Traumatising experience of the diagnostic assessment

Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Jenoir
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2015, 4:32 am

I've been thinking about the ADOS module 4 assessment I undertook. One activity which I loathed was being provided with a sponge, paperclip, King of Spades card etc and asked to make a story out of it. I was paralysed and used the pieces in quite a literal manner. (I couldn't give them peoples names or anything). This made me think that maybe I couldn't actually project my imagination onto objects. (I have a very strong imagination but in a different way, I have to see things in my head.) This led me to think about Object Relations Theory and I was edging towards thinking oh, maybe they are right, I am autistic. But then I drank a bottle of Barolo last night and tested myself with random objects and could do it. I tried again this morning and tho it is awkward to do, I can do it. Am so confused by it all...maybe I was just thrown by their childish tones and approach? My head is exploding with unanswered questions.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2015, 4:56 pm

Im in the UK i. Getting tested soon. I. Really worrying about the test after readi g this :0(

mournerx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 May 2016, 12:50 am

Jenoir wrote:
Yeah, I've read a lot about Baron Cohen's diagnostic tests - they are very much aligned with male presentation of symptoms. I have to say I'm quite fond of the intense world theory. That works for me...Also, I read that that there is a link between hypermobility syndrome and autism recently. I was diagnosed with the former a few months back and there appears to be little awareness that it's a multi-system phenotype. People just think "oh, so you're double jointed/a bit bendy...so what?!" But it's based on collagen variant and collagen is found not only in joints but in the cornea, bones, dentin, gut etc. This led me to wondering whether there is a collagen/protein variant in the brain that is causing hyper-plasticity/reactivity in certain regions- meaning frequent overwhelm/high sensitivity/more processing etc. I read research that the hippocampus produces collagen V1 which lubricates neurons in order to protect them from amyloid toxicity (the build up of which causes neurogenerative diseases). I wondered if in autism the neurons are being lubricated with a collagen that aids that but also causes them to be a bit wild, a bit more flexible...

That's such a cool idea :P

It's EDS awareness month at the moment.. a friend of mine just found out they have it (also hypermobility). they also meet criteria for sensory processing disorder, but are not Autistic. SPD and autism are neurologically close though it seems!

twitter @zettelstelle

Dxed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder 16/04/2016

Formal diagnosis is for access to services, not to validate me as Autistic. Self-diagnosis is valid.

Veilmenacex
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2017, 2:24 pm

hey

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jan 2017, 12:09 pm

TheAvenger161173 wrote:
Im in the UK i. Getting tested soon. I. Really worrying about the test after readi g this :0(

I think it really depends on the services available in your local NHS. In my area we have an adult autism diagnostic service which was set up a couple of years ago. It was a really helpful process for me, if quite long and involved. They explained things clearly and the range of assessments were gender and age appropriate as far as I could tell.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 12:37 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Jenoir wrote:
As an aside, you mention narrow interests - I've been diagnosed but I can't say my interests are narrow but I do get obsessed over the subjects I'm taken by which include philosophy, music, feminism, literature, psychology, neuroscience quantum mechanics and politics to name just a few. I guess everyone is individual eh!

I think this fits with B.3 in the ASD diagnostic criteria, specifically, "excessively circumscribed or perseverative interests."

People tend to focus on the "excessively circumscribed" part but "excessively perseverative" part is just as much a criterion for the diagnosis.

My interests are somewhat broad, like yours, but the way that I go on multi-year binges of researching them with obsessive hyperfocus is not. My understanding is that this is not at all unusual in people with ASDs, though there is a lot of variation in this, which is why the diagnostic criteria were written in a way that acknowledges both the perseverative and circumscribed aspects.

Thank you for that explanation. This is something that's been bugging me. Because my interests are not even remotely circumscribed, but certainly excessively perseverative.

"Multi-year binges of researching"....check! :ninja: