MEN: When did you get diagnosed with AS?

Page 4 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

c0bo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Nov 2012, 3:44 am

I was diagnosed when I was 4 but I didn't find out until I was 16.

bigdaveangell2000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2012, 12:25 am

Time is not something Im great at keeping but I think I was about 13 when I was diagnosed with Aspergers. This was early 90's or so and with Aspergers being something new and unknown my parents told me that they were told that I had Aspergers but its very mild so you dont really need to do anything as far as treatment or anything. It was never really talked about after I finished Jr High School and I over time forgot completely that I even had Aspergers Syndrome until my ex-girlfriend was talking about Aspergers with a friend. I suppose technically you could say that I was diagnosed in about 2009 with my self rediscovery of why I am the way I am. I almost right away pulled out my copy of the DSM IV TR and read word for word everything it contained about Aspergers and all of the other Autism spectrum disorders. I was almost shocked at how many of the requirements I met for a diagnosis, just about every single one. Funny though, cause now that Im taking Ritalin and Adderall if you didnt know me its very doubtful a stranger or anyone I cross paths with would ever even guess that I have Aspergers Syndrome. I think that over my many years, Ive practiced and practiceed to mimic the so called "normal" people. I learned how to be nearly invisible in plain sight.

okie

04 Nov 2012, 1:26 am

I was diagnosed in 2011, at age 20. My very first reaction upon receiving my diagnosis was to tell the psychologist "I am not a [expletive] aspie!" I was wrong.

shyengineer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2012, 9:28 am

Last year just before I turned 23. I dug deeper into my anxiety and figured I'm somewhere on the spectrum - not officially diagnosed because there's no point now, and when I've tried to broach the subject with my GP and psychologist, they fobbed me off. My lack of social understanding was really obvious when I started to move away from school into a real job. Now I just try to improve a bit at a time to become more amiable.

Michaelis

04 Nov 2012, 4:24 pm

~ A year and a half ago. Aside from getting a prescription of vyvanse, there were few practical implications from it.

nz3385
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Nov 2012, 9:26 pm

I was 27 and diagnosed just within the past few weeks. I had vaguely heard about the existence of Asperger's before but it never really dawned on me that I might have it until a year or so ago after a friend was diagnosed. I used to blame myself a lot for my difficulties and have been slowly improving at that, but it totally makes sense now that I know there's something else going on that underlies a lot of my difficulties and explains my extremely slow progress socially. I'm determined not to use it as an excuse in any way, either with myself or with others (at least for now I've decided I want to keep the diagnosis mostly private) and I hope that knowing myself and finding this community of people with similar issues will help me continue to make progress. :)

ShamelessGit
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 9:45 pm

I've never been diagnosed and honestly I don't care if I am. I generally like the company of aspies better than neurotypicals.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

05 Nov 2012, 9:28 am

If there is anyone who got diagnosed in the 1980s or so, do let me know!

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 9:08 pm

It seems like with each passing year I become more self-aware of myself.... is this good or bad?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 5:22 am

So I was rediagnosed Monday. That's closure for me at last.....

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 9:29 pm

Although my ADHD, is another matter.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 5:54 am

Fior was diagnosed at age 50. His issues were present as far back at age 5, according to him. He also has ADD, which was diagnosed at the same time.

The diagnosis saved our marriage.

Hauge
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2012, 6:00 am

DX'd at age 43. after a MBD at age 10... - Am 45 now.

AQ=44, EQ=7, SQ=64, Aspie-quiz AS=162/200 NT=37/200

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 6:48 pm

I was 4 when I was diagnosed with "regular" autism and I was 13 when re-diagnosed with Aspergers.

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2012, 6:51 pm

two weeks ago. I'm 25. it had been discussed as a potential thing sort of casually for around 8 years prior to now, but it wasn't disrupting my life badly enough to pay someone to diagnose me and try to work through it until the last few months. (or at least, I attributed my failures to my comorbid mental illnesses of depression and anxiety, which are almost certainly CAUSED by the ASD, and didn't look for anything more because a lot of people can just have depression and anxiety without a developmental disorder as the root cause.)

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression

DecafeMan
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Dec 2012, 9:05 pm

When I was 10 years old, I was diagnosed with Aspergers. Looking back at my life, I always had trouble socializing and reading body contact.

(Btw I'm gonna use the Aspergers definition till May of next year, when DSM-V comes out)