Page 4 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 9:13 am

sonofghandi wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
Gosh, I control my inflammation and my autism gets better; my inflammation flares up and so does my autism. Maybe I'm being fooled by the obvious and parsimonious. Maybe I'm also being too pragmatic when I only concern myself with solutions that work.

By the way, are you aware of an epistemological concept known as Occam's Razor?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

Been re-reading the posts.

I have never argued about the results, only the reasoning that leads you to them. I have never said you are wrong, just that it may be possible that there is another solution. I apologize if I have offended you, as it was not my intention. I am glad that you found something that works for you, but it is not going to work for everyone. Personally, I have found meditation to help me more than anything else, but I it won't help everyone (and I have personal doubts that it would actually help very many people in terms of symptom relief, but maybe could provide a little peace of mind at the end of the day).

Apology accepted. I've tried zazen myself, but I found it only took me so far. The biggest thing meditation did for me was to provide perspective on what my thoughts mean and are.

As far as what I describe working for everybody, that's a panacea, and as far as I know panaceas are as mythological as unicorns.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 9:24 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
Have you tried taking care of your gut to see if you can make your bad days a little better?

Yes I have but more to get rid of it being in a state of discomfort....and it does not make any difference in my level of autism still have the same sensory issues, lack of being able to read/interpret react to body langauge and all that good stuff that comes with the AS. It also does not help my depression.

It makes me feel a bit better physically, my anxiety causes a lot of the discomfort so minimizing my anxiety can reduce the discomfort.

Sweetleaf, for starters, I believe you're in your early twenties. I just turned fifty-one, and my physical health problems are only getting worse. Though I've never really felt good, my physical health problems didn't start until I was in my late twenties.

A quick note on the science behind my beliefs: In college, one of my interests was something called epistemology, which is the study of whether knowledge is possible, and if so, under what conditions. One of the main problems in epistemology was what is called mind-body dualism, or the relationship of mind to body. Though it is materialist, I think science has conclusively proven that mind is part of the body. So, when the mind is sick, by definition the body is sick too (and sometimes vice versa), with mind being defined as the brain, nervous system, and anything else that aids in thought and consciousness.

So, it is not inconceivable that treating the body will treat the mind as well, and vice versa. Not to sound too hippy-ish, but it is a holistic approach.