Page 4 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

glow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 9:04 am

[quote="whirlingmind"][quote="glow"]8O I aint so sure any of these were compliments proposed to league girl, i think she is trying to spell out how her life has come to nothing besides unregistered failure given alot of things. i think she's done well in writing something to express her real feelings instead of trying to cover them up too much. 8)[/quote]

(quote Whirlingmind)That's a bit mean. You can't put words into someone's mouth like that. I took it that she meant that her achievements were achievements, but not as seemingly large achievements as some others. By saying what you've just said you are condemning her to actually feel they might be "unregistered failures". I agree with what goldfish said. Some Aspies have such poor social skills they would find it a miracle to get married for instance - leaguegirl accomplished that. You are the one minimising her achievements by what you have said.[/unquote]

This is clearly the wrong thread in hindsight in which to express some of my views, no? and i think what she meant was that some of her 'accomplishments' weren't necessarily good ones,. to prove a point she mentioned having disastrous dates online in the year 2007. well she was hardly saying they were good, only that they made her feel worse. im sure however, she would be happy to confirm this, if it was in her best interests. i was also inclining to agree with her and i dont think she was expecting a sympathy march either.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2013, 9:56 am

Got into university.
Have made quite a few close friends and can get on with the vast majority of people.
Can live independently.
Have a driving license.
Have travelled by myself and am able to find my way around new places.
Have some working experience and have passed interviews despite them being one of my weaknesses.
I suffered from some anxiety several months ago but have mostly recovered - one of the key ingredients being that I developed a more positive attitude and have become less fearful of the future, ready to take whatever life throws at me.

idlewild
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Mar 2013, 10:47 am

Moomingirl wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i feel really inferior to all the successful aspies on this thread. but i try not to think about it.

Nobody should feel inferior here. I consider myself in the middle, I hold down a good job (but not great) but I never managed to finish a degree. Some of us are luckier at faking it in the NT world. But the downside to that is that we have to deal with people way more than is comfortable, in order to do that. I probably have way more meltdowns than I should, from the pressure of having to work in the NT world. I might look ok to them (for a short while), but I still go home and hide under my duvet and meltdown at the end of nearly every day. If there was any way I could get out of working, without starving to death, then I would.
And a big hug to ALL aspie's out there, we are all going through the same things, just in different ways and places.

I am living on the charity of friends right now. My family won't speak to me and treats me badly. I have no money, and my ASD symptoms are stronger everyday. NO ONE should feel inferior to me. I accomplished those things, but I brought myself close to being committed more than once.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 75 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 12:02 pm

I've accomplished what extremely few people in this world have even dared attempt: I do good to others.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 12:14 pm

glow wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
glow wrote:
8O I aint so sure any of these were compliments proposed to league girl, i think she is trying to spell out how her life has come to nothing besides unregistered failure given alot of things. i think she's done well in writing something to express her real feelings instead of trying to cover them up too much. 8)

(quote Whirlingmind)That's a bit mean. You can't put words into someone's mouth like that. I took it that she meant that her achievements were achievements, but not as seemingly large achievements as some others. By saying what you've just said you are condemning her to actually feel they might be "unregistered failures". I agree with what goldfish said. Some Aspies have such poor social skills they would find it a miracle to get married for instance - leaguegirl accomplished that. You are the one minimising her achievements by what you have said.[/unquote]

This is clearly the wrong thread in hindsight in which to express some of my views, no? and i think what she meant was that some of her 'accomplishments' weren't necessarily good ones,. to prove a point she mentioned having disastrous dates online in the year 2007. well she was hardly saying they were good, only that they made her feel worse. im sure however, she would be happy to confirm this, if it was in her best interests. i was also inclining to agree with her and i dont think she was expecting a sympathy march either.

I must have started something. Looks like a little drama here. :?

I don't know if your first post was directed at me as being mean or goldfish.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

adrianmoore
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Mar 2013, 12:31 pm

Hi

I got married

Have 3 great children ( two of which are ASD and the eldest is ADHD )

Have my own computer business and Rubber stamp making business

I use my over sensitive hearing in my computer job to listen to hard drives to "hear" if they are working correctly

Oh and this year my wife and myself will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 6:01 pm

^^^
you are VERY high-functioning. you are one of my aspie heroes :)

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 6:18 pm

auntblabby wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i'm pretty good at occupying space.

