Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Feb 2013, 4:19 pm

I did and other kids made fun of me for it, calling me "ret*d."

EB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2013, 6:05 pm

No. My mom stayed home with us kid so she was able to drive us to school. Only time I was on a bus was for field trips and they were normal school buses with the whole class. I was not aware of there being a 'short bus' back when I was in school since I never rode the bus. I don't recall being bullied either, but I was mostly unaware of my surroundings as a child so I may have been picked on for all I know, but never to a point where I was aware of it.

26 Apr 2013, 7:55 pm

I do currently, but I would rather be taking the regular bus. I've had experience with both and I like regular buses better because I can ride with my friends and the drivers usually seem to like students more and just seem happier in general (I think that's because drivers can choose their routes in my district and it works out that way because of that). It's not just because I have Asperger's Syndrome; I also have more serious mental and emotional problems (which aren't permanent; probably will be about 2 years total) that limit how much stress I can take and the regular bus exceeds that limit.

playgroundlover
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2013, 8:13 pm

I am a senior in high school and I still ride the small bus. I have basically all my life to and from school ever since I was idk but daycare age maybe 2 or 3. I love it. Well this year anyways. I did have some past issues on the small bus. Once in 8th grade the driver asked everyone on the bus who was going to school on the last day. Everyone replied no except me. Why? She asked. Why are you going? Do you really think the teachers wanna babysit you on the last day just stay home! So, I told her I was going no matter what and she said that if she had to go all the way to the school just go get me that she would be mad. The last day I went to school anyways and when she pulled up she was mad. She said OOH I't's your private ride! I can't believe I had to come all the way to the school just to get you! Another issue was 10th grade when I had a driver who used to talk about me being late behind my back because she couldn't do it to my face. The thing was though I wasn't late. I was on time because I left school when class ended. The other kids left class 5 minutes early to get ready for the bus which was allowed for me to but I don't because I like being in class and don't wanna miss anything important. My dad called the bus company 3 times before he threatened to video tape the buses. I was then moved to a different bus. It came 20 minutes later but it was okay because it gave me a jump start on my geometry homework. Other than that I like the small bus.

anonymoussun
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2013, 11:02 pm

I did back when I was in Kindergarten for a while.

LongWaysAway
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Apr 2013, 6:56 am

I rode the short bus when I was very little. I don't remember much but I don't remember anything unpleasant.

I rode the short bus for the first two years of high school. As I mentioned in another thread, I was in special ed for bad kids (like, we're talking felons), so I actually felt bad-ass having to share the short bus with them. After that I took the city bus to school.

I don't think my long bus experiences were worse than average. I probably did as much to contribute to the zoo-like atmosphere as the other kids. There are a few times where I go "I should have punched his face right then and there" when I reminisce about it, though.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 11:52 am

i rode the short bus in middle school.
it was combined special ed/ALPS and juvenile delinquents.
i liked it.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 10:56 pm

Elementary, I walked, but from 6th grade onward, I rode the bus. As far as I know, we didn't have a "short bus", but our neighborhood did happen to have the bus with a wheelchair lift, and we had to pick up and drop off two kids every day...I was the last person off the bus, so it was always a pretty long ride. I'd try to nap if I could, especially in high school.

I wasn't in special ed. anyway.

In high school, I did get to ride an actual short bus for a year =) Some of us took a vocational class at the college, and they had a short bus to bring us there and back, we'd always joke about it.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 11:32 pm

Who needs a bus when you can just walk through walls and teleport to school? I bring my house with me as well, like a balloon, I just carry it and hide in it whenever I'm bothered by anyone's crap. I literally fly around the school, engaging in deep philosophical discussions with Hindu Gods, mapping out the Italian peninsula while I hang around in the 1200s and play a Turkish Baglama while smoking some crazy Korean drug and...

THEN I wake up. I realize where I am and I start crying because I realize that was all a dream. Before you lecture me on how school's important and what else would I do if I had no school, I'll agree it works. Just NOT for me. Ugh

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 12:01 am

No. I rode the normal-sized one. Nobody thought I was "special", so I had to ride the Tragic Gruel Bus with the kids who only *acted* like they were heavily brain-damaged and made my life hell each day.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 8:14 pm

When I went to school, everybody got a turn in the older, shorter bus when a regular one was out of service. It just meant that not everyone would get a seat. Then one day, going over the speed bump in the school driveway, the floor rotted through and one kid wound up standing on the back axle. They bought a new one pretty quick.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 2:45 am

No, but I was put in a "special school" for a while. :oops:

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2017, 2:48 am

What on earth is a short bus?

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 3:20 am

School busses are almost nonexistent from where I live. :lol: Let alone know what's a short school bus is for.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 3:37 am

liveandrew wrote:

This is a short bus.

These buses were often used to transport special needs students or students in special programs, but were synonymous to transporting kids in special ed, so they are associated with "weird kids" and those who are mentally ret*d. Alluding to someone riding the "short bus" is often used as an insult.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2017, 4:41 am

Chronos wrote:
liveandrew wrote:

This is a short bus.

These buses were often used to transport special needs students or students in special programs, but were synonymous to transporting kids in special ed, so they are associated with "weird kids" and those who are mentally ret*d. Alluding to someone riding the "short bus" is often used as an insult.

Ah, thanks. I don't think we have those but I could be wrong. I only remember regular busses and they were only for people who lived over 3 miles from their school. Otherwise, you walked or rode a bike (I lived just under 3 miles away and used to either pay for a regular bus or save the money and run to and from school). Back then, parents didn't even drop their kids off by car.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.