Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 7:05 am

Kiriae wrote:
My closet, take a look and you get the idea:
[img][300:450]http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s601/Ana_Mert/closet_zps8fa52a7e.jpg[/img]
:lol:
Yup. Red and black. Lots of red and black. Its an obsession. I don't wear any other colors.

I always wear black/gray jeans and red/red-black/black(with red addons) sweater, hoodie or tank top.
Plus red/black/red-black sneakers, combat boots or running shoes.

Quite like my wardrobe, except it's all blues and greys. I tend to go for stripes (t-shirts, hoodies, sweaters), but I will sometimes wear a shirt over a plain t-shirt. I have a couple of nice checked shirts.

Sadly I went through a period of putting on a lot of weight (high-dose steroids didn't help...). I'm not obese or anything, but the weight really went to my stomach and breasts and hasn't budged by a millimeter since surgery. Clothes don't look as nice on me as they did a couple of years ago, and I've outgrown my favourite tops. (One or two of which were actually quite colourful - or at least not blue/grey.)

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 2:30 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
I'm trying to move from t-shirts, which are something worn by young women who do not look like they've carried four children, to blouses that are fitted at the top and more blousy at the bottom (to hide the mommy belly, since I gather it's 'gross' to display anything other than a perfectly flat belly and I ain't doing crunches) which are socially acceptable for middle-aged women with multiple children. They seem to mostly come in nylon/polyester and rayon. They are very expensive. And they aren't very comfortable.

Maybe you would feel better in men's shirts----that's what I wear. You can get them in COTTON (so much more comfortable for me), and they come in nice prints / colors, and you can get them with squared-off bottoms so that they don't look as sloppy. Also, they are WAAAAY CHEAPER!! The only way someone could tell it was a man's shirt is if they noticed that the buttons, of course, are on the opposite side. I got so mixed-up trying to button my shirt that I just un-button a couple and put it on, over my head. Another thing I do is buy men's denim shirts----which I CAN'T get enough of----and paint flowers on them, (that gives them a nice feminine look----maybe you could do it while the kids are painting, if they like that).

skibum wrote:
.....the older generations in the country of my parent's birth did that as well.

That means you're "first generation". Where are your parents from (if you don't mind my asking)?

I do that as well----have inside clothes (a house-dress) and what I call "street clothes". It seems to be a thing with southern people (me), as well.

I also agree with you about sitting on the sheets. When my aunt was in the hospital, one time, the nurse came-in and sat on her UNDERNEATH sheet (the fitted sheet)! ! I wanted to hit 'er in the head----a NURSE should KNOW better!! !

I wear the same thing everyday, no matter the temperature: Black pants ("trousers", to Brits), black tennis shoes ("trainers", to Brits), and a really colorful shirt. As the weather gets cooler, I wear a jean jacket, and then I put a hoodie on under that. I rarely wear a winter jacket, cuz I'm always too warm.

Also, the last decade or so, I've been in a real hippie mood, so if I go out to dinner, or something like that, I'll wear a long / loose cotton dress (I'm really tall, 5'11", so I can't wear fitted dresses cuz the waist is never where mine is), long beaded ear-rings, and the sides of my hair back in one barrette, in the center (my hair's below my waist----so, real hippie!! LOL).

I DO like to get dressed-up, every once-in-awhile, like for a Christmas party when I'm working, and then I go all-out, and wear a cocktail dress and heels (yes, HEELS----3, 4, 5 inches----I don't care that I'm too tall!!). I've been told, all-my-life, that I have nice legs, and I think heels really set a woman's legs, off!! !

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 2:55 pm

nyxjord wrote:
Yes, I know there is another forum post where everyone posts a picture of what they are dressed in/ everyone posts what they are wearing at that moment. What I am wondering is.. is there a certain way that a majority of us dress? I mean, apart from being "comfy." For example, from a young age, I usually preferred to dress nicely-- ie in dresses, nice slacks with a sweater etc. Is that a common thing with us or do the majority prefer to dress down? Just wondering. I am going to uni and with kids much younger than I am (7 years) so I see that usually they go around everywhere, dressed in pajamas or exercise outfits. I would never leave the house in either of those things and usually wear jeans and a collared or button down shirt. Anyone else? If not, what is your "normal outfit" like?

