Fictional Characters With Undiagnosed Aspergers or Autism

Page 33 of 60 [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 60  Next

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 3:53 pm

rabbitears wrote:
Also all the Stigs from Top Gear.

Really? Dont even go there.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 7:03 pm

MXH wrote:
rabbitears wrote:
Also all the Stigs from Top Gear.

Really? Dont even go there.

How come?

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 5:44 pm

I've seen Vincent D'Onofrio in Law & Order and I don't think he has Asperger's. Borderline NT, more like.

I recently read Louisa May Allcott's Little Women and Good Wives - at the ripe old age of 35 - and I think spotted at least two Aspies there. Jo, of course, and her sister Beth.
Jo is more typical for a female Aspie, but Beth is harder to spot, I think. The former is a tomboy, and the latter is a girly girl, the one is active-but-odd and the other withdrawing type, but they seem Aspergerish to me alright. The only unifying trait between the two is that they don't seem to get along with peers and don't have any female friends outside the family, and only one - male - friend for both of them, for which neither sister harboured romantic feelings.
Beth was taken away from public school because of 'shyness'. She prefers to be ignored by strangers than having to talk to them - even briefly - and is attracted only by people who are on the border of her society for some reason - the very poor, the sick and the disabled. She is described to be 'very nice' to everyone but that only involves her family, as she shuns contact with any other and I am sure that 'very nice' sums up the unwillingness to be involved in conflicts or complicated emotional affairs. In any case it looks to me more like mirroring than real empathy,
Later in the book Beth contracted an infectious disease and complained only after she carefully checked her symptoms in 'the book' - supposedly she wasn't supposed to be able to read and understand it for some 10 years to come. Very indicative, I'd say.

Oh, and I forgot, both sisters had their special interests which they would gladly practice to exclusion of other activities, if and when given the chance.

There is also a stray Aspie trait in the youngest sister Amy - 'a very literal young lady', as the author describes her,

Last edited by Severus on 11 Jul 2011, 10:02 am, edited 7 times in total.

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 5:45 pm

fresco wrote:
Helena Bonham-Farter's character in Fight Club?

Farter? Where did that come from?

Forever in debt to your priceless advice

NearMe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Sep 2011, 9:02 am

I think L and Near from anime Death Note are aspies....

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 9:16 am

Cale from Titan A.E.
Tails the fox from Sonic X

Wayne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2011, 9:47 am

One very strange case: the Peter F. Hamilton "Temporal Void" series.

The character Troblum is a blatantly textbook case - right down to needing an implant in his head to feed him cues on social protocol in real time (I really really wish I could get one!) - and yet neither the narrator nor any of the characters ever explicitly identify him as Aspie or autistic or anything.

And yet, in the "Pandora's Star" series written earlier and set earlier in the same universe, there is a minor character (Nigel Sheldon's main accountant, whose name escapes me) who is explicitly labeled as "a little autistic".

Not sure whether Hamilton was being cute, trying to imply that everyone in his universe just didn't have a name for spectrum conditions anymore, or what.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 4:36 pm

Mr. Dekker from Torchwood Children of Earth. Preoccupied with his own job, has only one speed in anything and God bless his habitual out-of-place smile.

Actually am reading at tye moment a Russian crime fiction book with at least one Aspie in it and I am frankly mad at the stereotyping going on. You know, a mathematician, working from home but can't earn a penny, would only communicate with his own wife, portrayed as the extreme of rude and arrogant - oh, just give me a break, won't you. Either it is Rain Man or this rubbish.

Though, come to think of it, I haven't finished the book yet (it annoys me so much) so there might be something else. I think that the main plot twist would be that there was an impostor who killed the real man and plays the role to his own liking, substituting a quiet and shy Aspie with a truly abrasive NT. So far it looks very likely.

Later: Nope, turns out they really killed the Aspie, but that was because he was that obnoxious, arrogant, insensitive piece of scum. God, now I am truly revolted at Aspie portrayal in media.

Last edited by Severus on 13 Sep 2011, 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 7:59 pm

Tails the fox from the Sonic the hedgehog series. Well at least in Sonic X. Well if animals can be diagnosed.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 9:32 pm

I'm thinking Senri from the manga +Anima might be an undiagnosed non-verbal Autie.

Thelostcup
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Sep 2011, 10:18 pm

Erio Touwa from the anime Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko seemed very autistic

She hardly speaks, has trouble functioning socially, is intensely obsessed with space and UFOs, spends a good amount of the series wrapping herself tightly in a futon (though it was stated to be a coping mechanism that she developed after getting in an accident), and withdraws from society into her own little world.

JohnnyAspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Sep 2011, 4:59 am

Fenton Stone, Super Sleuth Detective in To Kill a Stone Heart has autism/aspergers and so does the author Mason Dove unlike most authors that write about such things.

It is an awesome book unlike the others and it covers a lot of issues about autism/aspergers in an entertaining way. It is a great adventure detective/crime novel in its own right. It is also written in a way I can read all the way through and not struggle to understand. I believe it is going to be a series of books which will cover all the issues to some extent, can't wait to read them.

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2011, 5:12 am

Frank Spencer.

If he isn't AS nobody is.

Mikes1992
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Oct 2011, 9:13 pm

How about Melvin in as good as it gets? The film is actually about OCD. He has really bad social skills and seems to take things quite litterally and believes everybodys a freak, He has anxiety attacks over change in routine (E.g. he sits at the same table every morning in a diner and gets upset when he can't sit there), Extremely bothered by hygiene and germs (Uses plastic disposable cutlary, instantly chucks a bar of soap away after one use and he doesn't like touching people), he upsets people unintentionally and he's also the best selling novelist in New York. I would say he could pass as an aspie.

I saw this mentioned eirlier but the new doctor in doctor who. He doesn't understand social norms, he's very quirky and clumsy, he gets very deep into his own thoughts where he starts talking and asking questions to him self aloud as if he where asking the people around him then covers there mouth or trys to stop them answering. He also sometimes says social rules aloud as if he where observing the conversation in 3rd person like "this is the part where is say......". He's very intelligent, he is a timelord but I think this is the first time they have had a quirky doctor in doctor who which personally I really like.

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2011, 9:41 pm

mario... all he cares about is that to pink princess and that creepy bowser ;)

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 11:07 pm

I recently watched The Cry of the Owl, based on a novel by one of my favorite writers, Patricia Highsmith. I wasn't expecting much, since filmmakers have a history of urinating all over her books (The Talented Mr. Ripley :eew: :thumbdown:), but it was surprisingly terrific. The main character is never explicitly identified as an Aspie, but he's played by an actor who was diagnosed with Asperger's in real life (Paddy Considine), and it comes across in the movie.