I excel at that one. :D Seriously though, it feels like all I can handle is day to day. I try to make sure that my kids are happy, and know that their loved. I feel I'm just treading water most days, but I'm always grateful to have a roof overhead, and food in our bellies.

hey, you're a responsible and caring parent, that makes you an AS hero in my eyes :wtg:

I strongly agree.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 6:19 pm

Moondust wrote:
I've accomplished what extremely few people in this world have even dared attempt: I do good to others.

hmmm....That's a good definition of success.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 7:06 pm

LeagueGirl wrote:
glow wrote:
8O I aint so sure any of these were compliments proposed to league girl, i think she is trying to spell out how her life has come to nothing besides unregistered failure given alot of things. i think she's done well in writing something to express her real feelings instead of trying to cover them up too much. 8)

whirlingmind wrote:
That's a bit mean. You can't put words into someone's mouth like that. I took it that she meant that her achievements were achievements, but not as seemingly large achievements as some others. By saying what you've just said you are condemning her to actually feel they might be "unregistered failures". I agree with what goldfish said. Some Aspies have such poor social skills they would find it a miracle to get married for instance - leaguegirl accomplished that. You are the one minimising her achievements by what you have said.

glow wrote:

I must have started something. Looks like a little drama here. :?

I don't know if your first post was directed at me as being mean or goldfish.

It was at glow. Look higher up the thread for the original posts and it will make sense. I was defending you and agreeing with goldfish. Glow has messed up the quotes formatting and confused things. I have corrected them in this post!

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 7:32 pm

B.S. in Psychobiology
M.S. in Applied Criminology
Currently teaching online courses in the above at my university and working part-time as a cashier at Walmart.
Pay my rent and bills on time and have enough money so I'm not wondering where my next meal is coming from.
Have a few people I consider close friends (IRL and online).
Promised myself that I am going to learn to drive this year.

So--learned some social/life skills and how to "pass" for the most part. Have come to realize that, even if I appear *eccentric*, most people I encounter day-to-day just don't care, or notice all that much.

The most important thing, at least for me, is to be comfortable with who I am now. :)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 8:19 pm

conundrum wrote:
B.S. in Psychobiology
Currently teaching online courses in the above at my university and working part-time as a cashier at Walmart.
Pay my rent and bills on time and have enough money so I'm not wondering where my next meal is coming from.

So--learned some social/life skills and how to "pass" for the most part. Have come to realize that, even if I appear *eccentric*, most people I encounter day-to-day just don't care, or notice all that much. The most important thing, at least for me, is to be comfortable with who I am now. :)

i don't mean to be dismissive of your concerns, but i wonder how somebody could do what seems to me the toughest most arduous things but find driving to be a great challenge. i could barely learn to drive but i never could be successful in college.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2013, 8:39 pm

auntblabby wrote:
conundrum wrote:
B.S. in Psychobiology

So--learned some social/life skills and how to "pass" for the most part. Have come to realize that, even if I appear *eccentric*, most people I encounter day-to-day just don't care, or notice all that much. The most important thing, at least for me, is to be comfortable with who I am now. :)

i don't mean to be dismissive of your concerns, but i wonder how somebody could do what seems to me the toughest most arduous things but find driving to be a great challenge. i could barely learn to drive but i never could be successful in college.

Driving requires different skills from other activities, being good at other things doesn't mean you'll be good at driving. Anyway it seems conundrum hasn't started learning yet so we don't know whether she'll find it a challenge yet.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 8:49 pm

WrongWay wrote:
Driving requires different skills from other activities, being good at other things doesn't mean you'll be good at driving. Anyway it seems conundrum hasn't started learning yet so we don't know whether she'll find it a challenge yet.

the stated fact that she has not yet learned how to drive past the age of achieving high college honors, tells me that, to that poster, driving would seem tougher than some other things. just a jejune thought from a clueless aspie. :oops:

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 9:17 pm

I'm another girl who has a college degree but doesn't drive. I also graduated with honours. The fact that I have yet to get a job afterwards just makes me feel bad about the degree , though, like I wasted my mum's money. Edit: Actually, I'm still proud of it. It's my only real accomplishment so I'm really glad I have it but at the same time I feel bad for not doing anything with it....

Driving will be hard for me because I have problems with visual perception and spatial relations (puzzles, graphs, reading maps). Also I have sensory issues and I startle and scream and jump at loud noises (I know it's weird to scream when there's noise). Knowing how to angle a car to park it or to turn would be hard. This would be a problem if I'm driving and someone honks their horn or another car screeches to a halt and I jump and stop the the car in the middle of the road or crash into someone ect.

Edit: In my case ,the assumption you made, Aunt Blabby, made would be right. I haven't learned to drive yet because I'm afraid I'll have trouble with it.

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2013, 9:28 pm

auntblabby wrote:
WrongWay wrote:

the stated fact that she has not yet learned how to drive past the age of achieving high college honors, tells me that, to that poster, driving would seem tougher than some other things. just a jejune thought from a clueless aspie. :oops:

It's possible that driving may be tougher. I know that that is certainly the case for me. I only drive very rarely because I have vision problems that make gauging depth fairly difficult... combined with dyspraxia and poor visual-spatial awareness it is just asking for trouble.