Self diagnosed people here don't have aspergers

Page 31 of 41 [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 41  Next

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:04 am

Artkitten wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
BoringAaron wrote:
b9 wrote:
but i realized after a few weeks, that here is a social pecking order here

I had no idea there was a pecking order. But now that I know, I will continue to ignore it.

Same. Only "pecking order" I know of is posters, mods, admins.

Oh I missed that one too. Thinking back over the posts I've read and the few I've responded to, you're right...

well i was not correct in using the term "pecking order" if it relates to unhindered authority.
i just mean there is a social strata, and some people are at the bottom of the rung and some are at the top.

i think the bkghfdk person is near the top and i think that also the kenm person is near the top even though he gets savage replies often.
they have some magical ingredient in their posts which invites replies.

i have no care about where i am positioned in the social strata, and i only state my observation.

it seems to some who have responded to me that i am somehow unhappy about my place in the scheme, but i am not interested at all.
i just state what i see, and if anyone thinks i am unhappy about it, they are anthropomorphizing my being into their own conscience.

i really do not care much about it, but i just see that it is the case.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:09 am

elderwanda wrote:
b9 wrote:
elderwanda wrote:
And now I'm going to put a :) to represent the fact that I felt kind of good and happy while writing this, because I was writing positive things about a person who I think is nice.

i like you too. you are a very fair person and you do not judge me on things that are unimportant. you make me feel safe,

Thank you for taking the time to post, and to say those things. I kind of feel like I ought to respond more, but I'm not sure what to say, so I'll leave it.

i am relieved that you did not post many words to me because i have little capacity to respond and reciprocate.

when i said you make me feel safe, i was referring to the idea that i feel safer on this site because you seem to agree with me sometimes.
that means that i think not everyone thinks i am an idiot here.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:11 am

I find your posts hard to read TBH^

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:15 am

Janissy wrote:
b9 wrote:
[i do not really use metaphors, but i use concretions of ideation that closely match what i am thinking because i have no other way to communicate complex things i see.
they seem identical to metaphors, but i do not know what metaphors really are other than the dictionary descriptions i have read of metaphors, and any dictionary definition is concrete.

there is a metaphor which i can remember on a show called "days of our lives" (that i never have watched, but often have heard the introduction before i changed the channel) and it goes "like sands through the hourglass...so are the days of our lives"(how can sand be plurified? sand is already plural) .
i can not comprehend the meaning of it and i can not see how an hourglass is relevant to life. but that supposedly is a true metaphor as i was told.

a pseudo metaphor that i may think of is "from the original tiny roots of my now giant tree of existence, did the trunk of my being sprout, and my slender sapling stem of youth had to grow hither about the obstacles it encountered, and it fattened and solidified into the gnarled and twisted core of the pillar that bears the weight of all i am today. experience may only prune my leaves and twigs , but my evolutionary pillar of essence is solid and immutable". (means i am "incurable")

it is not really a metaphor but a way of expressing in few words what i would take forever to describe in a standard way.

You use metaphors constantly. You call this "concretions of ideation that closely match what I am thinking about". That is a definition of a metaphor. Just because you can't understand other peoples' metaphors doesn't mean that the ones you create are pseudo-metaphors. They are as real as anybody else's. Your metaphors are actually better than the ones many professional writers use, which is part of why I always like reading your posts. Just because you use metaphors out of communicative necessity rather than as an aesthetic flourish doesn't make them pseudo-metaphors.

I understand what you are trying to convey pretty easily. Your constant use of metaphors improves my understanding and if you suddenly stopped I might have a much harder time understanding your posts. I think almost entirely in metaphors and talk in person using constant metaphors so that is the sort of communication style I understand best. When I post a reply to you I reflexively use a lot of metaphors myself but then go back and edit the post to remove them so you will understand me. Sometimes I fail to apply this metaphor filter to my posts and wind up confusing you. I do not understand why you are a one way street (metaphor) when it comes to metaphors, but that is just a neurological difference between us.

If I use one of your own metaphors, will you understand me? You once said that autism is like being inside a mirrored bubble. Different people have different degrees of mirroring on their bubble. I have put my hands up to the surface of your bubble so I can peer in and I think I can see you just fine, or at least a persona that comes through in posts. And I think you can see me to a certain extent too. Or maybe I am completely wrong and I don't understand what I see, I just think I do. Maybe this whole paragraph is babble to you and will mean nothing because it has been months since you used that metaphor.

I hope whatever situation that is currently causing you sadness and anxiety resolves itself. Or at least that it becomes less painful with time.

i have to go to sleep now but i will answer you tomorrow.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:17 am

League_Girl wrote:

do you find all my posts hard to read or just posts like the one i just wrote?

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:19 am

There would have to be more criteria than the tendency to invite reply. If someone makes a topic celebrating Jenny McCarthy, they will get a lot of replies. However, very very few people here would have a positive opinion of them.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:27 am

b9 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Pretty much all because of all the metaphors you use and the way you type.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:40 am

League_Girl wrote:
b9 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Pretty much all because of all the metaphors you use and the way you type.

ok then.
just do not read what i say and you will not waste your energy.
my avatar is easy to recognize. it is the bubble headed robot, so just see my avatar and scroll down and do not read what i say.
i wish you well. we do not have to cross paths and be unkind to each other.
good luck to you. i know you are a nice person even if i have nothing in common with you.

i am going too sleep now because it is late.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:43 am

I wasn't being unkind. You asked so I answered.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:51 am

League_Girl wrote:
I wasn't being unkind. You asked so I answered.

i know. so good night. i have not one bad thought in my head about you.
end

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 5:48 am

kfa91 wrote:
I've been here for less than a week and looking around the forum it seems like many people are self diagnosed. They hear about aspergers and think they have it because they are kind of shy and have a hobby they are obsessed with. They take the online test and tell themselves that all their inabilities in life are from aspergers. Self diagnosed should just be undiagnosed. Aspergers is such a complicated disorder that only a doctor can tell you if you have it or not.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 5:57 am

I guess I'm a cat then?

