Proposal: include grading of autism in diagnosis.

Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Good idea?
Yes 39%  39%  [ 15 ]
No 61%  61%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 38

antarticanrepublic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2014, 7:51 am

People wouldn't know the difference anyway....
They might but still they might place you in a different class even though your functioning is fairly regular.
For example: When you say a place has tropical climate , you would imagine a beach ,plenty of coconut trees , sunshine & 90 degrees sunny throughout the year.
But cities like....say Nashville, Riyadh, Perth,Buenos Aires,Cairo, Guangzhou, New Delhi (to name only a few) are classified under sub-tropical climate & have pretty chilly winters. But 99% people don't really care about that.
So what I mean is that no matter how much you try to get it straight , people will always place you in the same group.
Lucky to not be in the US.

Both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits
EIQ:105
HSP:13
EQ: 31/80

KariLynn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2014, 9:15 am

If done at a young age by loving parents/mentors it is not overwhelming. An ASD brain architecture is a mixed blessing. With proper support, a person can enjoy the benefits without the challenges becoming a disability. But it requires knowledgeable parents/mentors that are patient enough to connect/bond.

Sweetleaf wrote:
KariLynn wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
KariLynn wrote:
Jaymcgrath wrote:
Still sounds like more than a learning difference....I mean it would seem a lot of people on the spectrum can have a hard time processing a lot of information/outside input, so also likely to be a processing difference. Also I can see how trying to force an autistic baby/child to interact normally and essentially come off as having a normal functioning brain could backfire hardcore by overwhelming the poor child and having them develop a sense of they are always wrong and needing to be corrected, fixed.[

When ate people going to stop thinking that you can train aspies to be NT.? / :wall: :wall:

What I was talking about was not about making all kids NT. It is about understanding brain architecture differences and changing culture. In the past children were needed to contribute to the family's survival. Out of necessity, parents engaged their children differently. Children took responsibility for meeting their basic needs much earlier.
Now the role of children in the family has changed and the sensory environment has picked up speed. Now a baby with a tenancy to be less social will be engaged much less, have less motivation to engage because their bodily needs are taken care of, and will withdraw and meltdown because of sensory overload. They will learn much less from other people than they would have in the past. The effect of not learning compounds with every year.
What I was talking about was connecting with kids to build brain pathways so they can learn from other people, and teaching to their learning style. Teaching relationship and executive function skills makes their life more joyful and less painful. It does not dictate how or if they use the skills. This is very different from teaching instrumental social skills to make them appear more NT.

How exactly do you teach executive function skills? I mean I don't see how I can be taught to not have excutive functioning issues...I don't know the exact technical reason for the executive functioning issues, but its difficulty with starting tasks...organizing tasks and completing it so not sure how to 'teach' someone not to have trouble starting tasks, organizing it and making minor decisions about things if their brain has an inability to process information that way. So just have no idea what trying to improve executive functioning would look like....but not entirely skeptical perhaps there are things that help it. Also there is a difference between having autism and just being less social...I doubt its lack of social engagement that causes meltdowns from sensory overload, and willing to bet social engagement in excess can also cause sensory meltdowns.

As for the past a lot of those children who where unable to meet their basic needs much sooner, or had very limited ability to contribute.....probably ended up in institutions, dead, on the streets or with more mental problems, maybe offing themselves due to feeling worthless. SO I don't think its that all children just automatically could do that back in the 'good old days' but the ones that couldn't probably where more often than not abandoned or abused in some way unless they where lucky enough to have a really caring family that was ok with taking care of their 'crazy' child.

