10 Oct 2007, 6:49 pm

Coffee makes me drowsey. I like tea.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 6:51 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Silver_Meteor wrote:
For most of my adult life, I did not drink coffee. I simply never liked coffee flavor. There is one exception. I will drink the fruit flavored coffees at Dunkin Donuts if they are served hot and have cream and sugar in them. They are not too bad and the caffeine wakes me up.

But plain black coffee: Forget about it. I loathe the stuff. Never liked it. Never will. Don't care for iced coffee. Tea on the other hand with lemon and sugar I always liked. Do you think being on the Autistic Spectrum has any bearing on whether you dislike the taste of coffee? Am I the only one who feels this way?

it's common for autistics to either have a hypo or hyper sensitive sense of taste,more common than autistics with normal sense of taste.
as coffee is a strong taste [especially the plain stuff],it would be more likely to appeal less to those who have a hypersensitive sense of taste,but it's possible not just to like the taste of it anyway,it is a unique flavour.
have tried mocha? the chocolate dulls the coffee a bit and tastes good.

Bearsac-Debra,
have ever got sick from the smell of it?
sister [NT] started having this problem some time ago,used to drink it,but then the smell started to make her dizzy and sick.

Quote:
I see no one yet has said that coffee makes them speedy. My friend said that she gives her teenager son coffee before gong to bed at it helps with his ADD, do you think that stimulants have this effect with people on the spectrum?

am self medicated with caffeine for years,it has the reverse effect on am and slows am down,am have been diagnosed with adhd though,as well as having autism,not sure how it would affect someone who was purely autie or aspie.

It's not because I am hypersensitive to taste. I just never cared for coffee flavor itself. Coffee-flavored ice cream for example was one of the flavors I simply did not like growing up.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 7:02 pm

I love my coffee black, with nothing added to it. I have 2 cups every morning, and sometimes I'll get something like a mocha from Starbucks or other coffee house as a treat.

philski
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2007, 7:15 pm

A Cafe Mocha a day keeps the brain farts away...
Need I say more? :lol:

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Oct 2007, 2:42 am

thanks kclark, psych, & cosmiccat

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 4:23 am

I guess it would all depend on Your taste sensitivity. I love coffee, but i usually have conditions. I prefer drinking it at home, and with a little half and half. No sugar, because it makes the coffee taste sour to me. If i get a coffee from somewhere else, they better have half and half. I dont like the plasticky taste from nondairy creamer. If i have already poured it and then discover there is no half and half, then out of politeness, i will drink it black...and make a mental note. There is a five mile radius i have mentally mapped out of places around my work that have good coffee that meets speck. Surprisingly, mcdonald's is up there on the scale. As long as i can put my own damn cream in my own damn coffee.