Is anyone else sick of the anti-NT bias?

Page 4 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 1:11 pm

BlackjackGabbiani wrote:
(not talking specifically about this site, just in general)

NTs aren't inherently bad, people! Just because they don't have any experience with something does NOT make them evil or ignorant, it just means they don't *KNOW*. Instead of lumping all of them into a single category just because of a few bad apples, try telling them the truth--the vast majority of them WILL LEARN. But no one's going to learn anything if we see them as the enemy.

And you know, Aspies can be just as oppressive as anyone. We're not inherently blameless because we're all individuals.

For that matter, "neurotypical" always struck me as a horrid phrase. Nobody is "typical" because such a thing doesn't exist in individuals. Even if someone isn't autistic, there's still a wide variety of other conditions...or maybe they collect porcelain cats. That's not typical and some people would see them as crazy for it.

My point is that if you're sick of how "normals" handle the world, do something about it--starting with stopping lumping all nonautistics together as some monolithic force.

Until NTs decide to put asside their own prejudice towards us and treat us as human beings , they will continue to face bias against them from us.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 1:17 pm

Haliphron wrote:
Until NTs decide to put asside their own prejudice towards us and treat us as human beings , they will continue to face bias against them from us.

Of course, because two wrongs make a right :roll:

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 1:21 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
Haliphron wrote:

"Two wrongs dont make a right is very lovely idea, but the fact remains that is DOESNT WORK. The Golden Rule requires that everyone have empathy for everyone else, which is obviously Not the case. People, NTs included, are selfish and self-interested. If you are serious about getting NTs to treat us better and suppress their prejudicial impulses you have to give them an INCENTIVE to do so.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 1:21 pm

Haliphron wrote:

Who is "us"?
Certainly you don't mean to speak for every single member of the autistic community, do you?
Because I don't want you speaking for me.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 1:24 pm

ephemerella wrote:
But all the language used to describe AS traits are negative. "Obsessive, narrow fixations" and so on.

Rule: you are always supposed to use negative, clinical language to discuss AS traits and positive, admiring language to refer to NT traits.

I think that's a very interesting statement, because I don't usually read "obsessive" as carrying negative connotations, although "narrow fixations" perhaps, for the narrowness not the fixatedness. (Fixation?) I tend to read everything as I would write it not as someone wrote it, which is a pretty serious failing of mine. :( Sorry. :(

The year is still young.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 1:25 pm

Haliphron wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:
Haliphron wrote:

"Two wrongs dont make a right is very lovely idea, but the fact remains that is DOESNT WORK. The Golden Rule requires that everyone have empathy for everyone else, which is obviously Not the case. People, NTs included, are selfish and self-interested. If you are serious about getting NTs to treat us better and suppress their prejudicial impulses you have to give them an INCENTIVE to do so.

Uh yeah you just proved my point. Thanks :)
Treating them nicely is certainly an incentive for them to treat us better.

Also 'two wrongs don't make a right' is not exactly paralell with the Golden Rule. Similar ideas but really what it means is that treating someone badly who treated you badly first isn't going to help the situation at all. And yes it does 'work' because it's very true.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 1:29 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
Haliphron wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:
Haliphron wrote:

Also 'two wrongs don't make a right' is not exactly paralell with the Golden Rule. Similar ideas but really what it means is that treating someone badly who treated you badly first isn't going to help the situation at all. And yes it does 'work' because it's very true.

Bullying is one of the strongest counterexamples to the principle of "two wrongs dont make a right". If you DONT retaliate against bullies, they will continue to bully you because they have an impulse to do so, and lack empathy for you. If you want people to treat you well, you have to earn their RESPECT first, Not just their sympathy. Ive learned this both from experience as well as ratiocination.

As for the 1st paragraph goes, Ive tried that before and guess what? IT DONT WORK!!

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 1:34 pm

Haliphron wrote:
As for the 1st paragraph goes, Ive tried that before and guess what? IT DONT WORK!!

You manage to make everything right all the time by acting wrongly (eg. two wrongs make a right)? Wow that's awesome! You'll have to show me how you do it.

You may be right about bullies but I don't equate 'standing up for yourself' with 'putting others down'.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 1:46 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
ephemerella wrote:
But all the language used to describe AS traits are negative. "Obsessive, narrow fixations" and so on.

Rule: you are always supposed to use negative, clinical language to discuss AS traits and positive, admiring language to refer to NT traits.

I think that's a very interesting statement, because I don't usually read "obsessive" as carrying negative connotations, although "narrow fixations" perhaps, for the narrowness not the fixatedness. (Fixation?) I tend to read everything as I would write it not as someone wrote it, which is a pretty serious failing of mine. :( Sorry. :(

This is interesting to me too because I don't find the statement "Obsessive, narrow fixations" to be negative either. I do have narrow fixations and obsessions. How does that carry a negative connotation?

