanation for that) a bit.
The main thing is I usually have a favorite object (rubber band now) that I am stimming on when I walk. It helps me focus..

Sincerely,
Matthew

fefe333
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 May 2012, 11:56 pm

I normally walk on the balls of my feet.
,making me walk bouncy. (or I walk on my tip toes if I'm happy) and if I'm walking next to people I bump into them or I drift off to a side. I often find my self squinting for no reason. Also, my arms eather hang stiffly at my side or I hold them in front of me, squeezing my fingers.

aspie quiz results: 172/200
I am suspected to have aspergers, but I'm not diagnosed.