How Many People Here Are actually Autistic or have Aspergers

Page 4 of 26 [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next

Alisscious
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2008, 8:41 pm

I have had that thought! I have found several posts, that seem like mining expeditions. I just answer them with as much of myself as myself will have me answer with. HA! Because I know they see. And if I can help. I will. Everyone deserves the best chance they can get. In relation to many things.

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2008, 8:43 pm

I was diagnosed with Aspergers by the head of Psychiatry for the city.

08 Dec 2008, 8:44 pm

Juggernaut wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
I could be misdiagnosed and it was better to tell my mother "Your daughter is on the autism spectrum and Aspergers is the closest match I can come to for a diagnoses" than telling her "Your daughter is not on the spectrum and she is just a selfish brat who doesn't care about other people or really think about their feelings and she wants everything her way or else she won't be calm, and she is just a smart ass and is stupid." :roll:

But don't you know? That's all autism is, selfish brats who don't care about other people and want everything their own way! Well, at least that is what idiots like dennis leary or michael savage say. grr.

I was being sarcastic. I get sick of the "You don't have AS" crap. So that is what I say now to those people.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 8:44 pm

Don't ever disclose your real identity and never never give out your real name unless it's some strange cyber name/identity thingy you use to hide behind since you're embarassed by being a little strange.
They're out to get us for sure.

AC
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Dec 2008, 8:46 pm

It depends on how you define autism, doesn't it? Psychologists still argue among themselves about what autism and Aspergers are, so I think we're free to define it broadly.

The 'traditional sense of the word' (assuming you mean how the media approach it) is what we need to get away from. When the public thinks that an autistic person is someone who is speechless and totally socially incompetent, you can understand why there is this general acceptance (not here) of the 'War on Autism', of the need to eliminate it.

The chief characteristic of autism, according to some researchers is a 'profound sense of aloneness'. You can produce a long list of writers, artists and scientists who were autistic according to that criteria.

I've never been diagnosed. I've never been diagnosed with social phobia, introversion, or selective mutism either, but i've experienced all of them throughout my life.

AC

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 8:47 pm

garyww wrote:
Weirdo's are the best as far as I'm concerned. I've personally never cared for the stupid official classifications and have always thought we should have our own.

Well, I would not consider the people here to be a collection of "weidos". But I guess that's the kind of word that has ambiguous meaning depending on who uses it.

I doubt the government is monitoring this site pursuant to a program collecting date about AS individuals. That would involve a level of coherence and foresight that I think our government has lacked for a few years. They probably mine data for a variety of purposes, but probably not for logging us "weidos".

I do believe that the government has algorithms running searches for certain word combinations, names and phrases against the Google databases, and to the extent that this site is spidered by Google, that would include the contents of this site, too.

legendoftheselkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2008, 8:47 pm

The beauty of this site is that anyone can come here and say anything they want- unless it its harmful or insulting to others- and not be judged. Anyway, isn't it somewhere in the rules that the site is open to relatives and friends of people on the spectrum, as well as advocates of people with Aspergers and autism?

The trouble with being an etymologist is that people keep bringing you bugs to look at.

Last edited by legendoftheselkie on 08 Dec 2008, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 8:49 pm

I-DAR topic

Just remember, everyone, those on the internet may not be exactly as shown.

A reminder to the wise, and not so wise. :x

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

garyww wrote:
Don't ever disclose your real identity and never never give out your real name unless it's some strange cyber name/identity thingy you use to hide behind since you're embarassed by being a little strange.
They're out to get us for sure.

Are you serious?

Edited to add: if this is what you believe why are you inviting people to announce they have AS here? Wouldn't that just help them ID us by IP logging the posters' connections?

Last edited by ephemerella on 08 Dec 2008, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legendoftheselkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I could be misdiagnosed and it was better to tell my mother "Your daughter is on the autism spectrum and Aspergers is the closest match I can come to for a diagnoses" than telling her "Your daughter is not on the spectrum and she is just a selfish brat who doesn't care about other people or really think about their feelings and she wants everything her way or else she won't be calm, and she is just a smart ass and is stupid." :roll:

When I was a kid only the second diagnosis was available. Thankfully, my mother knew better- how she survived my childhood is beyond me!

The trouble with being an etymologist is that people keep bringing you bugs to look at.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 8:51 pm

No I'm not serious and I think you take things to seriously.

Alisscious
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2008, 8:52 pm

Omg! You are so silly, they are not out to get us. Strange change little ways without delays. You tester! HA. That was funny. Just someone, is watching and learning. That is all. And since I am watching and learning. Why must it be assumed that I am a psychotic episode. I am not, so neither are they!.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 8:55 pm

You are greatly mistaken if you don't think the government isn't interested in people with different perceptions. But then again I'm just paranoid.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 8:55 pm

I self-diagnosed. I would never have suspected AS, not even from the DSM-IV criteria, nor the fact that all the available online tests point to AS/HFA. It was the "other" autistic traits (stimming, perseveration, SID) that clinched it for me, especially after finding WP. It was like looking into a mirror at myself, both in the present and the past.

I also have a "half-professional" diagnosis from a tenured university psychology professor. But she doesn't practice clinically, so no full cigar, probably for legal reasons (I'm in the U.S.--home to too many lawyers).

But when her advice to me was to find an AS support group immediately, I knew that I wasn't wrong.

It's made such a positive difference in my life to know, at long last, why I've always been different.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 8:58 pm

'different 'people are dangerous to the ideals of the 'normal' masses and have always been so.

Alisscious
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2008, 8:59 pm

different people uphold the greatest endeavors in all things pertinent to survival for the human race! It is beautiful and awesome. Not weird or paranoid. And you know that.