Page 4 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

millie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 12:24 am

yes. unless i mean it.
interestingly, my years on antidepressants actually quelled my aversion to writing the word "love" on cards etc.

Now that I am SSRI free again, i have reverted to my former statement. I only write it when i mean it. and when i mean it, i do mean it.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 12:56 am

I'm a bit in the middle here. I have no problem writing it to my girlfriend, though I don't like saying it. And beyond that, I don't like saying it to anyone. In fact, I really don't understand the feeling of love towards blood relatives. I know it sounds weird, but I don't.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 6:47 am

I never do. I always put "to" instead of "dear" as well.

y es como un semestre"

millie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 6:57 am

Quote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:
I'm a bit in the middle here. I have no problem writing it to my girlfriend, though I don't like saying it. And beyond that, I don't like saying it to anyone. In fact, I really don't understand the feeling of love towards blood relatives. I know it sounds weird, but I don't.

Doctor82 i must post in reply because for once i agree with you! :lol:
i cannot quite work out the blood relative "love" expectation either.

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Mar 2009, 7:08 am

Yes, definitely. I'm never sure for what situations it should be written. It just feels...wrong either way. Like I'm lying to them.

chasingthesun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2009, 7:16 am

yvonnecs wrote:
Do you?
I do. I also can't stand saying it. I feel wildly weird and uncomfortable when I do, or if I write Love, myname and then the other person doesn't sign off the same.

I also have a thing where some names are REALLY hard for me to say out loud. I have no idea why. Am I a freak alone or are you a freak too?

YES to both! I can get so worked up about it that I have to actually take time and breathe and calm myself down so I can speak or sign the card.

I go out of my way to not say certain people's names and it can become really difficult/awkward sometimes. Very embarrassing.

sbwilson
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Mar 2009, 10:10 am

I exchange "Always" for "Love".... seems to work ok.

Always,

Sue ;)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 10:11 am

I admit it. I am one of the ones who has trouble understanding why people like cards so much, lol. I think about this a lot. Christmas was a few months back and I was perplexed yet again, the annual perplexion. It's nice and thoughtful of people to send them but the cards themselves seem meaningless and mediocre to me.
Writing love on a card? It's not an issue for me. The card itself is the issue.
I don't think you are a freak, btw.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 10:48 am

I had and issues with writting 'love' on cards or letters until recently. It was just always one of those things that seemed unnatural to me and in most cases very insincere. It was only ever To --- , From Kim.

I do write 'love' on cards now to people I actually have some fondness for. I don't need to actually love them, but at least like them and have some sort of comfortable relationship with them. Having said that, I still have no idea what to write on a card besides that. Alot of people elaborate their well wishes on Birthday cards and whatnot, but I'm always clueless about what to put down.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

chasingthesun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2009, 12:28 pm

nothingunusual wrote:
Having said that, I still have no idea what to write on a card besides that. Alot of people elaborate their well wishes on Birthday cards and whatnot, but I'm always clueless about what to put down.

Ditto. At my job we write cards for each person's birthday and pass them around so everyone can sign their name, but everyone always writes a little note. I can't stand it! I'm always sitting there with the damn card for ages trying to figure out another way to say "happy birthday."

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 12:43 pm

chasingthesun wrote:
nothingunusual wrote:
Having said that, I still have no idea what to write on a card besides that. Alot of people elaborate their well wishes on Birthday cards and whatnot, but I'm always clueless about what to put down.

Ditto. At my job we write cards for each person's birthday and pass them around so everyone can sign their name, but everyone always writes a little note. I can't stand it! I'm always sitting there with the damn card for ages trying to figure out another way to say "happy birthday."

I know your pain.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 1:01 pm

I don't mind writing love on anything for the right people, usually the people I end phone conversations with "love ya." I.e. Husband, kids, my mom, my sister, my nephews, and certain friends who have become family through out the years.

Now for people I do like but not in the love fashion, I usually say, "God Bless."

People I don't like at all and am forced to sign the stupid card at work, I just put my name down in a way that nobody can read it.

If it's something like myspace or facebook where it's not a place to say, "love my name," then I go with "be easy" or something like that. That one changes when I hear one I like and can start using. Before "be easy" I always did "holla."

I do hate writing on the cards beyond what the card already says. I liked it when I was a kid, but as an adult reading the crap I wrote as a kid that got me teary eyed back then, oh it's humiliating. So I think that's why. Now I get writer's block everytime. Christmas cards is one thing to just sign your family's name onto, but something like a Thank You Card needs an actual message you wrote personalized to the person you wrote it to. It could take me hours before I finally just decide, oh hell with it, "Thank you, michelle."

I don't get Christmas cards so much. It reminds me of Valentine's Day cards with the box at school. Then you always find that person trying to see how many you got and wants to brag about how many they got, for V day and Christmas. And you know for both that when you do get one, all it is is a copy out of a box of cards all signed the same way and placed in envelopes where someone probably only put your name down because they had extras. It's not even personal like card sending is supposed to be. But Thank You cards I'm all for because when someone does give you something, they do kinda appreciate any form of gratitude. I just don't send them out often because I forget or don't have the time. I know, to quote the famous Bugs Bunny, "Ain't I a stinker?"

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 1:02 pm

I can write love if it's in the context of a relationship. I cannot write it to family. I've only just managed to start giving them cards saying To ___, From ___, which is a big step for me.

Gwen1953
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2009, 1:06 pm

I used to find this very difficult too and with a boyfriend I had in my teens, I would call him anything except his proper name (which sounds laughable, I know. Same with writing 'love' too. So this website has come up with yet another thing I can identify with. It's such a relief.

unreal3x
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Mar 2009, 11:27 pm

Its very awkward writing love to people on letters. I am not sure if its because I grew up not saying it, or if its do to its usage / meaning.

I don't like writing love nor do I like saying it. I grew up in various living situations my mom and different boyfriends and then eventual stepdad. My mom didn't always have it all together lets just say, and we never really had the sort of relationship where we would say I love you to each other, so since I didn't grow up saying it, it is very difficult to say it to anyone else these days. My ex-girlfriend said she'd have to "teach" me to say it to her.

Also I can call friends by their names, but not usually directly to them to address them. As for my parents, I don't call them anything. I don't call her mom, because she always told me to call her "mommy" in front of my little brothers so they could learn. And I can't call her by her name, because she is my mom. As for my stepdad, he is a good father figure, but I never got to calling him dad, but it also makes me feel bad if I call him by his name, so I just don't know what to call any of them. So I just say "Hey(its a pronoun!), come here" or some thing like that.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 5:14 am

I usually just write 'from' rather than love from. When I did, like for a friend or something, I wrote 'love (in a platonic way) from'! Everyone thinks that is hilarious.