Church clothes and hick clothes. Slacks and a sports jacket. Jeans, a t-shirt, and my fishing hat or waterproof fishing overalls and my hat.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 3:12 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I am sure some days I do look like that, at least in the morning...if I have to go to 7-11 in the morning I'm not going to bother getting dressed I just walk there in pajamas.

Well that makes sense. I'm probably not up early enough to see people doing that. LOL I was thinking of what the OP said, college students just going through their day dressed in pajamas like that is how they prefer to dress at all times.

I admit that in college, sometimes I did go to class just having rolled out of bed. I don't think I ever went to class in my pajamas though. I may have occasionally gone to class smelling like a distillery. I usually just didn't make it to class in the morning though.

What I really dislike is seeing people who do customer service jobs with ratty clothes and nasty hair. Especially if they are serving food and they don't have their hair covered. I see a lot of that in convenience stores.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 3:28 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I do dress for the seasons, but like I said earlier, I am more sensitive to the cold, which means I wear a scarf even when the temperature is in the teens (I'm talking Celsius). People seem to get all judgemental about it, although I don't know why because it's not exactly that different as such. It's just that some of us feel the cold more than others. I would understand it if I were wearing a scarf on a really hot day, but not when it's still quite chilly. Once when I was on my break at work I had to pop into the town to get a sandwich, and I had my black work trousers and shoes on, and just a white vest top, because that is what we all wear at work (it is really hot at work). And one man said ''it isn't that hot!'' as I passed, then two women looked at me funny. I felt like yelling, ''what's the big deal? I'm on my lunch break and I've been working my arse off, I'm hot and hungry. And besides, usually I go about wearing a scarf and coat in this chilly-but-not-cold temperature, so butt out!! !''

I am like this too, and I think it's weird how other people seem to take umbrage at seeing someone dressed more/less warmly than they are. Seems like I am always either too hot or too cold, I am sensitive to both. The least little chill in the air makes me want to put on a scarf and maybe a coat too.

Sometimes I wear a scarf in hot weather, not for the warmth but to protect my neck from the sun.

I can get really hot while I'm working so even in cold weather I may end up stripping down to a short sleeved shirt. I always have to wear layers so I can do that if I need to. But when I put a coat on, I notice my coat is heavier than the ones other people are wearing. And they notice it too.

sdu
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Oct 2014, 7:58 pm

T-shirt or long sleeve shirt (usually with neutral colours), grey hoodie, and black jeans in the colder months, and t-shirt with shorts in the summer. I have five favourite shirts that I almost only wear during the week, and two that I keep for the weekend. My selection of clothes is rather boring since I've always hated shopping, although I do care about the way I look and dress.

I don't really like dressing in a very formal manner since I can't stand the feeling of these clothes (suits, for instance): it seems that I feel constrained by the heaviness of many types of formal attire. It's the same thing with winter clothes such as heavier coats or boots, both of which are essential where I live.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 7:59 pm

some enterprising clothing designer needs to invent lightweight formal wear. he or she'd have a ready-made customer base.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 8:18 pm

Regarding indoor vs. outdoor clothes: I do that too...but my main reason is that I do not want to stay in my Walmart outfit any longer than I absolutely have to. :D

My collared shirts for work are men's, I think--it was coming up to the deadline for the new dress code and I couldn't find any women's that fit. These fit perfectly, and I don't think anyone notices (or would care if they did).

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2014, 8:53 am

In summer, dresses or tank tops + skirt. No pants in summer.

Colder seasons: usually a fitted sweater plus jeans, or sweater + skirt + boots. I think I try to be decently dressed with matched colors and things that fit well. Classic jewelry to go with outfits. Light perfume as the finishing touch. I don't do scarves however or hats or necklace. Don't like the feeling of them, feel suffocating. I might go for a trendy outfit or two each season, but I usually don't try too hard.

Of course what I care about the most is comfort. None of my clothes have rough tags (got cut off), scratchy seams or irritating decorations. Nothing too tight or too loose. I'm good at sewing and altering and can usually fix clothes to make them comfortable and well fitting.