Fictional Characters With Undiagnosed Aspergers or Autism

Page 34 of 60 [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 60  Next

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 7:28 pm

Mikes1992 wrote:
How about Melvin in as good as it gets? The film is actually about OCD. He has really bad social skills and seems to take things quite litterally and believes everybodys a freak, He has anxiety attacks over change in routine (E.g. he sits at the same table every morning in a diner and gets upset when he can't sit there), Extremely bothered by hygiene and germs (Uses plastic disposable cutlary, instantly chucks a bar of soap away after one use and he doesn't like touching people), he upsets people unintentionally and he's also the best selling novelist in New York. I would say he could pass as an aspie.

I saw this mentioned eirlier but the new doctor in doctor who. He doesn't understand social norms, he's very quirky and clumsy, he gets very deep into his own thoughts where he starts talking and asking questions to him self aloud as if he where asking the people around him then covers there mouth or trys to stop them answering. He also sometimes says social rules aloud as if he where observing the conversation in 3rd person like "this is the part where is say......". He's very intelligent, he is a timelord but I think this is the first time they have had a quirky doctor in doctor who which personally I really like.

1. OCD is not Asperger's.
2. The Doctor is an alien. Applying human mental diagnoses to an alien doesn't make any sense.

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2011, 8:22 pm

I'm reading a book called "Every Last One" by Anna Quindlen. It is a fictional story about a woman named Mary Beth who has two teenaged twin sons and a teenaged daughter. I think that her son Max has AS. The book says he is Depressed because he doesn't fit in, has poor eye contact, is a computer genius, stopped going trick-or-treating because he was afraid to talk to people, and feels isolated. It said some other things but I can't remember. I'm only half way through, so maybe it'll mention AS later.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 3:11 am

Not reading through 36 pages at this late hour to see if this is posted...

Martin Prince on The Simpsons. Ungodly obsessed with grades and extra credit, brilliant at every school subject, unpopular because he assumes that all the other kids appreciate these skills. An incredibly smart Aspie.

AQ: 33

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 12:51 pm

Comp_Geek_573 wrote:
Martin Prince on The Simpsons. Ungodly obsessed with grades and extra credit, brilliant at every school subject, unpopular because he assumes that all the other kids appreciate these skills. An incredibly smart Aspie.

Somehow Ned Flanders also pops up. Totally no feeling for social situation, secretely hated by a lot of people, totally absorbed by his own righteousness.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 9:28 pm

Asterisp wrote:
Comp_Geek_573 wrote:

Somehow Ned Flanders also pops up. Totally no feeling for social situation, secretely hated by a lot of people, totally absorbed by his own righteousness.

He's a fundamentalist Christian who pushes his religion on everyone. Of course everyone would hate him.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 10:27 pm

Delirium wrote:
Asterisp wrote:
Comp_Geek_573 wrote:

He's a fundamentalist Christian who pushes his religion on everyone. Of course everyone would hate him.

I like Ned. He's a perfectly decent guy.

Does Billy (Doctor Horrible) from Doctor Horrible's Sing-along Blog work?

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 7:21 pm

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but... I notice that in back to the future, Marty's father exhibits AS traits after Marty goes back to the time before his parents met.

You can tell by how much of a social outcast he is, the routine he has with 'his favorite television show', his fear of rejection and people not liking his work... that sort of thing. Plus being bullied as well.

I could be wrong but... it does seem really likely, don't you think?

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

Wayne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2011, 7:51 pm

iheartmegahitt wrote:
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but... I notice that in back to the future, Marty's father exhibits AS traits after Marty goes back to the time before his parents met.

You can tell by how much of a social outcast he is, the routine he has with 'his favorite television show', his fear of rejection and people not liking his work... that sort of thing. Plus being bullied as well.

Yes, this occurred to me as well.

Of course the end of the movie would suggest that the cure for Asperger's is to find a bully and knock him on his ass with one punch...

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 7:53 pm

Wayne wrote:
iheartmegahitt wrote:

Yes, this occurred to me as well.

Of course the end of the movie would suggest that the cure for Asperger's is to find a bully and knock him on his ass with one punch...

Yeah... I realized that too. But I just notice with his whole, "Oh I don't like people writing what I wrote because I feel like they won't like it" or whatever... I relate to that SO well because I always have this huge fear of people reading things that I write and that I won't be very good.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 9:05 pm

iheartmegahitt wrote:

Helps a lot that Crispin Glover, who portrayed him, has Asperger's, too.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 8:22 am

[Probably only for "Castle" fans]

The murder victim in episode 8 of 3rd season of "Castle"

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/castle/epi ... -most-fowl

NZaspiegirl016
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2011, 12:45 am

This probably isn't classed as fictional, but...

I was thinking Bianca from New Zealand's Next Top Model Cycle 3. She was the quirky girl, a bit geeky, socially awkward, keeps to herself. Even the clients at the go-sees noticed she was a bit awkward. AS wasn't mentioned at all, but I thought maybe she could be undiagnosed. And a lot of people hated her. From personal experience, I know some NT's hate people who are different. However, I'm not quite sure about eye contact.

Tritone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2011, 4:35 pm

Meursault in Albert Camus' novel L'etranger (The Stranger)

The whole point of the book is that he is condemned for not acting as society expects him to (doesn't show emotion at mother's funeral, for instance) and being honest at all times (when his girlfriend asks if he loves her, he says no because he doesn't).

In the book he shoots an Arab, and all he says in his defence is that the sun was too bright. There are many examples of his hypersensitivity to natural stimuli prior to this, and the book goes on to describe a trial which condemns a man just as much for what he has not done (conventionally expressed remorse etc) as what he has.

Incredibly good book.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 8:51 pm

Tritone wrote:
Meursault in Albert Camus' novel L'etranger (The Stranger)

The whole point of the book is that he is condemned for not acting as society expects him to (doesn't show emotion at mother's funeral, for instance) and being honest at all times (when his girlfriend asks if he loves her, he says no because he doesn't).

In the book he shoots an Arab, and all he says in his defence is that the sun was too bright. There are many examples of his hypersensitivity to natural stimuli prior to this, and the book goes on to describe a trial which condemns a man just as much for what he has not done (conventionally expressed remorse etc) as what he has.

Incredibly good book.

Possibly also worth looking at is a character very similar to Meursault, Tom Ripley. He's very good at acting (the first of the five novels is called The Talented Mr. Ripley for a reason), but there are lots of moments in the books that made me think he's probably on the spectrum, chief among them his disconnect from other people that has caused many critics to label him a sociopath. There's a great moment in Ripley's Game in which Tom and another character named Jonathan kill two Mafia hitmen who came after them. They're driving home after disposing of the bodies, and Jonathan is weirded out by Tom's behavior. Not only is Tom not shaken at all by what just happened, all he's interested in is talking about Bach. Jonathan drifts off to sleep and occasionally wakes up, and Tom is still rambling on.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 8:57 pm

This might be a stretch, but here it is: Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Through out the series she just appeared as a nerd without much social skills, but a lot of confidence. However, in the Episode Lesson Zero, whIch just came out today, it pretty obvious that she was being written with some sort of mental disorder, at least in that episode. Most people says it's OCD, but some says its Aspergers, and I'm going with Aspergers as she acts more aspie than OCD throughout the series, she acts more autistic than OC in parts of the episode, and all her OC acts could be explained with Aspergers.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 9:18 pm

Barb in Anathem by Neal Stephenson.

Fraa Jaad from the same book is on the spectrum as well.

There's lots of autistic references in that book actually, even to the point that they don't have Saints ... the have Saunts, a truncated form of "Savant"