I get what the OP was saying about the typical net-aspie stigma, I encountered it myself when I mentioned my suspicion that I fit the criteria on another board.

"Oh yeah right, you just want people to think you're unique and special and like rainman, whatever."

>.>

Sure, that's why I state with no trace of doubt that I am on the autism spectrum... that makes perfect sense.

<.<

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 10:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
kfa91 wrote:
I've been here for less than a week and looking around the forum it seems like many people are self diagnosed. They hear about aspergers and think they have it because they are kind of shy and have a hobby they are obsessed with. They take the online test and tell themselves that all their inabilities in life are from aspergers. Self diagnosed should just be undiagnosed. Aspergers is such a complicated disorder that only a doctor can tell you if you have it or not.

I'm sorry, but the OP was right. Just because you're socially awkward and are obsessed with something doesn't mean you have Asperger's. It's like saying that someone is a narcissist or sociopath because he/she is an [language]. The definition is so vague that it can apply to anybody, and it's always best to at least get a second opinion from a licensed professional.

I don't even get why some people are upset once they find out that they don't have Asperger's. I have bona fide Asperger's and it sucks. If there was a cure for Asperger's, I would not only take it, but I'd be first in line for it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 11:13 am

I just got accused of not having it. :roll:

Quote:
I don't even get why some people are upset once they find out that they don't have Asperger's. I have bona fide Asperger's and it sucks. If there was a cure for Asperger's, I would not only take it, but I'd be first in line for it.

Because then they are back to square one to finding out what is wrong with them. TBH I wanted to get re evaluated for it thinking I was misdiagnosed and if I didn't have it, I wouldn't care. But I got talked out of it. If I really do have it, then it's very mild or I lack that much self awareness if my husband is correct.

Hyacynth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Feb 2010, 3:23 pm

This goes on and on and I do not see why it matters who is self diagnosed. They have most likely done entirely more research on themselves than the doctor is ever going to do.

Even if they do not have Aspergers per the perfect criteria they have asperger tendencies. It is a spectrum and it is not like they trying to get anything or take anything from anyone else. They are just trying to make sense of their world.

Not everything in medicine is so clear

I have patients that walk just like they have Parkinson's (this is a very debilitating sort of gait and is actually very dangerous) but for some reason the tests are not perfectly conclusive so they diagnosis them with parkinsonism or a parkinsonian gait but not Parkinson's. They still regress in the same manor.

I have patients that appear to have allergies and when they are tested the tests are not within the perfect range. They still have all of the symptoms they still are given allergy medication and it relieves their symptoms but their diagnosis is often allergic type rhinitis.

Doctor's do not have all the right answers they just have the education and often the technology to make a really good guess but it is not always right.

A personal example I have of this is my Grandfather went into the hospital for a quintuple bypass surgery. Before surgery he was a normal independantly functioning person very intelligent. After the surgery he was the same person. Walking around Slowly and painfully and with a little assist but further than expected just after major surgery, making the same highly intelligent jokes I spent extensive time with him over two days and fully assessed his abilities my self I am an OT but not his OT. One of the days I was there he was working with a therapist in his room and was eating at the time. He suddenly turned blue choked (he appeared blue before he made the choking sound) and fell hard back onto his bed thrashing at first but then still. They had to revive him. He was never the same after that. They tested him for everything. Anoxia, stroke, seizure, blood clot. aneurysm etc. Their official diagnosis nothing happened but he never walked again, he was now very simple intelligence wise and bordered on delusional. He now thought I was my mother and did not know who my mother was. He never lived independently again even with extensive therapy, but yet per his chart, his diagnosis from his doctor, nothing happened.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 3:02 am

[/quote]
it's always best to at least get a second opinion from a licensed professional.
I don't even get why some people are upset once they find out that they don't have Asperger's. I have bona fide Asperger's and it sucks. If there was a cure for Asperger's, I would not only take it, but I'd be first in line for it.[/quote]
there are lots of folk in this forum who are trying to weed-out folk who are insufficiently aspie, why can't we all just get along? there is a broad continuum on the x/y axis [the extent of my limited maths] of the AS part of the autism spectrum, both in location and depth of symptoms, so there is room enough for lots of folk to be viewed at a minimum, as having AS charicteristics, it doesn't take a shingle to know if one has a preponderance of the traits or not. a fella with obvious asperger's symptoms would normally do a very thorough study of the syndrome and come to a conclusion within an eyeblink of what a shrink would. being that not everybody can afford high-end health insurance which covers mental health [mine only "pretends" to cover it] should one begrudge such a fella who self-diagnoses him/herself? is a person with a toothache merely malingering 'cause s/he didn't pay a dentist for an "official" diagnosis? [lots of us are poor]

being that the latest shrink-wrapped DSM reportedly has placed AS under the heading of HFA, it sort-of seems to me that the AS label has become somewhat obsolescent in any case, so why shouldn't anybody who feels the need, be able to self-apply the AS label to him/herself, what is the harm? one could always view such folk as having a weight of AS traits [as opposed to the whole shebang] and then both sides could be happy [sort-of]. IOW, it is just a GD'ed word!

"discretion is the better part of valour."