Why people with Asperger's Syndrome are so often depressed..

Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 9:10 pm

starkid wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Being depressed causes a defeatist attitude because being depressed is defeating.

Would that mean that everyone who ever had a defeatist attitude was depressed at the time, and no one who wasn't depressed could have a defeatist attitude?

I don't think so. There are other aspects to depression besides having a defeatist attitude. Sometimes there's just a sense that things aren't as enjoyable and life as a whole seems to lose meaning. From my own perspective that's a part of depression that seems to occur independently of defeatist thoughts. There's just a general feeling of "blah" that makes it hard to muster the energy to feel positive or motivated. It's also possible to have a defeatist attitude and not be clinically depressed. It can be a totally natural reaction to going up against an insurmountable obstacle. We pathologise it, but the truth is this kind of depression can be instantly removed when the obstacle is removed. This is not so with clinical depression. You continue to feel depressed even if you manage some success. That's how insipid depression is. You can feel it even when there is no reason for it.

Neuron9
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2015, 10:45 am

I find this ridiculous. Most of my life I have suffered due to the belief that I am LESS than human. I don't want to dominate other people. I want to be considered an adequate human being, and I want to be able to separate myself from people and be alone.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 11:15 am

I often say that I'm sideways to NT people: not above or below, but sideways.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII