Fictional Characters With Undiagnosed Aspergers or Autism

Page 31 of 60 [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 60  Next

jigai
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2011, 12:36 am

Most of the young men in Haruki Murakamis books

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 3:38 am

ooohprettycolors wrote:

The young nerdy looking guy on Criminal Minds might too. (Sorry I don't remember the names of fictional characters.) He's savant-ish and pedantic.

Dr. Spencer Reid played by Matthew Gray Gubler.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 4:00 am

Just dawned on me that all of my favorite fictional characters are Aspies. 8O

:lol:

Doesn't matter.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 4:07 am

Delirium wrote:
If you diagnose a comedic character with Asperger's/bipolar/etc., you have no sense of humor and/or are taking it way too seriously.

It's the purpose of this topic.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 4:41 am

Popsicle wrote:
Just dawned on me that all of my favorite fictional characters are Aspies. 8O

:lol:

Doesn't matter.

I was just about to say this.

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 4:50 am

Sorry if I state characters already mentioned, but I really can not afford to sit here all night reading 31 pages of responses.

The following are majorly personal speculations. Any disagreement statements will be welcomed. :)

-Lisa Simpson, the Simpsons.
-Rachel Berry, Glee.
-Cody Martin, the Suite Life of Zack and Cody and the Suite Life on Deck.
-Justin Russo, Wizards of Waverly Place.
-Artie Abrams, Glee.
-Ferb Flecture, Phineas and Ferb.
-Mr.Spock, Star Trek.
-Data, Star Trek
-Brick, Parenthood.
-Sheldon Cooper, the Big Band Theory (perhaps he has officially been diagnosed?)
-Leigh Goodwin, SOS Titanic (1979 Film)
-Parker, As the Bell Rings

I will probably submit this comment only to recall several dozen more, but these are the only recallable characters presently.

Maladroit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jan 2011, 3:44 pm

Helixstein wrote:
Sorry if I state characters already mentioned, but I really can not afford to sit here all night reading 31 pages of responses.

The following are majorly personal speculations. Any disagreement statements will be welcomed. :)

-Lisa Simpson, the Simpsons.
-Rachel Berry, Glee.
-Cody Martin, the Suite Life of Zack and Cody and the Suite Life on Deck.
-Justin Russo, Wizards of Waverly Place.
-Artie Abrams, Glee.
-Ferb Flecture, Phineas and Ferb.
-Mr.Spock, Star Trek.
-Data, Star Trek
-Brick, Parenthood.
-Sheldon Cooper, the Big Band Theory (perhaps he has officially been diagnosed?)
-Leigh Goodwin, SOS Titanic (1979 Film)
-Parker, As the Bell Rings

I will probably submit this comment only to recall several dozen more, but these are the only recallable characters presently.

Lisa- agreed.
Rachel from Glee.... my personal opinion, she'd Aspies a bad name!
Cody and Justin.... erm, I don't watch Disney shows
Artie from Glee... nah.
Ferb- Haha YES!
Spock- No no no.... he's a Vulcan, that's why he is how he is!
Data- Robots/androids can't have human conditions
Brick- never heard of him.her
Sheldon- Definitely
Leigh- Never heard of her
Parker- Never heard of him

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 11:22 am

Mr Purutu the Guidance Councelor from The Emperor's New School

He has a stereotypical monotone voice, wears glasses and has a literal style of communication.
He collects windchimes and polishes them obsessively.
Windchimes fill his office.
He calls his windchimes his "friends" and names them.

He talks about his windchimes whenever students ask for his advice.
He believes that all problems can be solved by listening to windchimes.

He has a comical emotional "flatness" that contrasts sharply with the emotional outpourings of the other characters. He is calm and still: the opposite of Kuzco's flambouyant and hyperactive personality.

He doesn't mean to come across as insensitive, distant and self absorbed, but the other characters seem to interpret him that way.

He is good at giving out straight forward practical advice.
Perhaps he thought that's what being a counselor was about.
His advice is sensible and to the point.
He encourages people to solve problems using their own initiative.
He isn't a "shoulder to cry on", but he is basically friendly and seems to care about others in his own way.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 6:15 am

John Kintner, the writer from whom Morton Rainey 'borrowed' a short story once.
Could not speak very coherently and could only express himself through writing. Though he is only menioned in passing, the idea the reader gets is of a quiet and withdrawn man who had no idea how much talent he got and didn't pursue a writer's carreer - lack of motivation or drive, etc. Possibly went to the army so that other people could take charge instead of him.

