09 Apr 2008, 10:38 am

Bravo! Bravo Alex! :cheers:

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2008, 1:14 pm

anathemaviolet wrote:
Tetraquartz,

I just noticed that Katie does hand gestures in the same way I do (pretty much like normal people, despite other Aspie traits). I do it more when I'm anxious than any other time. I wonder if it's correct to assume that gesturing while speaking is less common in guy Aspies than girl ones. Isn't that how the general population is too?

I don't know. I do know people used to poke fun at me for overuse of hand gestures. And other mannerisms that I couldn't tell the difference between normal and not. Yet they seemed to notice something.

In public speaking one learns to keep hand gestures to a minimum, but I kept forgetting and using hand gestures anyway. I took public speaking in high school, and enjoyed giving speeches to the point where I was elected as class representative, but still couldn't talk very well informally.
Nowadays, that's pretty difficult for me.

I'm not sure I answered your question... except that, I don't really know. :)

Gremlin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Apr 2008, 6:50 am

scumsuckingdouchebag wrote:
I don't understand why these people in the audience are laughing. IMO, they're weirdos.

In my experience, people on average will giggle or even cackle in reaction to anything...uncomfortable. Some things are funny [the bit about the theistic clubs having to go out and look for new members got me to smirk], so people laugh at them as expected; other things are perplexing, for whatever reason, so people laugh at them through lingering atavistic instinct: lower primates bear their teeth at threats; higher ones, like humans, have ameliorated to laughter.

Or, as Alex explained: they thought it was funny. Which I suppose is about the same as comparing I climbed the mountain because it was there to I climbed it because my extinct ancestors climbed things and I retain an unexplainable instinct to get to the top of trees and mountains and--look, it was there, okay? I don't know why I do these things. Lawl.

Happyhelen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2008, 11:29 am

I know tow people with asperger syndrome who did a talk at the National Austitic Society I Exist Campaing, which was really brave of them as it can be quite nerve racking talking to a large group of people.

autism
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2008, 3:40 pm

Alex,

Thank you for creating WP & your video was wonderful.