This is hard to answer in a short answer.
Prior or along with developing task initiation and goal-directed persistence skills, an ASD child needs to learn a sense of time and time management skills.
Task initiation applies to tasks that need to get done but we are reluctant to do, so we make ourselves do. Tasks we find unpleasant, objectionable, or mind-numbing. Teaching starts with preschool kids when we prompt them to do the task and then supervise at least the start of the task while they do it. It matures with the establishment of routines like morning or bedtime routines. The child is taught child that certain things have to be done at a set time each day in a set sequence. Songs and books about the routine are shared so the child understands that this is what is expected in a fun way (http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/Songs ... akeup.html). A visual sequence the child helped develop is placed in the child?s room along with an analog clock and picture of what the task looks like when properly completed (http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/Downl ... hedule.pdf). The sequence can have pictures of clocks. The parent provides prompting and cuing that is gradually removed as the child internalizes the routine. Independent action is strongly praised and rewarded in the beginning. The best way to teach task initiation is giving children developmentally appropriate chores to do prior to play.
Goal-directed persistence refers to setting a goal and working toward it without being diverted by other interests. It is taught with delayed gratification. Both build self-confidence and self-esteem. Goal-directed persistence is learned every time a child is encouraged to keep trying even when something is hard. The child is taught that mastering new skills takes time, practice, and effort, praised for sticking with something demanding and rewarded with what the child really wants but doesn't have free access to. In the beginning they learn through chores, discussed above, enjoyable activities such as games and sports, earning an allowance so they can buy what they want. Starting with very brief tasks where the goal is clearly within sight. The child is reminded what he is working toward. The child is encouraged to stretch to reach more distant goals, begin with ones that the child wants to work on.
Prior or along with developing organization skills, an ASD child needs to learn a sense of external space. External space is space that exists outside of their current line of site. Beek-A-Boo and toys under a blanket start teaching this concept. Involving the child in multi-person activities started in the same room then people continue in another room, then rejoin. A child learns that organization increases predictability and reduces stress. By organizing we establish and maintain a system for arranging or keeping track of important items. Teaching organization starts in infancy with bookcases, toy boxes, and laundry hampers used to keep their rooms and play areas neat, limiting the number of toys available at one time, involving the child with replacement, putting away old toy and selecting new, and rules of what is allowed where, such as where they can eat. The parent puts an easily maintained system in place, provides the child pictures of properly maintained, and coaches the child on how to use the system. As the child gets older he/she becomes involved in tailoring and extending the system for new important items.

That all sounds terribly overwhelming....I mean maybe that helps some people but I doubt it prevents the executive dysfunction that comes with autism, perhaps it helps it some for some....but I could also see a lot of meltdowns and such. I mean when I was a kid I was terrible with time, if I was expected to do everything at a specific time in a specific sequence I think it would have increased my stress levels........Also with the executive dysfunction its not really not wanting to do a task or avoiding it because its boring, its an actual difficulty to get started on things even things you enjoy or like having major trouble picking a shirt to wear in the morning. Also while it is good to encourage the child to keep on a task even if it is difficult as sometimes things are that way....one has to be careful not to over-do it I mean if the task is really too hard or doing it all at once is causing major distress due to being overwhelmed then I'd think they should back off and acknowledge they did put the effort in.

And with organization that is something else I have always struggled with and....I doubt having my parents on my back about staying organized and having me constantly organizing stuff since it would have likely kept getting unorganized would have made my childhood even worse.....and i don't think it would have helped my confidence just would have been yet another thing people criticize me for. But that is just my opinion....I mean it just seems some of these methods ignore that autism is actually a disability and so simply trying to train a child via those methods might not be effective since no matter how hard you push with some of it the autism trait/symptom is going to persist and might prevent/interfere with their ability to stick to all that.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2014, 11:36 pm

Nope, definitely not. I could some days, or even weeks and months, be considered 'more autistic' because of all that's going on in my life. Right now I could be a 1 based on your scale because everything is going smoothly. There's also the issue of people who have a different range of abilities and disabilities, such as high sensory problems, but being fairly okay at socializing. It's too broad a spectrum to have a 1-10, or even a 1-1000, scale. Plus, I doubt NTs would care and it could cause problems for people who would be considered 'lower' because, even if they could hold a specific job, no one would hire them.