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 1:52 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
the same happens on another forum am use [a mixed disability one],some of the physically disabled users treat able bodied people as scum,and they say AB people do not know anything about disability,about disablism,being treated badly for their difficulties etc when a very large part of that community is AB and disabled,they treat anyone with a blue badge who looks or is AB [but genuinely needs it just as much as them,if not more] as scroungers and 'taking away all the disabled parking spaces from those who need them',as well as stating ABs [whether disabled or not] are there to make life as difficult for disabled people as possible,it is that vs thing again.
its not just NT vs not NT,it happens between all opposite groups,because they're opposites and dont experience life exactly the same as each other,that being the reason used by some to treat the opposite as a different species.

In terms of having divisions in a mixed-disability group, I think it may be okay to just let people speak out and then stuff probably blows over when they get it out or work out whatever they are framing.

A few weeks ago, someone (a lawyer who was a political activist) told me I was the best writer that had ever blogged on a certain newspaper's forums. Did that interest me? No. I was only doing it to work out how to say some things, how to frame a certain class of ideas and arguments that seemed important and compelling to me at the time. Do I go there anymore now that I'm done? No. Do I care that I got a reputation and respect on that national paper's forum? That reporters were picking up my ideas and writing articles with them? No. That kind of community sense doesn't mean anything to me.

I don't know if that would apply to many AS people, but it seems to me that the deep divisions that arose in the other mixed-disability forum may be due to people with social instincts being more permanent fixtures and trying to establish persistent patterns of social structure. Something that I question whether many AS people are interested in. Who has the time and social instinct to intentionally create and maintain divisiveness? You would have to have an agenda, too.

How many AS people are permanent fixtures in a community? Any day might be my last on this board. I tend to do things intensively and then stop suddenly as my interest moves elsewhere.

It seems to me that stuff that happens here comes and goes, like the wandering attention of ADHD child... that in this forum people can let people talk as well as they can about certain subjects, and expect that the long-term culture will be relatively unaffected.

Magliabechi
Toucan
Toucan

11 Dec 2008, 2:04 pm

BlackjackGabbiani wrote:
For that matter, "neurotypical" always struck me as a horrid phrase.

I find it to be a useful neutral phrase that refers to the merely normative person without implying that their condition is inherently good or bad.

Magliabechi.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 2:05 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:
ephemerella wrote:

This is interesting to me too because I don't find the statement "Obsessive, narrow fixations" to be negative either. I do have narrow fixations and obsessions. How does that carry a negative connotation?

I've internalized that word as a norm, too. But someone questioned me the other day for using the phrase "social obsessions of NTs" so that's when I realized that someone would draw negative inferences from using the same kind of clinical language with NT behavior as we tend to use for AS traits.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 2:10 pm

ephemerella wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:
ephemerella wrote:

I've internalized that word as a norm, too. But someone questioned me the other day for using the phrase "social obsessions of NTs" so that's when I realized that someone would draw negative inferences from using the same kind of clinical language with NT behavior as we tend to use for AS traits.

I spuppose that makes sense. I don't think I've removed the negative connotation because I was influenced by anything, though. I've only started to think that I have AS in the last 3 months or so. My feelings on the matter are that many people find statements of truth to be offensive. I recognize that I can be very obsessive, therefore it is a truth and is not offensive. But I can seethat other people might find the word 'obsessive' to be non-politically correct or some crap. If the shoe fits....
:shrug:

Last edited by mitharatowen on 11 Dec 2008, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 2:11 pm

Haliphron wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:
Haliphron wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:
Haliphron wrote:

Bullying is one of the strongest counterexamples to the principle of "two wrongs dont make a right". If you DONT retaliate against bullies, they will continue to bully you because they have an impulse to do so, and lack empathy for you. If you want people to treat you well, you have to earn their RESPECT first, Not just their sympathy. Ive learned this both from experience as well as ratiocination.

The problem is that you have to fight back hard when the person really is a real bully. Because appeasement doesn't work with them. If you're not good at telling the difference between who's a bully and who's just stepped on your toes unintentionally, then you can be too defensive and people will think you're an as*hole.

So like Kung Fu masters who teach how to master fighting so you never have to actually fight, I'm starting to think it's best to learn how to eviscerate bullies, but not to actually ever behave like them. If that makes sense. Kind of like, it's necessary to have the ability to attack someone you perceive to be a bully (but it's not good to do it).

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 2:15 pm

^ I agree. I don't believe that reciprocating bullying behavior is the best way to earn respect. But you do need to stand up for yourself. There's a fine line. I'm not good with fine lines. I generally just ignore those who tease and such things. They can't affect you unless you let them. Physical abuse is a bit different but at least there are usually authorities to take care of such things.

11 Dec 2008, 2:27 pm

Yes I am sick of it. It's hate speech. If it's hate speech to bad mouth autism, then it should be hate speech to bad mouth NTs.

We complain about people saying bad things about autism but yet we turn around and do it about NT. This is why some people say we act superior and think we think we are superior, this behavior.

Someone makes that autism hate site about us, we complain about it and keep reporting it because the punk was raped and wants to spread that awareness even though she is aware not all auties are rapists. But we turn around and act like all NTs are bad even though we are aware not all of them are bad but we still act like they are because we do the hate talk about them. See the irony here?