Page 4 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

cavendish
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 7:16 pm

Many folks with Aspergers may have problems obtaining and succeeding in the world of work. The solution, however, is NOT to dole out disability checks to young people who should be willing and eager to contribute to society.

edgewaters wrote:
luvntiedye wrote:
Please don't take offense at what I said. I didn't mean you specifically. I just meant that at least it's not completely disabling for all of us. I realize there are an awful lot of people on the spectrum that really aren't functional enough for the work force. I know a few of those people, and I don't feel that they're lazy-- they do what they can.

I suspect there are lots of people with AS who are unemployed who could be extremely competent and productive, but just couldn't leap the discriminatory barriers in education and employment. In some cases I don't think this is even a case of severity, but simply pure chance in terms of environment.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 7:17 pm

cavendish wrote:
Twenty years ago the system would have come up with a different diagnosis for Aspergers, and twenty years before that yet another one.... etc. The mental health types are quick to throw around labels but they really don't know what to do with a whole lot of cases, and that includes Aspergers. I am in my fifties, and I thought that autism was for very legitimately serious cases, such as those who just sit there, not speaking, and are way out of touch with "reality" That surely doesn't apply to what seems to be the large majority of people here.

I think Catatonia is the one where they just sit there not speaking and out of touch with the world not autism....except catatonia is not a disorder but rather a state some disorders can cause.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 7:21 pm

cavendish wrote:
Many folks with Aspergers may have problems obtaining and succeeding in the world of work. The solution, however, is NOT to dole out disability checks to young people who should be willing and eager to contribute to society.

That's the cost of doing nothing, like it or not. One way or another to fail to deal with the problem is going to cost a lot of money. That's just the way it is. Do you have any idea how much a single homeless person costs the system? The medical costs, emergency services costs etc - it adds up, to quite a princely sum. Far, far more than supporting people.

You need to take the ideological blinders off and have a look at the real world.

cavendish
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 7:26 pm

Why should the taxpayers pay disability to you for (presumably) the rest of your life for conditions which are treatable? Just wait a few years and your PTSD should lessen as you gain maturity and life experience. Depression and anxiety should get better as well. Is your goal in life to collect SSI? Why not get the help you need, and then go out and make a contribution to society?

Sweetleaf wrote:
cavendish wrote:
Why do you want SSI anyway? Don't you want to go out and be a productive citizen? Is Aspergers that disabling that one can get SSI from it?

It's my PTSD, Depression and Anxiety are the main reason for wanting SSI. Though the aspergers is not without its own difficulties either so having that certainly does not help with any of those issues.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 7:30 pm

With all due respect Cavendish, if you have a reason for being here aside from complaining about disability benefits, I suggest you get on with it.

cavendish
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 7:40 pm

Sociable phobia should be a treatable condition. Are you telling me that young people should receive government disability checks for the rest of their lives for mere (and probably temporary) social phobia? Is that what our society is coming to?

quote="Rascal77s"]

Ataraxis wrote:

As for what cavendish said, yes, I am that disabled. I live with my parents and am usually so terrified of social interaction or being around other people that I won't even check the mail unless the sun has gone down. I frequently go an entire week without stepping outside even once, trips to the grocery store can sometimes be so overwhelming, I get dizzy and almost blackout, leaving to go sit in the car while the person I'm with finishes the shopping. When I was younger, I was able to go out more and was able to occasionally hold down a job for a few months, but I also drank pretty heavily which was what made me able to handle social settings more easily. Alcohol doesn't really agree with me anymore, the effects don't last like they used to and the hangovers get worse and worse as I get older, so I don't drink anymore.

In my uneducated opinion part of your DX should be social phobia. I think that would give you a greater chance of getting SSI than AS.[/quote]

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 7:42 pm

cavendish wrote:
Why should the taxpayers pay disability to you for (presumably) the rest of your life for conditions which are treatable? Just wait a few years and your PTSD should lessen as you gain maturity and life experience. Depression and anxiety should get better as well. Is your goal in life to collect SSI? Why not get the help you need, and then go out and make a contribution to society?

