Page 4 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2005, 1:15 am

I also believe that the mythbusters do have AS, although they could be deemed too social. Oh well. The other people on the mythbusters suck compared to the Aspies on it.

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.

kittymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2005, 1:56 am

Malcolm_Scipo wrote:
I also believe that the mythbusters do have AS, although they could be deemed too social. Oh well. The other people on the mythbusters suck compared to the Aspies on it.

I'm pretty darn sure that Adam is not on the spectrum, he has no social problems, other than the thick black glasses and pasty white 98-pound weakling body, and that has nothing to do with AS. He's quite socially adept. He does collect strange and unusual eyewear, but that's about it. He's very much like my son (a Tasmanian devil of destruction), and the only aspie/autie characteristic my son has is a couple of perserverations, much like Adam has. Not all unusual or interesting people are on the spectrum.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2005, 2:16 am

Musician Gary Numan of "Cars" fame is said to have aspergers

platypus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 May 2005, 12:02 pm

Scoots5012 wrote:
Musician Gary Numan of "Cars" fame is said to have aspergers

This is true. He's been diagnosed, and has talked about Asperger's in interviews.

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2005, 4:17 am

I have the Crow DVD, and it has an interview with the creator of the coomic book, James O'Barr, and anyway I can relate to everything he says, but that doesn't necesarily mean he is an aspie. He just said how he was a lonely quiet child and he just seemed a lot like me, even now.

So what do you think?

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2005, 9:04 am

Stonewall Jackson? He was def. odd, a loner, and transcendantly brillant in warfare. What do you think?

Sam Rayburn, a very famous representative from Texas seems to fit the same mold. Particulary recall that he loved baseball but was afraid to go to games in fear of being reconized without anyone near him. Lonely, (read Robert Caro's Master of the Senate for more info) brilliant and probably the most dominant political force of the 20th century. He put the SEC into law, brought about civil rights in the house, and was the longest serving Speaker of the House ever. Was also known for being totally incorruptable. Any thoughts?

Orwell Wingate (I am not sure if that is his first name), another odd general. He created the Chindits, a band of soldiers that went beyond enemy (japanese) and waged very successful guerilla wars on the asian mainland. Known for being a loner, would be said to be practically socialy inept. Used to talk to his officers while laying in bed, naked and picking fleas/ticks out of his body hair. Any ideas on this guy?

Robert Moses, "masterbuilder" of NYC. Not so sure at all with him. He is described as being a loner, but he clearly is able to connect with some people. Seems a stretch, but wondering if anyone else here has read up on him and has ideas.

HAH! I know the following paragraph really belongs in the fictional AS post but please forgive my errant transgressions :lol:

Dan Akroyd has AS? wow. I was watching the blues brothers and it struck me that his character fit all the citera; never makes eye contact (with the sun glasses and all), odd dress, odd eating (2 peices of toast), and intense interest in blues music. Plus, I don't think I ever saw him express any sort of emotion.

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2005, 10:52 am

Has Tim Burton got AS?

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2005, 1:07 pm

Prometheus said:

Quote:
Stonewall Jackson? He was def. odd, a loner, and transcendantly brillant in warfare. What do you think?

I had heard a rumor from an old history professor of mine in high school (who also, now that I look back, seemed to be very AS in his level of eccentricity and lack of social skills and his EXTREME interest in history) that a few have considered Andrew Jackson to have had a milder case of Paranoid Schizophrenia.

As I have read very little of this interesting gentleman I have no evidence to back this up in any way. Just thought it was interesting.

Also interesting in the similarities between Autism and Schizophrenia as well, which is why I could see Jackson going either way.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

UnconfirmedAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2005, 8:13 pm

Robin Williams has ADD.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2005, 9:25 pm

TheWhale wrote:
KingChaosNinja wrote:
I'd put money on Robin Williams.

I wouldn't. I have met him a few times. He was originally going to play the role based on me. I met him at Dreamworks in 1996 and again at the World Premiere of "Patch Adams" in 1998.

Robin is very interested in AS though. He has publicly stated that "Sy, the Photo Guy" from "One Hour Photo" has asperger's which explained the obvious social boundary problems of the character.

Jerry Newport

.....Role based on you???

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 1:50 am

strange_wraith wrote:
Speaking of musicians, I've heard rumors that Neil Young has asperger's, which, to me, expalins a lot of his career moves.

He's a fairly outspoken advocate for autism and autism research due to the fact that one of his sons has autism. I don't know if Neil Young has AS, though.

Soma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2005, 6:12 am

I made a seperate topic on this, but here's someone a little out there. Bjork. Think on it. If you're interested, go to www.indian.co.uk/audiovideo/bjork/index.html

and check out Joga and the way she moves. Airswatting aplenty :P Then think about the infamous 'dummyspit' of 1997, about how protective she is of her son, (didn't want anyone to touch him...ring any bells?) and then see how she speaks. Think on all the quirks that she's renown for, and, do you see a fellow aspie in her?

Henry David Thoureau, 1854

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 12:07 pm

Craig Nicholls (The Vines) has AS

and what about the White Stripes (both of them)?---> I absolutely agree, not all weird or interesting people are aspies, but they give me a looot to think about...

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 12:14 pm

I think a lot of you people want to believe people you admire have AS. A lot of musicians have certain similarities, but don't have it overall. There's a grey area between ASs and NTs. But I suggest you people look beyond what you'd like to think is the case.

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 10:17 pm

You are right, thatrsdude...

Vejita
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2005, 5:47 pm

aaaaaaahhh, Im extremely happy that such a topic exists :) It's excellent !

Here are my guess: Timothy McVeigh, the Columbine shooters and Unabomber as quoted earlier, Michael Moore (i just feel it, maybe i will present my arguments later)
There is also a SUV burner who finished in jail, do you remember him ?

and I have a VERY VERY strong suspicion on ... Condoleeza Rice, let me explain:

-no known friends except W. Bush, SINGLE never married nor dated at least publicly (maybe she's still virgin even ?) while she's very cute and brilliant

-very very intelligent, speaks Russian fluently, expert on Eastern Europe history and civilisation; piano virtuosis; and all of this while she comes from a very poor area and had to cope with racism in her State

-always wears the same clothes, never frankly smiles

-lack of empathy... remember about the tsunami "[the tsunami]is a wonderful occasion (something like that) for the USA"... and two days after Katrina, she was seen buying shoes in New York shops...

-walks and speaks strange, I feel...

she was scaring me and i did not know why until I heard about Asperger's (and im on the way of being fully diagnosed)

what do you think about her case ? and also... do you think we can "feel" each others ? I mean detecting each others, like the immortals in Highlander ? Im not talking of a sixth sense, but i think that with some training we can detect the non-NT people around us, if we just observe them...[/b]