Do you work in a full time job? (poll)

Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Do you work in a full time job?
Yes I work full time 38%  38%  [ 50 ]
I work part time 21%  21%  [ 27 ]
I am not working at this time but I hope to be working full time in the not too distant future 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
I am not working at this time but I hope to be working part time in the not too distant future 11%  11%  [ 15 ]
I am too young to work - but I expect I will be when I get a bit older 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
I am too young to work - but I expect I will not be able to hold down a regular job due to my autism 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I am not working now and it is unlikely that I will be able to work in the foreseeable future 22%  22%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 131

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 4:41 pm

Right now I'm trying to decide if I should continue with my education full time or pursue a full time job.

Over the last few weeks I had a work evaluation forced upon me by a state vochab while I did exceptionally well in a quite computer environment my education suffered because when I would come home from work I would be over stimulated needed to retreat to a cool quiet dark room where I would fall off to sleep. So to me it's one or the other it can't be both and I think education would pay off for me in the long run with my goals. However in the future I'd like a full time job in an broadcast environment failing that an office environment.

DukeJanTheGrey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2014, 5:41 pm

Does community service (community payback order it is now called) count as work? Well I have to do that one a week until I have worked down my 120 hours.

The weird thing is that on the very same day of my arrest I had an appointment at a voluntary centre as I was looking make myself available to do unpaid voluntary work, my way of trying to ease myself back into society and the work place. I could not attend that appointment as I was incarcerated but if I was offered the same work by them as I am doing as part of my community order I would have taken it.

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Oct 2014, 7:00 pm

Been serving in the military for 15+ years. Not sure if I can make it much longer due to anxiety issues.

qFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Oct 2014, 7:32 pm

I work about average 60 - 80 hours a week for my university degree, can be pretty mentally taxing at times especially with ridiculously unrealistic deadlines. When I'm going to look for a job in the future I'm certainly going to look for a job without the wicked thing called deadlines. I do not care about having to work hard and thoroughly but I'm just utterly sick of regularly having to physically suffer from all the stress.

TobiasMurphy
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Oct 2014, 8:40 pm

I work full-time. I was in high school education for 7 years, which was very largely a mistake I got trapped into. I almost got fired a few times for foot-in-mouth situations and I couldn't stand the dishonesty of my employers. I once caught a student blatantly plagiarizing and the parents went nuclear for my even suggesting that their kid would cheat. So I printed her project and the source material she ripped it from, cross-referenced and highlighted the plagiarized content (both papers were practically dripping with yellow ink). The principal blamed ME for seeing plagiarism where there "obviously was none" and ripped up my evidence in front of me.

Now I'm a web designer, which is much more up my ally. I work from home, don't have to deal directly with many clients, my hours are flexible, and my boss is supportive of my needs.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2014, 6:48 am

I have worked either full-time or part-time since I was 15, but I don't know how much longer I can keep it up. Every job since my mid-20's has been progressively more difficult and depressing. I simply can't handle the stress of dealing with people (co-workers as well as customers) and the overwhelming feelings of dread every time I make a mistake or have to do something outside my comfort zone. My current manager is the only boss I've ever told about my true problems and he does try to protect me from change, but he has to understand that I need more direction and a consistent way of doing things.

It can only go on this way for so long. If I can't get disability benefits eventually, I'm pretty much screwed. :?

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 11:51 pm

I work many hours a week most of my time on my research, and I have a part-time job as a math/science tutor.
My life is full of work, but I am glad that I can control when and where I mostly work.
In my lab, my room has a working thermostat and light dimmer, so I can keep a comfortable temperature and low light levels at all times, and close the door if I don't want to hear anything from outside, but there are only 2 people regularly working in that lab, so there is not much stimuli to keep out.
Sometimes, when I am not doing eggsperiments, I can work on my computer from home.
This flexibility really helps me be able to do research and my brain operating at high level.
I wouldn't do well in a large open lab with only a cubicle and not a room to myself, and no control over sensory stimuli.
Also not in a regular-hours job.
My hours are quite different from regular hours, I usually do some work at home in the morning, then eat lunch, then go to lab to run eggsperiments, then go tutor in late afternoon/early evening, then go home for dinner, then do more work at home until ~12-2 am, then sleep and get up around 9 am.
I also schedule tutoring like 2 students each on Mon-Thurs, but none on Fri-Sun, so I have continuous time of not having to interact with others, which seems to help more than interacting with others a little bit each day.