Shul'gin, the Russian literature teacher in Paustovsky's 'Dalekie gody' (Years long ago). For all I know, the book is supposed to be an autobiography so the man must have beally existed. Anyway, he is decribed as 'quiet and harmless', a teacher who didn't care much about his subject and his students's grades. When confronted with a pushy or over-emotional student, Shul'gin would change their grade to a higher one so as to get rid of interaction or emotion that was uncalled for. He could not stand too much emotion in real life as he got all he needed in his books.
Shul'gin had an specific character trait - he could not stand listening to nonsense, that is, any kind of illogical or ungrammatical statement. Any such thing would set him off and the resulting state is very similar to a meltdown. He would stim intensively, tear down books and other stuff and could not speak apart from issuing an order that the student who caused this leave the room immediately. This peculiarity was well known to everyone in the school and was even used once by a student to put an end to a class.

When I first read this, I was very surprised to discover that there were other people - apart from me - who could be very upset by written or spoken nonsense. I usually try to withdraw but if I can't, might rage and shout at the guilty party or throw something at them. Sounds rather autusic to me and I have never seen this trait in a NT anyway.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 7:06 am

Juggernaut wrote:
Mr. Bean---absolutely aspergers--everything he does is completely against convention. I can relate to him.

Kramer---not as much as Mr. Bean, but he's still eccentric

Spock---pure logic

Spock was raised on Vulcan, not Earth. He was a Vulcan NT.

ruveyn

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 8:16 am

ruveyn wrote:
Spock was raised on Vulcan, not Earth. He was a Vulcan NT.

Maybe not. He had problems socializing as a child on Vulcan, he didn't fit their cultural norms. He didn't really seem to care for being around other Vulcans.

I'm only about halfway through this thread, so I may be repeating some things that have already been mentioned:

Javert (Les Miserables) - Obsessed with order, probably doesn't have any friends, rigid mindset
Lilo (Lilo and Stitch) - Social outcast, anger management problems, always says the wrong thing, doesn't know how to fit in, strange interests

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 8:57 am

Maya, Dr. Dolittle's daughter in Eddie Murphy's Doctor Dolittle (1998).

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 10:12 am

KBABZ wrote:
Chris from The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. Maybe. Thing is, it's blatantly obvious he's on the spectrum, but AS/Autism isn't meantioned even once during the story, so whether or not he's been formally diagnosed is debatable. However, he was written intentionally to have these traits.

It states that he has Asperger's Syndrome on the blurb on my copy, but I read somewhere that Mark Haddon, the author, regretted saying that Christopher had Asperger's and wanted people to come to their own conclusion.
I personally think Chris seems a bit too severe for Asperger's, he seems like a 'worst case scenario' for it. It's a great book though.

ADD_Teen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2011, 7:23 am

rabbitears wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Chris from The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. Maybe. Thing is, it's blatantly obvious he's on the spectrum, but AS/Autism isn't meantioned even once during the story, so whether or not he's been formally diagnosed is debatable. However, he was written intentionally to have these traits.

It states that he has Asperger's Syndrome on the blurb on my copy, but I read somewhere that Mark Haddon, the author, regretted saying that Christopher had Asperger's and wanted people to come to their own conclusion.
I personally think Chris seems a bit too severe for Asperger's, he seems like a 'worst case scenario' for it. It's a great book though.

Isn't he HFA? O_O"
AS kids don't go to Special Education last time I checked....

Obsession: Neuro-psychology, my boyfriend, neurology (stopped denying it).
Illy, I love you. :heart:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 11:58 am

ADD_Teen wrote:
rabbitears wrote:
KBABZ wrote:

Isn't he HFA? O_O"
AS kids don't go to Special Education last time I checked....

As a kid, I did. Then again back in those benighted days, they didn't even know what the hell Asperger's was in his country back then.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 1:30 pm

It does definately state that it's Asperger's on some copies, but I think the author changed his mind later on so I think the later prints don't state what it is he has exactly. He does seem quite extreme for just AS though.