Page 4 of 17 [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 4:41 pm

Daewoodrow wrote:
I DO hate Neurotypicals. They have made my life miserable.

*SOME* neurotypicals made your life miserable, not all of them. Why hate everyone based on experiences with a few?

Last edited by Mikomi on 13 Apr 2008, 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 4:42 pm

Hmm, get over it.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 4:43 pm

ouinon wrote:
I don't agree with any of the beliefs listed but I understand people who do.

It is an almost inevitable stage of politicisation for many people as they begin to understand how much another, usually majority, group has oppressed them just by blithely being themselves and assuming anyone who is not the same must be inferior in some way/of little account.

Well, at least we're making our progress fast - only 17 years since the first publication of any Asperger's criteria, and we've already advanced to the stage of, "The Man is holding us down, man!"

At this rate, we should have our Martin Luther King any day now... :)

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 4:58 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Well, at least we're making our progress fast - only 17 years since the first publication of any Asperger's criteria, and we've already advanced to the stage of, "The Man is holding us down, man!"

HEY, I ALWAYS knew "The Man [was] holding [me] down, man!"! I just never TRULY knew "why me?"! I'm STILL being held down, but at least NOW I know I am not alone!

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 5:35 pm

NewportBeachDude wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:
Amen. You cannot blame NTs for everything wrong with your life!! The majority of people ARE NT and the vast majority are lovely people. And to be honest, if you were to blame all your problems on me because of who I am (NT in this example), then I'd be a lot less likely to help or try to understand you and more inclined to continue that 'bullying' anyway. It's like them blaming all their problems on you for being autistic - illogical.

I agree with the OP and with anbuend in the breakdown of it; there's too much snobbery on here towards NTs and towards people with different opinions than the norm (on so-called 'conspiracy theories' and on treatments for those who want them). It's tiresome and annoying.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I could not have said this better and I agree with the OP and dig the way Anbuend spells it out.

Overall, there are some really cool parents and Aspies here. But, I was taken aback when I first joined by the minority's snobbery, superiority, attack and hate threads against other people and groups, some of which are in the Autism community. That made no sense to me. But, that's their cross to carry. That's how I see it. It's their life to live, their issue to deal with.

I am raising a kid who lives in an NT world as an Autistic. He will have enough challenges as it is. The last thing he'll need is a chip on his shoulder and an ax to grind. I want him to be able to make it in this life without feeling the need to be superior or discrminatory. If he hates NTs, then he'll be hating his entire family and most of those who love and care for him. Plus, I don't see people who feel they're superior as "healthy" people. I don't think they're psychologically, socially or emotionally healthy. Whether it's about disability, race, or religious, I've always felt that people who need to feel like they're superior to others carry some kind of complex. I'm raising my kids to be proud and always have their heads up. But, that doesn't mean they have to be snobbish about it.

A disability or lack thereof does not make one human "superior" to another and I feel that attitude gives the Wrong impression to young/teenage Aspies looking to older, adult Aspies on WP for answers.

Amen! And I'm sure with that kind of attitude to look up to, he'll grow up to be a well-rounded, happy, healthy little human! Good luck to you both! :)

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 5:51 pm

Willard wrote:
does no one involved in this thread understand sarcasm?

Aspies usually don't 'get' sarcasm, especially when in written form, unless it's blazingly obvious.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 5:54 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
ouinon wrote:
I don't agree with any of the beliefs listed but I understand people who do.

It is an almost inevitable stage of politicisation for many people as they begin to understand how much another, usually majority, group has oppressed them just by blithely being themselves and assuming anyone who is not the same must be inferior in some way/of little account.

So...When do we finally get minority status?

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2008, 6:56 pm

Mikomi wrote:
Daewoodrow wrote:

*SOME* neurotypicals made your life miserable, not all of them. Why hate everyone based on experiences with a few?

Well, actually I never said I hate all neurotypicals. I spoke in plural, but plural doesn't necessarily indicate "all". Much like saying "I hate fish", despite the fact that you might enjoy the occasional tuna sandwich.

That being said, on reflection of your comment I attempted to remember one neurotypical person who had ever made my life easier, other than in the process of doing their job, and other than my immediate family. I failed to come up with a single one. On the same note however, I failed to come up with a single Autistic person who had ever made my life easier.
Which brings me to my ultimate conclusion. I don't hate neurotypicals, I hate people.
I greet every person under the assumtion that one day they will betray my trust, and i've never been proven wrong.
I'm sorry, but sometimes, there are people who just don't forgive and forget.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 7:01 pm

marshall wrote:
I agree that being a complete a**hole misanthrope isn’t good. I don’t think most of us are like that in person though. At least I try hard not to be.

Now, now. There is a difference between misanthropes and ASD-supremacists.

Four legs good! Two legs bad!

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2008, 7:55 pm

Kaleido wrote:
I am not sure its down to snobbery but more about logic and truth. It might not be true of all aspies but there is a tendency for us to point out things we think are incorrect...

Yeah, but that's just an Aspie trait-- we tend to be insufferable know-it-alls, even when we're wrong. But the Austisnob issue is Aspies assuming they are "better" than NTs.

Daewoodrow wrote:

Nope. Your inability to understand them-- while not your fault-- is what made your life miserable.

Daewoodrow wrote:
Well, actually I never said I hate all neurotypicals.

No, but you give the impression that you have a chip on your shoulder. You just had to reclarify your statements in another thread as well because you came across looking like you were saying they were all morons.

I'm not saying this to attack you, but you really do come across as one of the people we're talking about here.

