[Female Aspies] - Is this List Credible?

Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 11:28 pm

I use Liggett's shampoo bar for my hair and sometimes I do a final rinse with apple cider vinegar.

For soap I like to get organic soaps made by local people at the farmer's market.

I will save up for some face/body products. They are more expensive but they last forever so I use them. I love Terressentials and Wild 'Herb products.

I love some Lush products as well but you have to read the ingredients in their products because some of their stuff has ingredients I prefer not to use. Lush bath bombs are great but even though I love baths I have a hard time fitting in my tub. I love their Fresh face masks too. And some of their soaps and massage bars that have very pure ingredients I love as well. They have really fun stuff but you have to be careful with them because of a couple of ingredients they tend to use in a lot of their products.

Bumble And Bee also has very nice products that I have really liked.

I also use royal jelly on my face between washing and moisturizing like a quick mask.
I put coconut oil on my skin and sometimes olive oil instead of lotion. I love pure African shea butter too.
If I have a soreness somewhere and there might be inflammation, like when I hurt my knee, I will put mustard oil on that area.

For the laundry I use Charlie's Laundry soap and a quarter cup of borax, and a quarter cup of hydrogen peroxide instead of chlorine bleach.

For dish soap I use Ecover or Seventh Generation and to clean the house I use a Seventh Generation disinfectant/ all purpose cleaner

For hand soap we use Doctor Bronner's which I dilute about half and half and put in soap foaming bottles.

For toothpaste I like Refreshmint tooth oil but if I can't afford it I use Arm and Hammer, as simple in ingredients as I can get.

I also like EO products very much but they are a little bit harder to find where I live.

For deo I use the salt crystal kind, I think the company is actually called crystal and my husband likes their roll on deo

And I also use mama cloth which I absolutely love.

Wreck It Ralph

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 2:27 am

I'm sure this list has not been subjected to any serious scientific research, and thus represent subject experiences that cannot be generalized (just like DSM and it's male bias).

I think I will submit some study on this, as it is badly needed. The traits that differs between male and female Aspies are not at all the traits on this list, or the traits Simon-Baron Cohens "extreme male theory" suggests. Instead, the differences are in communication and socialization issues.

A preliminary list is here (I have more on my new list, but I'll save it for now):
http://blog.rdos.net/?p=115

Yayoi
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2014, 3:26 am

Hmmm. Most of this isn't me at all. I'm not into fiction books unless they relate to a topic that interests me, and music and art are my two weakest skills. I dress nicely, since I feel T-shirts and jeans are just lazy, and see myself as gender neutral.

Rubyfruit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2014, 4:10 am

Some parts fit fine, other parts make my head tilt.

I love reading and love fiction, but I'm not very fond of sci-fi or most fantasy. I'm fond of romance, and I do have a few well-worn favorites. It's why I have an ebook reader now.
I don't have issues of identity, gender or otherwise.
I do prefer having my hair short, but it doesn't grow very long anyway. But I like dressing up every now and again, often for no real reason other than a personal whim, even if it is just a nicer pair of jeans and a nicer top.
I don't have very many sensory issues, and I don't have an aversion to artificial scents (my dream job is to work at Bath & Body Works).
I really do enjoy sex, and I take relationships pretty seriously, but if I can't find someone who's willing to be as serious with me, I'd rather not have one at all.
I can form friendships fine at 27 years old; the problem is that many people in my age group have kids and I don't, so it's hard for me to find common ground.
I really like the idea of having female friends and doing the shopping trip thing sometimes, but, again, most women my age have children and I don't, so it just feels weird.
As for going out, I prefer to stay home, but occasionally I get stir crazy and go out sometimes. When I do, I go out alone, and I prefer my solo outings.

Also, I do consider myself "artsy", and like to write, and have almost zero interest in most sciences.

Melsky
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jan 2014, 7:30 am

This list describes me perfectly, except for a couple of details. Here they are:

I do have many androgynous traits, despite female outward appearance. This is odd as people have actually described me as “androgynous yet feminine”, literal words. However, I do not see myself as half-male/half-female. I am a heterosexual woman and I am happy with that, never thought of myself as half-male and never had gender issues, and would not want to be a man. However, I do consider myself equal to men in every aspect – apart from the reproductive and physical strength differences – and enjoy being around men wile not necessary being attracted to the particular man or men I may be interacting with at a given point, so maybe that's what the author was trying to imply.

Second point is hair and personal grooming. I do have a wash and wear haircut as I am unable to style my hair or put it up in any way, I have tried and it is just impossible for me to do it right. However, I do like my hair to look good and tidy, not messy. And on the personal grooming, I like feeling clean and love water, so that is not a problem. I don't like the feeling of make-up on my skin, but I do like painting my eyes, a bit of a contradiction.