Ok well I kinda need access to treatment in order to treat it......also with how screwed up I am I really don't know how much I could even recover, but yeah in my state the only way to get on medicaid which would help pay for such treatment is to get on SSI. I mean the idea for now(even though I feel pretty dead inside and like everything is pointless due to some horrid PTSD symptoms along with the long term untreated depression I've had since I was a kid) is get on SSI try and get some help with coping so maybe I can function in at least part time work. But obviously I need some help to reach that point if I can reach that point........can't really do it with 0 dollars. So yeah I expect that a society should care for it's citizens and help them out when they are struggling rather than just disregarding them as worthless parasites. I mean how would you feel if you tried as hard as you could yet couldn't make ends meet and constantly had people telling you how much of a freeloading, loser parasite you are? would that make you feel good about yourself and motivate you to go out there and grab the world by the balls? probably not.

Also I am glad anxiety and depression should get better but guess what they didn't......and I went to therapy for it, got told it would get better and then it only got worse and worse and worse, it's not going to get 'better.' Also besides all this all this society does is disturb me it stigmatizes the crap out of anyone who either cannot conform to this society or doesn't want to because they saw it for the BS that it is. I say 'It's no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' So aside from not being able to live up to what this society expects.......why the hell should I want to? being alienated since i was a child did give me the ability to really look at the way society operates and see all the little flaws so why should I wan't to contribute to something so sick?

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 7:47 pm

edgewaters wrote:
cavendish wrote:

That's the cost of doing nothing, like it or not. One way or another to fail to deal with the problem is going to cost a lot of money. That's just the way it is. Do you have any idea how much a single homeless person costs the system? The medical costs, emergency services costs etc - it adds up, to quite a princely sum. Far, far more than supporting people.

You need to take the ideological blinders off and have a look at the real world.

Yes he knows the cost of homelessness but he's on an ASD forum telling you there's nothing wrong with you and you're just a lazy parasite who should be cut off from any aid. Do you think he see's homeless people as anything other than a bunch of lazy parasites who should be cut off from any aid?

*edit* Do you guys just not understand that this is how he thinks of YOU as an individual. If this guy were to say 'black people are disproportionally unemployed because they're lazy parasites' you guys would probably be all over him. But when he says that about YOU is it that hard to understand what this guy is about?

I honestly can't understand why you guys continue to talk to him. You will never change his mind because he's just screwing with your mind.

Last edited by Rascal77s on 15 May 2012, 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cavendish
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 7:48 pm

85% seems way too high, but even if it true there are reasonable explanations for this. First of all, the economy isn't doing very well nowadays. Most importantly, who are ones being given the diagnosis? The young people of course, who are either in school or are in some form of treatment - designed to get them back to work. A lot of people in their twenties are in a state of transition and, often (understandable) confusion as they try to launch themselves into productive adult lives. The unemployment rate among young people is high anyway, so that inevitably leads to higher than expected rates among Asperger types.

Max000 wrote:
scubasteve wrote:
Max000 wrote:
Over 85% of Asperger's people are unemployed.

[citation needed]

:arrow: Google: "85% unemployment for aspies" About 8,270 results

Is that enough citation for you?

cavendish
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 7:56 pm

So you want to dole out disability checks for (probably) life to young people. That's no the right way to go. Get the young people to work and, of course, provide some counseling and emotional support along the way. But we shouldn't let our young people just relax, hang out, and collect checks.

edgewaters wrote:
cavendish wrote:

cavendish
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 8:05 pm

Sure, some of the homeless are lazy bums, but at least many of them are middle aged and older. The younger people should be given some help, of course, but should be encouraged, and ,yes, if necessary, forced to get off their butts and become contributing members of society, and not have their goal be to qualify for government checks.

Rascal77s wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
cavendish wrote:

Yes he knows the cost of homelessness but he's on an ASD forum telling you there's nothing wrong with you and you're just a lazy parasite who should be cut off from any aid. Do you think he see's homeless people as anything other than a bunch of lazy parasites who should be cut off from any aid?

*edit* Do you guys just not understand that this is how he thinks of YOU as an individual. If this guy were to say 'black people are disproportionally unemployed because they're lazy parasites' you guys would probably be all over him. But when he says that about YOU is it that hard to understand what this guy is about?

I honestly can't understand why you guys continue to talk to him. You will never change his mind because he's just screwing with your mind.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:06 pm

cavendish wrote:
Sociable phobia should be a treatable condition. Are you telling me that young people should receive government disability checks for the rest of their lives for mere (and probably temporary) social phobia? Is that what our society is coming to?