DeaconBlues wrote:

Well, he got in front of the crowd, threw up, and is now curled in a ball under his bed.

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2008, 8:07 pm

Catalyst wrote:

Daewoodrow wrote:

Nope. Your inability to understand them-- while not your fault-- is what made your life miserable.

Daewoodrow wrote:
Well, actually I never said I hate all neurotypicals.

No, but you give the impression that you have a chip on your shoulder. You just had to reclarify your statements in another thread as well because you came across looking like you were saying they were all morons.

I'm not saying this to attack you, but you really do come across as one of the people we're talking about here.

Listen I appreciate what you're saying, but you're missing the point entirely. I don't pretend not to have a chip on my shoulder, I clearly do. Just not about neurotypicals. I happen to be saying this on a forum about Autism, but this had nothing to do with Asperger's syndrome for me. No good has ever come from other people for me, the fact that most of the world is made up of neurotypicals is an unfortunate ccoincidence. I'm tired of having to work twice as hard and speak twice as often to make up for the stupidity and laziness of other people. It has left me feeling crushed and apathetic at only 19 years of age.

I don't beleive autism makes me better than Neurotypical people, but as I said before, the inane and illogical routines and rituals of Neurotypicals - Morons or otherwise - has been an endless source of struggle for my mind, made me constantly wonder WHY I deal with stupidity every day and get nothing back from it. Maybe hate was the wrong word for it, consider it an outward expression of the rage and frustration I feel for myself. The fact is my life is miserable, and i'm bored of hating myself for it.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 8:46 pm

twoshots wrote:
marshall wrote:
I agree that being a complete a**hole misanthrope isn’t good. I don’t think most of us are like that in person though. At least I try hard not to be.

Now, now. There is a difference between misanthropes and ASD-supremacists.

I think they stem from the same thing. Most misanthropes don't hate all humanity. They merely hate what they perceive as "the vast majority". For us aspies, NT's happen to be the majority.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 9:15 pm

Willard wrote:

I understand sarcasm well enough to know when a person isn't being sarcastic. Also, I can tell when someone is trying to make light of something they said by claiming it was sarcasm when it was most surely not sarcasm.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 9:32 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Willard wrote:

I understand sarcasm well enough to know when a person isn't being sarcastic. Also, I can tell when someone is trying to make light of something they said by claiming it was sarcasm when it was most surely not sarcasm.

Ah, you're just being sarcastic. :wink:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 9:35 pm

Quote:
Ah, you're just being sarcastic. :wink:

No, I'm not. You're somne kinda smarta$$.

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2008, 9:39 pm

Just so everyone knows... Daewoodrow and I have been going back and forth on this in both this thread and the "How to explain autism to NT dummies" thread.

And just so Daewoodrow knows-- I'm not "attacking" you, man. I'm pointing out what you are doing wrong.

Daewoodrow wrote:
Listen I appreciate what you're saying, but you're missing the point entirely.

Actually, I understand what you're saying. I just don't agree. Just so you know, it seems to be a common thing among aspies to assume that the person who doesn't agree with you isn't listening.

Daewoodrow wrote:
I don't pretend not to have a chip on my shoulder, I clearly do. Just not about neurotypicals. I happen to be saying this on a forum about Autism, but this had nothing to do with Asperger's syndrome for me.

ACtually, I completely disagree with you on this. Everything you're describing is all about AS, even if you're not aware of it. The good news for you-- that I didn't have at your age-- is that now you have some idea of what is wrong.

The fact that you can admit that you have a chip on your shoulder is a good thing. Now, take that fact, and the knowledge of your autism, put them together, and you might be able to see how the two things combined are making your life difficult.

Daewoodrow wrote:
I'm tired of having to work twice as hard and speak twice as often to make up for the stupidity and laziness of other people. It has left me feeling crushed and apathetic at only 19 years of age

You need to wake up and smell the toast burning. There is no gentle way to put this, but there is something wrong with you, not them. You have a neurological condition that is making your life difficult, and if you don't take off your pity party dress you are just going to be sad and bitter. You will be convinced that it's everyone else's fault, because they're stupid and lazy, even though most people have NO PROBLEMS with the things that are making your life hell.

The very way you express yourself is getting you into trouble. For example, when you said:

Daewoodrow wrote:

You expressed two things:

1) A hatred of Neurotypicals, with no qualification.

2) A blame of Neurotypicals because they don't accomodate your differences/

Then you turned around and said....

Daewoodrow wrote:
Well, actually I never said I hate all neurotypicals. I spoke in plural, but plural doesn't necessarily indicate "all".

Well, I got news for you. If you say you hate black people, it doesn't make it okay if you then say that there are some black people you like. And it wasn't out of line for anyone to point this out. You expected other people to fully understand your meaning regardless of the fact that what you said heavily implied what you were kvetching about being accused of saying.

Similarly, in the other thread, you made a lot of disparaging comments about NTs, including:

Daewoodrow wrote:
They always forget five minutes later, when they spot something shiny.

Which is a pretty insulting thing to say, particularly when it is more true of us than them. And then when somebody called you on it, you said:

Daewoodrow wrote:
relax. I never implied Neurotypicals are (all) stupid.

Actually, you made a lot of general statements, which implied that very thing. And again, it wasn't out of line for them to point this out. And when you say "relax" it comes across to some people as "I don't need to be held responsible for what I say."

Your expectation is that people will respond and react to what you intended to communicate...but that isn't reasonable when what you actually say gives another impression. Again, this is very aspie of you, but... it's your problem, not theirs.