I don't know 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 54

Lampipe
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Sep 2024, 7:19 am

MrsPeel wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
It's shocking how much hatred there was towards Jews for such a long time.

It's not past tense!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2024, 11:14 pm

My grandparents grew up during the Great Depression and for a long time my grandfather did not like Japanese people, although I don't remember him saying anything racist about them. His attitude changed however, when my uncle (my mom's younger brother) got married to my aunt, who is from Japan.

I really don't get how countries stop being enemies with each other only to become enemies with other countries they got along with before. Humans must just love war and adults were being huge hypocrites when they told us kids not to think war or violence solved anything. Apparently they hoped we would never have to go to war. And look how that turned out. :x

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2024, 1:45 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
My grandparents grew up during the Great Depression and for a long time my grandfather did not like Japanese people, although I don't remember him saying anything racist about them. His attitude changed however, when my uncle (my mom's younger brother) got married to my aunt, who is from Japan.

I really don't get how countries stop being enemies with each other only to become enemies with other countries they got along with before. Humans must just love war and adults were being huge hypocrites when they told us kids not to think war or violence solved anything. Apparently they hoped we would never have to go to war. And look how that turned out. :x

the real issue is the politicians i feel and the Corprotocracy that has become the USA

where ever you go ,there you are

ShwaggyD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2024, 12:51 pm

Both of my grandpas fought in WWII. 1 got injured by a landmine, the other was trapped behind enemy lines for several days during Battle of the Bulge. Grandma worked in shipyard during WWII. Step father and several uncles and cousins fought in Viet Nam.

Sad to see the difference emotional trauma each war had on the different groups. Grandparents believed in what they were fighting for during WWII so even though they dealt with physical and mental issues they weren't ashamed of what they did during war. Many of the people I knew fought in Viet Nam didn't really understand why we were there or even really want to go there; they had no choice. Most of those family members ended up addicted to drugs and alcohol trying to escape the mental and emotional horrors trapped in their minds.

I don't know if any of their war experiences had any effect on my being autistic as I'm fairly certain that my grandma was already. I do know that having them around did have a profound effect on me and my mental perspective of many subjects, especially war and group violence. My Viet Nam war relatives taught me self defense and weapons free combat techniques during my youth, my perspective on war and violence learned from all of them taught me to avoid using those skills except as a last resort. Through their eyes I saw the internal cost taking another life, even in war, can have our inner self.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2024, 3:57 am

ShwaggyD wrote:
my perspective on war and violence learned from all of them taught me to avoid using those skills except as a last resort. Through their eyes I saw the internal cost taking another life, even in war, can have our inner self.

Very wise advice.
Thank you for sharing!

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2024, 5:42 pm

My Granddad was conscripted and served in Africa during world war two, and some other places I think.

PrivatePyle99
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Sep 2024, 12:47 am

MrsPeel wrote:
ShwaggyD wrote:
my perspective on war and violence learned from all of them taught me to avoid using those skills except as a last resort. Through their eyes I saw the internal cost taking another life, even in war, can have our inner self.

Very wise advice.
Thank you for sharing!

That’s such a powerful family history.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 140 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

SlinkyOuroboros
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Sep 2024, 1:22 am

My grandfather served as a sonar technician on a nuclear submarine in Korea and Vietnam.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2024, 10:18 am

My dad's father served time in WWII fighting against the Japanese.

My uncle served time in the Viatnam War.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

FemmeDimanche
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Sep 2024, 6:47 pm

My grandfather served in several tours in Vietnam.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2024, 12:04 am

My dad's father served time in WWII and my dad's younger brother served time in the Vietnam War. They're both dead now. My uncle died from cancer at age 61. My grandfather died from old age, he was diabetic and got sick and his immune system couldn't handle it so he died.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

peet

01 Oct 2024, 2:57 pm

I voted no, Sweden hasn't done much fighting in the last few hundred years. I do have an ancestor fought in the Thirty Years' War. He was a captain at the battle of Lützen, 1632.

I got many priests way, way back on my aspie side of the family. One priest traced our family back to the 10th century. A jewish mother fled Scotland with her daughter to come to Sweden. Her husband was killed, for being jewish.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2024, 3:06 pm

peet wrote:
I voted no, Sweden hasn't done much fighting in the last few hundred years. I do have an ancestor fought in the Thirty Years' War. He was a captain at the battle of Lützen, 1632.

I got many priests way, way back on my aspie side of the family. One priest traced our family back to the 10th century. A jewish mother fled Scotland with her daughter to come to Sweden. Her husband was killed, for being jewish.

Am sorry that the evils of prejudice. towards Jewish individuals existed even that far back in time...little less impressed with Sweden than I used to be . But have more recent relatives that lived there for a time, And they only had good impressions from what , I read in the journals. Very cool to be able to trace lineage that far back. :mrgreen:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2024, 3:18 pm

Jakki wrote:
peet wrote:

Am sorry that the evils of prejudice. towards Jewish individuals existed even that far back in time...little less impressed with Sweden than I used to be . But have more recent relatives that lived there for a time, And they only had good impressions from what , I read in the journals. Very cool to be able to trace lineage that far back. :mrgreen:

I believe that they meant that their ancestor was killed in Scotland...causing the mom to flee to Sweden.

peet

01 Oct 2024, 3:30 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Jakki wrote:
peet wrote:

I believe that they meant that their ancestor was killed in Scotland...causing the mom to flee to Sweden.

Mom and daughter fled to Sweden. Father got killed, in what was descibed as martyr. I might have been unclear.
Side note. One of my ancestors lived in three centuries 15th, 16th and 17th.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2024, 3:31 pm

TY. NP and Peel for clarification.. :oops: ... 8O