If all I had was social phobia I might just jump up and down for joy.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:08 pm

Ah the old.......young people can't possibly have issues that interfere with their ability to function logic. :roll:

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:10 pm

cavendish wrote:
Twenty years ago the system would have come up with a different diagnosis for Aspergers, and twenty years before that yet another one.... etc. The mental health types are quick to throw around labels but they really don't know what to do with a whole lot of cases, and that includes Aspergers. I am in my fifties, and I thought that autism was for very legitimately serious cases, such as those who just sit there, not speaking, and are way out of touch with "reality" That surely doesn't apply to what seems to be the large majority of people here.

I agree. I am 70, so I was brought up by 'The Greatest Generation' parents. They're the generation that fought two world wars, and had four presidents. My father was career military... an officer. What I needed was "discipline,"... everyone agreed. I was taught how to be... how to stand, where to sit, what to do. But still I was a terrible disappointment... because I lacked discipline. I "thumped" (my stimming it turns out.). I slouched. I always had my nose in a book. I was skinny. I talked funny (so boring!), and I didn't connect with very many people. And you can't make people like you, or enjoy being with you. So naturally when the time came for me to go to college, I was put on a bus to a military institute... a four year one. After six weeks of being yelled at, I put some regular clothes in a duffle bag, and snuck out at dawn. I hitchhiked across the country. Those were the days!

cavendish
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 8:14 pm

I am not directing my comments to any particular person and yes, I will readily concede that the system has let down a great many people. The solution, however, is not having the government doling out checks to young people. On a temporary basis that's fine, of course, but inevitably the checks keep flowing, and the potential good that young people can contribute to society is wasted away.

Sweetleaf wrote:
cavendish wrote:
Why should the taxpayers pay disability to you for (presumably) the rest of your life for

conditions which are treatable? Just wait a few years and your PTSD should lessen as you gain maturity and life experience. Depression and anxiety should get better as well. Is your goal in life to collect SSI? Why not get the help you need, and then go out and make a contribution to society?

Ok well I kinda need access to treatment in order to treat it......also with how screwed up I am I really don't know how much I could even recover, but yeah in my state the only way to get on medicaid which would help pay for such treatment is to get on SSI. I mean the idea for now(even though I feel pretty dead inside and like everything is pointless due to some horrid PTSD symptoms along with the long term untreated depression I've had since I was a kid) is get on SSI try and get some help with coping so maybe I can function in at least part time work. But obviously I need some help to reach that point if I can reach that point........can't really do it with 0 dollars. So yeah I expect that a society should care for it's citizens and help them out when they are struggling rather than just disregarding them as worthless parasites. I mean how would you feel if you tried as hard as you could yet couldn't make ends meet and constantly had people telling you how much of a freeloading, loser parasite you are? would that make you feel good about yourself and motivate you to go out there and grab the world by the balls? probably not.

Also I am glad anxiety and depression should get better but guess what they didn't......and I went to therapy for it, got told it would get better and then it only got worse and worse and worse, it's not going to get 'better.' Also besides all this all this society does is disturb me it stigmatizes the crap out of anyone who either cannot conform to this society or doesn't want to because they saw it for the BS that it is. I say 'It's no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' So aside from not being able to live up to what this society expects.......why the hell should I want to? being alienated since i was a child did give me the ability to really look at the way society operates and see all the little flaws so why should I wan't to contribute to something so sick?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:23 pm

cavendish wrote:
I am not directing my comments to any particular person and yes, I will readily concede that the system has let down a great many people. The solution, however, is not having the government doling out checks to young people. On a temporary basis that's fine, of course, but inevitably the checks keep flowing, and the potential good that young people can contribute to society is wasted away.

Well being 'young' is great when you actually get to experience it...I feel like a burnt out kinda pissed off old man see me and Roger Waters of Pink Floyd have something in common though I don't know that he's as burnt out as I am judging by The Wall show he preformed. Anyways this is especially bad since I'm a bloody 22 year old female. But you think I'd feel good about getting that check? hell no don't worry I beat myself up enough already about it not being money I 'worked' for and my friend tells me to quit it because then I start verbally abusing myself and describing how worthless I am and how much of a burden I am to everyone.

If society wants my contribution it had best be willing to help me the f*** out.