As an aspie what do you do for a living?

Page 4 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 11:48 pm

Nothing sadly, ive one of the worse hit, i cannot work and have any life at all.

Disability pension for about 1 year i think now.

Lucky so many people can have jobs, thats amazing, it beats rotting in alone atleast.

lonelyguy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2012, 10:54 am

nessa238 wrote:
Nothing currently. I've worked for 2 months as a part-time administrator at a nursing home but I'm currently on 'gardening leave' after losing my temper with a bullying cover manager. After I disclosed I have Aspergers they seem to have seen this as a way of getting rid of me and were trying to question whether I'm suitable for the job even though I was doing it fine for 2 months before this cover manager came along. So I've gone on sick leave as I've just about had enough and my Dr is backing me. They seem highly reluctant to investigate the manager's behaviour towards me as she gets glowing inspection reports for the home she manages. So what exactly is the point in employers having grievance procedures if they won't adhere to them?

This is what happens when you make the effort to come off ESA Support group benefits as you feel you want to put something back into society and earn your way. You wish you hadn't bothered! :roll:

That's terrible nessa ..you go and get a job and get treated like this!
I think you are right you should have never told them about your AS...but it's sad to see people behave like this...next time nessa keep your mouth shut and say nothing about your condition..as sadly it doesn't help.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 11:28 am

My job is matching my SI only a bit on the edge, but the skills needed to do it i can offer because of matching with others SI.

So i always had good visual imagination, even in 3D, i have good user knowledge of PCs and working systems, i am fast with the keyboards, can work well with numbers and standard math and so on and i like to work on my own. My job is to measure done construction sites on my own, then to adapt the natural measure into the plans and at least convert the construction site as i visited it into digital data, so that at least you get a line up of every work done on the construction sites, so the company who were involved with the building can produce their bills out of the line up and can declare what they have done where everywhere on the construction site. So far as i have heard from collegues or other company i am said to be pretty fast with that, compared to others, and a beancounter, but thats mostly a positive skill in my job. ^^

Our company would have open place offices, but unfortunately (sarcasm) :cheers: there had been no more place so i got an empty office outside the office-area in our stock. So the forklist and trucks would be disturbing, but because hardly ever comes to my office, because its too far away for the office people to come for small talk and as long as its only about small problems they use E-Mail or phone, and i have no work-relation with the surrounding collegues of the stock, so i can use my earplugs without problems all day.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 11:39 am

Software developer.

My interests are photography (specifically urbex), rock music (listening, playing, writing, producing), physics and cosmology, ...and at the moment, Aspergers syndrome.

Alexithymia: 137

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2012, 12:34 pm

After trying to be employed by other people, I find I'm just prone to getting fired. So, people don't want me. I started a company. I run an importing business, dealing in dry herbal products - and a website, through which I sell them.

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2012, 12:59 pm

I've never had a job, though I've had various voluntary placements in places like cafes, museums etc. Nothing has worked out long term.
My special interest is SpongeBob and, funnily enough, it doesn't come in very handy in the real world. I get very jealous of people with "useful" special interests like science or history.

Naturalist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2012, 2:33 pm

I sort and catalog natural history collections, and supervise interns in this field. Definitely my special interest. But chronically underpaid, and though I could spend ages on it, I only get about 20 hours per week.

This semester I also taught a course in studio art, another special interest...but not for my students, apparently. I had to practically twist arms to get them to show up.

I'm about to start my Masters work, but I don't know if I'll continue teaching. Maybe, if I can lecture. But the art course was largely interactive, and I found it really hard to work with 11 students at once. Actually, I found it hard to show up to class myself--I did, because I had to, but it put me on the verge of a meltdown every day. I would go home at 4:30 and lie on my bed and stare at the ceiling for the rest of the evening. With the interns, I work with one at a time, and half of them seem decidedly Aspie-ish anyway (you would have to be, to think that stuffing dead animals and sorting seashells is a fantastic way to spend a Friday afternoon!).

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 2:41 pm

I have worked successfully for several years in the healthcare field until the social issues and pressures of promotion became too much (work for the government and will be finished with it next year or in the next few years). Having a good boss helps and a previous boss was horrible and persecuting and made my life a "living h-e-*-&.

My immediate family put pressure on me to do a career that was not for me and I regret that I stayed in the career I did for so long. I am looking forward to the future and to gaining empolyment in a more suitable career and I will avoid family advice since it did not work well for me. I do not mind advice in general, but a person needs to do a job they are interested in and that suits him or her.

Rhinox
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Dec 2012, 2:42 pm

I work as a mail subcontractor. I drive a truck 220 miles a day, picking up mail in rural townships and bringing it back to a central DC.
In order to make ends meet, I also work as a wage grunt at Toys R Us. My hobby is related to Transformers toys and video games, so I do very well there from a knowledge base standpoint.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 2:45 pm

Currently a student at UCLA. I am trying to find a job but never really get called back.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2012, 3:13 pm

Not as an Aspie, but as a person waiting for their results: I spent my 14th and 15th summer's painting houses with my uncle. I hated the work but it wasn't because of anything that might have been symptom related because my uncle is incredibly understanding of my quirks. My 16th summer, I taught myself how to do graphic design and build websites and I built a website and designed brochures for a company owned by my aunt's roommate for great pay. At 17, I started my first legitimate job working at a warehouse. It was utterly atrocious. The whole place had this 'tough guy' attitude where you don't complain, even if you see something potentially incredibly dangerous and I didn't get along with the boss or any other employees. The times I had to deal with customers coming in for orders were ultra-frustrating and I quit before I could get fired. At 19, I decided to try something new; got a job working as a dishwasher at my college's cafe. At first, it was great; no interaction, just peacefully washing dishes on my own (once I got over the smell, that is; almost threw up the first day due to the strong food odors, bleh) until suddenly, management decided I looked decent and thus, needed to learn how to make coffee. They tried training me for that and when they realized I'm socially inept, they trained me as a cashier and when that failed just as miserably, I quit. I haven't been legitimately employed since. My favorite job of all time so far was spent two summers ago, when my Mom's Montessori hired me to do landscaping around the school. It was terrific; no set hours to abide by, no boss breathing down my neck and total peaceful isolation. Unfortunately, last summer, the Montessori's owner hired her own son, which is fine but irksome since I know I did exemplary work quickly and cheaply. Zero income since then, hey!

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2012, 3:58 pm

I'm one of those who has been hit by the recession, having been laid off from 2 jobs since it started, with the recent layoff happening in August. As I don't interview well, I'm already at a disadvantage even in good economic times, but in a recession, it's even worse as I'm going against those who do well at interviews. I do get SSI, so I have at least some income, but I'm still trying to get a job.

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 5:04 pm

Two jobs: Sometimes I am a professional florist, who creates prize-winning arrangments. Rest of the time I am the director of a small library. Pay for both jobs is shoddy, but other than that I shouldn't complain. :)
One librarian here officially knows about the AS, only because we've known each other forever. Everyone else in both places know I'm not NT, and can only suspect. Who doesn't suspect when it comes to the AS, leastwise in my case?

vk2goh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2012, 5:38 am

Do data entry 5 day s a week part time to earn livng money.

Studying to become a secondar school maths teacher

Volunteer at a radio station from time to time

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 4:04 pm

Currently volunteer as a cricket coaching assistant mostly help out adults on the autistic spectrum learning the basic drills in cricket and i don't particularly have a special interest as i have quite a lot of different interests not just one or two specific ones.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 9:54 pm

I run away from techno societies for the past 30 years. I am a multimedia artist and a teacher/instructor of English. But I also sing and improvise in clubs when I can.