So these are the two points that don't describe me as well as the others. On the side of special interests, there have been some that could be considered more male than female. And although I am still in the process of getting the official diagnosis, as a child I was considered gifted, shy and sensitive. I wasn't really shy, it was more a mixture of sensory overloads, not knowing how to socialize with other non-Asperger females, preferring adults to children and a touch of mutism. I could be very outspoken when it came to injustices, specially if they were towards vulnerable people or animals, even as a preschooler.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 7:46 am

I was just thinking about one thing on the list. I am remembering more and more of how I felt as a child as I think about the list. I remember wanting to be a boy a lot and thinking that I was very much like a boy. I was very girly in someways, I loved dolls and stuffed animals and things like that but I also loved boy stuff. I thought it was just because I was close to my brother when I was very little but many girls are close to their brothers and still remain pretty much just girly. So maybe my Aspieness could have had something to do with how I felt. Now I still can be Tomboyish but I am definitely female.

I also remember categorizing and cataloging my books a lot and categorizing my stuffed animals and clothes a lot. I don't do that now though. I have tendencies to want to do it but I don't have the mind or the time to now so much. And my relative told me that when I was little I used to "build" a lot with toys. But it is really interesting seeing these lists and how I fit into them. I used to hate walking on the grass and on sand too. I had to be carried all the time at the beach as a baby because I would not walk on the sand. I guess I must have hated the texture. Now I can still be a little iffy about grass sometimes but I love walking on the beach. :D But I do have other texture sensitivities now as well.

Wreck It Ralph

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 10:12 am

Oh yes I first saw that list years ago and thought it's quite good. Obviously nobody is going to have all the traits on the list. I checked all the ones that applied and most of them did. The funny thing is with all these symptoms I still feel pretty good about myself. :D My only trouble is not able to sleep well.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 8:15 pm

I just saw the video again. it's not just a bow it's a headband! Now I understand it. It makes sense to me. So now it's not weird anymore but actually cute. :D

Wreck It Ralph

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 1:08 am

skibum wrote:
I use Liggett's shampoo bar for my hair and sometimes I do a final rinse with apple cider vinegar.

For soap I like to get organic soaps made by local people at the farmer's market.

I will save up for some face/body products. They are more expensive but they last forever so I use them. I love Terressentials and Wild 'Herb products.

I love some Lush products as well but you have to read the ingredients in their products because some of their stuff has ingredients I prefer not to use. Lush bath bombs are great but even though I love baths I have a hard time fitting in my tub. I love their Fresh face masks too. And some of their soaps and massage bars that have very pure ingredients I love as well. They have really fun stuff but you have to be careful with them because of a couple of ingredients they tend to use in a lot of their products.

Bumble And Bee also has very nice products that I have really liked.

I also use royal jelly on my face between washing and moisturizing like a quick mask.
I put coconut oil on my skin and sometimes olive oil instead of lotion. I love pure African shea butter too.
If I have a soreness somewhere and there might be inflammation, like when I hurt my knee, I will put mustard oil on that area.

For the laundry I use Charlie's Laundry soap and a quarter cup of borax, and a quarter cup of hydrogen peroxide instead of chlorine bleach.

For dish soap I use Ecover or Seventh Generation and to clean the house I use a Seventh Generation disinfectant/ all purpose cleaner

For hand soap we use Doctor Bronner's which I dilute about half and half and put in soap foaming bottles.

For toothpaste I like Refreshmint tooth oil but if I can't afford it I use Arm and Hammer, as simple in ingredients as I can get.

I also like EO products very much but they are a little bit harder to find where I live.

For deo I use the salt crystal kind, I think the company is actually called crystal and my husband likes their roll on deo

And I also use mama cloth which I absolutely love.

I thought I wrote that post. Seriously I use almost all the same products. And I live in Canada and have to order some of those online. :D The only things I don't use is deodorant because I'm Asian, and no bath bombs because I'm allergic. I use mama cloth and menstrual cup, too. :)

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 1:29 am

Most of it describes me pretty well.
As others have said, I might act in a less feminine way (I don't wear makeup and stuff like that) but I identify myself as female. I wonder if that was an outside perspective saying "Well, if they act in a masculine way sometimes they must feel that way"?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 7:30 am

y-pod wrote:

I thought I wrote that post. Seriously I use almost all the same products. And I live in Canada and have to order some of those online. :D The only things I don't use is deodorant because I'm Asian, and no bath bombs because I'm allergic. I use mama cloth and menstrual cup, too. :)
We're twins! LOL! ;) Those are great products. It's always great to hear that people are using stuff that is not only healthy be environmentally friendly as well. Here's another one I love that since you live in Canada you may be very familiar with. Benefect! Can't live without in at our house.
And Cedar oil for insect repellent and peppermint for mice repellent.

Back to thread topic! :D

Wreck It Ralph