No, I have the dancing skills of a dead armadillo 50%  50%  [ 76 ]
I think I'm good at dancing, but everyone else thinks otherwise 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
What's dancing? 14%  14%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 151

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2008, 10:19 pm

I do DDR, but that doesn't really count. It's great exercise though.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 10:21 pm

ebec11 wrote:
I love dancing (And I think I'm good), it's the loud music and getting bumped into all the time that freaks me out.

Hail and Well Met, ebec11: :)

One trick I discovered to keep from getting bumped into all the time: Dance at science fiction conventions or Halloween parties and wear a costume. People respected the costume and kept a good safe distance.

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." -- REM

Last edited by the_phoenix on 08 Feb 2008, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 10:22 pm

I can't even decide what foot to put infront to begin walking. You think I'd be able to dance? I wouldn't even run if I needed to.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Feb 2008, 10:37 pm

englishwolf wrote:
To quote my mum "there'll be someone calling out what you do, it's impossible to get wrong" I have one thing to say to you mum, Asperger's Syndrome (she doesn't know I have it, though that will be changing in the very near future).

A suggestion. Can you show up with a bandaged ankle? It might be dishonest, but no one would dream of asking you to dance if you are hurt! 8)

Bea
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2008, 10:47 pm

I think dancing takes a good sense of rhythm which is a talent some people have and some people don't,
along with agility (being loose in the small of the back). Some people get too tense and don't know how
to relax their spine. I usually dance in the house without anyone around while I do housework. I can
forget to be nervous in a social setting (weddings, etc.) if the music has a good beat.

Hedgehog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2008, 1:41 am

I love dancing.
Which is apparently very strange for both a guy and an Aspie, but whatever.
I don't like club dancing, but folk dancing, especially ones from Eastern Europe.
I have no idea if I'm good, but I KNOW I could outdo a dead Armadillo any day.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 3:04 am

Whenever I try to follow the steps of a dance, I lose track of where my feet are. By the time I find them again (you'd think it would be obvious- they do tend to stay at the ends of my legs, but my brain is a bit dumb sometimes :lol:) , I've missed out on a number of steps.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

freak_audio
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Feb 2008, 7:09 am

I'll dance occasionally, if the right person's about to convince me.. and I'm in the right mood... After a few drinks....

I have this feeling for the most part that I shouldn't do anything unless I know I can do it well. :|

Really like to get lessons actually.. Breakdancing perhaps. :twisted:

lithium
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Feb 2008, 7:20 am

i have no idea if i can dance, i'm always holding myself back, i'm not as spontanious as NT's and i'm always scared of what others will think, and at parties when i'm about to actually dance, i realise that i'm to drunk to stand up

RedTape0651
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Feb 2008, 11:39 am

GoatOnFire wrote:
I can't dance at all, and I have a feeling that I'm not the only aspie like that. It doesn't seem like an aspie thing.

I ask because a few weeks ago I actually went out with a group to a club. I didn't realize it was a dance club. :x I thought everything was going to be okay because I wasn't the only guy there who didn't want to dance so I tried to stay seated on the couches there with those guys to avoid dancing. However, the hottest girl in the club came over and tried to drag me on to the dance floor. What could I do? I decided to be brave and go out there. Big mistake, as I said I can't dance at all and I made a total arse out of myself. :oops:

So I wonder, is it possible for aspies to be good dancers at all?

I took a gender-balanced ballroom dancing class back in college. We had a midterm and final where we were evaluated on our dancing skills. Of all the males, I got the second lowest grade on the midterm and the lowest grade on the final.

englishwolf
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2008, 1:06 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
englishwolf wrote:
To quote my mum "there'll be someone calling out what you do, it's impossible to get wrong" I have one thing to say to you mum, Asperger's Syndrome (she doesn't know I have it, though that will be changing in the very near future).

A suggestion. Can you show up with a bandaged ankle? It might be dishonest, but no one would dream of asking you to dance if you are hurt! 8)

I could potentially do that as I did legitimately snap my ankle into 3 pieces almost exactly a year ago, but I couldn't live with myself if I did. I'm planning on telling my sister face to face exactly how I feel about dancing next time I see her which should be quite a bit before the wedding.
If I can't get the courage up to tell her to her face (and this is more then likely) then I will just send her a very long email explaining everything. She knows I have Asperger's as I told her and my other sister a couple of months back and she works with kids so she does understand a lot more then most people do.

Back to the subject of the thread, it looks like most aspies can, or at least believe they can dance. Polls don't seem to want to ever show themselves on my computer but from all the messages in the thread it looks like most can dance.

Selo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2008, 1:36 pm

I'm an okay dancer, though with actual choreography I find it hard to memorize a lot of steps XD But yeah, I'm not that bad.

dongiovanni
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Feb 2008, 1:53 pm

I dance fairly well.

Lindy, Swing, Waltz, Cha-cha, Tango, VERY little Charleston (I plan on changing that soon)

I don't do bump-grind dancing. It's just weird to me.

I won't translate it because it doesn't mean anything.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 2:58 pm

Lucky for me I'm not into any kind of dance-able music. My peer group consists of a bunch of metal heads so if anyone else mentions something like dancing or pop music, I've got a good cover as to why I don't dance. Can't really dance to Pantera. Try moshing, perhaps?

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 3:13 pm

KristaMeth wrote:
Lucky for me I'm not into any kind of dance-able music. My peer group consists of a bunch of metal heads so if anyone else mentions something like dancing or pop music, I've got a good cover as to why I don't dance. Can't really dance to Pantera. Try moshing, perhaps?

That could be a good excuse for me, I can mosh. But I never realized that at a club some random lady would actually try to pull me off the couch to dance, that surprised me. I guess it was such a surprise that's why I got up. Moshing is better at a live concert, though, and Pantera isn't going to be playing any more of those ever again. :cry:

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Feb 2008, 3:47 pm

A funny thing about dance classes, is that I always get confused as to left and right. Also, while taking ballet, I would always end up doing a step the opposite of the way it should be done. It's as if I have a giant backward mirror in my brain, LOL.