Page 4 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2008, 1:16 pm

Mollymum wrote:
My 5 yo son has moved on from nail biting to chewing his clothes. He seems to be related to anxiety for him.

does he chew on any specific type/parts of clothing?

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Feb 2008, 1:25 pm

My son did this. Still does sometimes. I think it's a kind of stim. I chew on straws. Makes my husband crazy that I do that. He swears I only buy fountain drinks so that I can chew on the straws.

I think he just needed things in his mouth constantly. A pack of gum lasts a whole minute at your house? I'm impressed. We're lucky if it lasts 15 seconds in our house. LOL.

As he's gotten older, he has taken to chewing his nails down to the nubs. Very scary. They bleed he chews them so far down.

PolitePilot
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Feb 2008, 1:52 pm

When I was younger, I used to chew on the ends of my knit blanket which eventually got named "Chewy." My whole family knows of "him." As I got older, I no longer chewed on it, but kept it as a safety blanket. I could not sleep without Chewy for many many years, even into adult hood. I just liked the way the blanekt felt on my body. As I got older I would end up just rubbing profusly along the tattered chewed edges. It provided me with great comfort, until one day I thgohut I was too old to have a blankey anymore and thrwew him away. It was a sad day and I regret it. wish I could have ole' Chewy back!

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 1:56 pm

Quote:
When I was younger, I used to chew on the ends of my knit blanket which eventually got named "Chewy."

I wish I still had mine. Up until age 5 or so, I used to suck on one corner of my favorite blanket. That one corner had turned a greenish-brown color, when it was normally white. I brought that thing everywhere I went.

Never named it though.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 2:35 pm

scumsuckingdouchebag wrote:
Does anyone bite the skin around their fingers or rip their nails off so much that they have a permanent callous around the nail that causes some discomfort and a relatively tight sensation?

ooh ohh...me...me.....(raises mangled hand)

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2008, 2:42 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
Does anyone bite the skin around their fingers or rip their nails off so much that they have a permanent callous around the nail that causes some discomfort and a relatively tight sensation?

ouch!

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2008, 2:46 pm

Does anyone else chew on paper? My wall used to be covered in spat out bits of toilet paper that had given up resisting my teeth.

Despite my age I still find myself doing it, although I'm a bit more hygenic about disposing of it...

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 3:16 pm

I have a pile of finger and toe nails on a night stand next to my bed.

Quote:

Wow. You describe your hand as 'mangled'. 8O

Mine isn't quite that bad, but does have 'callous corners' around each nail! They feel tight, and while I've made an effort to stop chewing on them(I would chew them to relieve the feeling of pressure or dryness), I've recently started again.

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2008, 5:48 pm

Quote:
wet rags and sucking the water out of them

I used to the same thing with towels. I thought I was the only person did that, now I know I'm not :D

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 8:15 pm

no no..my hand isn;t really mangled...I do have ugly hands though

kclark
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2008, 9:49 am

bheid wrote:
Does anyone else chew on paper? My wall used to be covered in spat out bits of toilet paper that had given up resisting my teeth.

Despite my age I still find myself doing it, although I'm a bit more hygenic about disposing of it...

I was known for eating my napkin during dinner. Paper sucker sticks would be consumed after the sucker was. Brown paper bags have a unique taste. (I was actually told to chew on brown paper, as something in it helps stop nose bleeds). I don't really like spiral bound notebooks, because when you tear out pages you get all those little pieces of paper at the edge. I have to pull those off and they inevitably end up in my mouth. I do that during my college classes sometimes. It is hard to resist.

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2008, 10:11 pm

Mum2ASDboy wrote:

OUCH! Hmm must keep an eye on Damo for that. He was biting that bit in between thumb and finger earlier. That is the one stim/trait I really dislike, the biting :x

If you do see him doing it, I'd recomend trying to stop him if you can... This has been a stim of mine for as long as I can remember, my skin surrounding my finger nails is heavily damaged from the biting. I also bite my nails so short that it hurts.

29 Feb 2008, 4:44 am

I chewed on my hair when I was 8 and 9 and stopped at ten because of germs. I don't recall chewing on shirts but I think I chewed on the top of my shirt sometimes. I did different stuff growing up. I still put things in my mouth but I have to be careful because I don't want to wreck it. I wrecked the antenna on my cell phone. I kept chewing on the thing where it goes in and out and I kept taking the antenna in and out and finally it broke off.

Villain
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Feb 2008, 5:05 am

I chewed on my shirt's collars frequently as a child.. Never thought of it as an Aspie-issue before :o

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 1:09 pm

kattoo13 wrote:
Do any of you do this, or any of your kids with AS? My son likes to chew on his sleeves and his shirt collar. Is this just a way to relieve anxiety? Thanks.

Not aspie,but am very tactile seeking,and do this often,clothes end up shredded,am chew the sleeves the most,but will chew anywhere,am also a flesh biter and bite any part that is quickly accessible,especially hands or arms.
For parents whos' children,Auties or Aspies who do this-if don't do already,always buy at least two sets of the same clothing,a problem am have with buying one is the shop stopping selling or change them when going to get another of the same.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!