Page 4 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

moo_cow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2007, 12:43 am

I've got enough pills to open up a pharmacy. They are mostly medicines that I don't take any more and didn't like. I'm only taking two now that seem to be the best combination for me.

Maxx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2007, 12:49 am

I take no medication. For the longest time I was on ritalin. I had believed it helped me concentrate. Perhaps for a while it did. The dosage was increased when it was deemed necessary, and after a while, it began to have more negative effects on me, and soon it only served to put me in a mental fog the whole day. I have taken nothing since.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Nov 2007, 4:20 am

Maxx wrote:
I take no medication. For the longest time I was on ritalin. I had believed it helped me concentrate. Perhaps for a while it did. The dosage was increased when it was deemed necessary, and after a while, it began to have more negative effects on me, and soon it only served to put me in a mental fog the whole day. I have taken nothing since.

Hey MAXX!! Could not help but notice you live in syracuse NY. Heh, I work where you live, Im in OSwego NY! Ya, its a bit of a commute, but I just wanted to say hi I like seeing people who live so close to me post!

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2007, 5:49 am

Haven't used any psychoactive meds, other then the recreational drugs like caffeine, nicotine, alcohol and thc.

moo_cow wrote:
Where did you read that antipsychotics cause brain damage? I'd like to know about that.

How does tardive dyskinesia sound?

Bodorus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Nov 2007, 12:26 pm

i never took any medicine, and i probably never will.
"Let food be your medicine, and medicine your food" Hippocrates (one of the fathers of medicine by the way)

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Nov 2007, 1:18 pm

i dont. and never will, i'll only take meds for a physical illness

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 3:06 pm

In my daughter's special ed class, her aide said that she'd never met a kid in that class who wasn't on meds, except for my daughter. Now that my daughter has seizures she has to take meds.

Occasional Xanax is all anyone in my family is willing to take.

hoqnq

06 Nov 2007, 10:44 pm

If THC doesn't count, then no.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

06 Nov 2007, 10:54 pm

My 2 sons with AS are not on any medication.

A paediatrician tried to put one on Zoloft when he was only 6, so I gave her the sack and found a new paediatrician.

Helen

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Nov 2007, 11:43 pm

I don't take medication. I've always had anxiety issues, especially social anxiety and emotion issues. I haven't had to deal with it for a long time because I never interacted with people. I'm really starting to believe that I can't interact with people as much as I should without some form of medication. Even though I like being a loner, but I do need interaction. However I'm kind of weary of taking medication, due to side effects. Plus I feel like I'm copping-out. (no offense to people that do take medication)

flikr

06 Nov 2007, 11:52 pm

When I was under 18 my mom made me take every med in the f*****g book, now I'm 18 I don't have to put up with that s**t, the only way I would take drugs other than for recreational purposes are if someone strapped me to a chair and forced them down my mouth. They will just f**k with your body and you'll end up dying of cancer or something. Although ssri drugs I have thought of taking to make me more sociable. But I probably wouldn't though.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 2:25 am

I find excercising in the morning very good it helps me in alot of things even inetracting is alot better since I started execrising.

bjorker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2007, 2:59 am

I was always dead-set against meds, but I did give in and take paxil for awhile. I highly doubt I would take anything like that again unless I was in a dire situation. I hated how zombie-like I felt. Even if I did feel sad, I couldn't even cry, which is major for me to let out those feelings. But mostly I didn't feel much of anything. Even when my emotions get difficult, I'd rather just let myself feel it and BE MYSELF than mask it with drugs.

hhyyjj163
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2007, 8:08 am

i have try some drug:
coffer
ritalin
paroxetine
prozac
clonidine
clomipramine
amantadine

5-htp
l-tyrosine
selenium
mag-VB6
hops-Valerian
melatonin
fish oil

and now i am on prozac
everyone is different , everyone must try the different drug and different dosage.

and go following your feeling ,do you want to do.
i think this is very important!
not following expert's advice or dogma

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 8:40 pm

C2H5OH

Sometimes I wonder whether something for depression would help, but I have never taken any meds (other than antibiotics).

I don't smoke anymore, but I used to sometimes go outside by myself and sit and have a cigar. I think the "need" for a cigar was really a need for time out, but I did like the nicotine hit. Now when I need time out, I go out to the garage and mess around with fishing gear and have a beer.

IronicChef
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Nov 2007, 9:08 pm

I used to drink two pots of coffee at work, but I've cut back to a single triple-shot first thing in the morning. Apparently I spontaneously turned into a complete as*hole after 2pm. Never noticed a difference, personally.

I smoke a pack 'n change of cigarettes every day.

I drink like a fish every night.

That's the Bipolar side of me trying to self-medicate. The nicotine calms me. The alcohol numbs me and helps me sleep. I'm in the midst of coming to terms with the grim reality that what I need are prescription drugs rather than the continued lung and liver abuse. I've avoided them because I had a terrible experience with anti-depressants when I was much younger (and it turns out that in many cases anti-depressants are really, really bad for us co-morbid Bipolar types).

I narrowly avoided an addiction to THC (the idea of trying to procure it for myself was so terrifying that I never pursued it - chalk one up for AS). Never did anything harder than that.

As for regular medication, I got the usual rounds of antibiotics (last time was almost twenty years ago for a really nasty case of waking pneumonia) and was heavily dosed for ear infections as a kid. Funny, I've always assumed my problems with understanding conversation were a result of some kind of hearing loss resulting from burst eardrums, though now I wonder if it might be a perceptual disorder... I must look into that further.

I don't ascribe to homeopathy - it's been pretty thoroughly debunked.

I never remember to take my damn vitamins.

I sometimes wish like hell there was something I could pop that would help me understand other people better, or make me more comprehensible to them, if only for a few hours.

Nick