AS traits - Neither autistic or neurotypical -inconclusive

Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

16 Nov 2018, 7:31 pm

It's a scale so you could just be lightly on the scale. I didn't get diagnosed until I was an adult after sending a referral to see a phsychologist for evalution so clearly the traits I have weren't obvious enough for anyone to notice as I was growing up. I was always an odd and extremely quiet, lonley kid but people just saw me as shy.

I've gotten braver since I got my diagnosis. I know myself better now and I don't hold myself back as much and i'm not lonley anymore. I think that getting a diagnosis was a wonderful thing. It's worth the waiting time.

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

16 Nov 2018, 7:53 pm

^^^ I didn't get my diagnosis until July of this year, which was about a month and a half since I graduated high school. That being said a psychologist I saw when I was 14 said I might've had it and there were signs since I was about 8 years old. Like I'd have public meltdowns on a regular basis. But I feel that getting my diagnosis has helped a lot. Actually only saw the doctor because I was feeling really depressed this summer and I wanted to go. Did not expect an ASD diagnosis.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 9:09 am

sorrowfairiewhisper wrote:
Ok so basically, a couple of years ago, I had an assessment. I have close relatives with asperger/autism too. I've been told that I have AS traits but not enough to say yes or no. Has anyone else, ever have this unusual outcome? then a straight forward yes you're autistic or no you're neurotypical?

I've been advised to possibly seek a second opinion. I've enquired and awaiting to see, after my original assessment notes get looked at, if i'd be forwarded and put on the waiting list for another assessment, which will take a least a year. I'm sceptical incase it's a complete waste of my time yet again or i'd be told again it's inconclusive.

I have had that same experience, the tool used in my assessment and the assessor's observations being clear that my profile fits the criteria, but that I seem to have made enough good use of the strong points of my autistic profile to avoid it seriously disabling me, and the lack of evidence of it significantly disabling me meant in a full clinical diagnosis I probably would not be diagnosed.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 4:16 pm

jamthis12 wrote:
Yeah I firmly believe that "normal" does not exist. Everyone has something.

Agree with your sentiments entirely Jamthis12 and like Superaliengirl, i've too have always been reserved and quiet so no one can really detect anything from me, as I wasnt "obvious" with it. I'd guess a part of me wants that help and support and to be able to understand, why i've always struggled and had a hard time fitting in but having a diagnosis or not, won't probably make a difference. I'll still be overlooked like I always have done. I can resonate with what Richard was saying about eugentics ect.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 1:48 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Richard_the_ Dogged wrote:
Usually if someone supports the idea of Autism - Aspergers, it is because they also support the ideas of Social Darwinism and Eugenics.

That is certainly NOT true, these days at least. It may have been true during the first half of the 20th century, when eugenics was fashionable and just about everyone in the Western world believed in it, but certainly not anymore.

I know that autism is real, but I do not support any of those two backward things. I think that you need to take a break from WP and get yourself a hobby.

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

19 Nov 2018, 1:59 am

Yeah I can still say that autism is a thing while also hating eugenicists with all of my heart and wishing it died at Nuremburg. It might've been coined by Nazis, but that doesn't mean autism as a diagnosis is inherently fascist in nature. Because we are different, no doubt about that,but that doesn't mean we aren't just as good as NTs.