Bluntness and honesty vs. politeness and white lies

Page 5 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 4:02 pm

pbcoll wrote:
Kaleido wrote:
Aspies don't have much of an excuse to be rude since we may not be so tactful, but most of us are intelligent and it only needs for us to take time to respond and think about what we are saying before we wade in with our version of honesty.

Depends, sometimes you have to think on your feet and can't go away to quietly think over how your response may come across, and often figuring that out is a matter of intuition rather than intelligence.

I know, thats how I make my mistakes mostly *winces* but I still try hard to think when I have time.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 5:49 pm

Janissy wrote:
CleverKitten wrote:
Honesty does not have to be rude!

If a woman asks, "Does this dress look good on me?"
You don't have to say, "It looks absolutely hideous and your choice of fashion is horrible!"
You could, instead, say, "Hmm, the dress does not accentuate your best features. Perhaps you should try on a different style."

Now, both examples are honest. The first example is 'mean' honesty. The second example is 'tactful' honesty. Please note that the second example is not a white lie, but instead it is a more polite way to tell the truth.

A white lie would be, "That dress looks good on you."
Complete dishonesty.

Even here, it's situational. Whether you should use tactful honesty or the dishonest white lie depends on whether she has the option to pick another dress at that time and how much she needs to feel she looks good in that dress at that time. (And I realize that figuring THAT out is something bound to drive AS people bananas.)

When to use the tactful honesty:
You are shopping together- stop her from buying it.

You are getting dressed for an event together-your tactful honesty can get her to change into something else.

You are out together. She's already in the dress with no option to change but looking her absolute best isn't that critical. Maybe you are just getting lunch together. Your tactful honesty could get her to retire the dress from her wardrobe at a later point.

When to use the white lie even though it is completely dishonest:

You are somewhere together where she has no option to change yet it is critical that she feels like she looks good. Perhaps she's just about to give a presentation in front of a bunch of people or go up on stage to perform. If she asks you how her dress looks at that moment, she needs to hear that it looks great regardless of whether it does or not. She has no option to change it and being told that it looks great (even dishonestly) frees her mind from the worry that she looks like crap and allows her to concentrate on her presentation or performance in blissful ignorance that she could have looked better. The (true) information that it was a bad clothing choice would have stuck in her head at a critical time and hampered her presentation or performance.

That is an example from my own life. I had no idea ththe people saw a good presentation from a woman in an ugly dress. Had I been tactfully told, they would have seen a bad presentation from a woman in an ugly dress. Same dress in either scenario. The only thing that would change would bat the dress I'd chosen to give a presentation in was a color choice that looked weird with my skin and I looked pale and unhealthy. (And it was a new dress too! One I'd bought special for the presentation. Damn those fluorescent lights in dressing rooms.) I didn't realize this till I saw photos. Had I been tactfully told this right before the presentation it wouldn't have helped because I couldn't change at that point and it would have stuck in my head and I would have been thinking "I look like crap!" which would have distracted me from giving my best presentation. So e the quality of the presentation.

A way to deal with the latter situation without being dishonest is to say something like "You look fine", which literally means that the person you're talking to looks fine, and you haven't mentioned anything about what they're wearing. Most people will take it as "that outfit looks fine on you"; and you don't need to correct them.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 6:56 pm

Greentea wrote:
lau wrote:
Please do not misquote people.

Please do not call my personal inferences, quotes or misquotes.

if you quote, you must quote honestly.
If you infer, be clear your are inferring.

Merle

Barbarossa
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jun 2009, 6:58 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
I'd like Barbarossa to be my toyboy :heart:

Merle

Wow, thanks sinsboldy!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 7:14 pm

Barbarossa wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
I'd like Barbarossa to be my toyboy :heart:

Merle

Wow, thanks sinsboldy!

oh, honey, I am flattered. . .
but my heart is saved for someone who plays by the rules. :wink:

Merle

/Barbarossa has displayed how to misquote someone in a PM. I did not write the quote, but he has constructed it as if I had. That is definately against the rules of WP.

Merle

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 7:18 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Janissy wrote:
That is an example from my own life. I had no idea ththe people saw a good presentation from a woman in an ugly dress. Had I been tactfully told, they would have seen a bad presentation from a woman in an ugly dress. Same dress in either scenario. The only thing that would change would bat the dress I'd chosen to give a presentation in was a color choice that looked weird with my skin and I looked pale and unhealthy. (And it was a new dress too! One I'd bought special for the presentation. Damn those fluorescent lights in dressing rooms.) I didn't realize this till I saw photos. Had I been tactfully told this right before the presentation it wouldn't have helped because I couldn't change at that point and it would have stuck in my head and I would have been thinking "I look like crap!" which would have distracted me from giving my best presentation. So e the quality of the presentation.

A way to deal with the latter situation without being dishonest is to say something like "You look fine", which literally means that the person you're talking to looks fine, and you haven't mentioned anything about what they're wearing. Most people will take it as "that outfit looks fine on you"; and you don't need to correct them.

That's a good point. That last one was also an EXTREMELY narrow situation.. It wasn't an example of a not telling someone something, but not telling them something at a particular instant at which they couldn't do anything about it. It would have been better for Janissy to know ahead of time that that wasn't a color that would look good on stage and select another, rather than find that out from pictures taken after the fact. So any time prior to the moment right before walking on stage when it's too late to do anything about it would have been a good time for someone to say "you know, that color doesn't work well with your skin tone, maybe you should try something in _______."

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 9:53 pm

I repeat: I didn't quote or misquote. And inferences needn't an alert.

Now calling someone "stupid or lazy" with the moderators' agreement, that's another story. I guess we can call you stupid or lazy too, since it seems perfectly fine to you and within T&C?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 10:19 pm

Greentea wrote:
I repeat: I didn't quote or misquote. And inferences needn't an alert.

Now calling someone "stupid or lazy" with the moderators' agreement, that's another story. I guess we can call you stupid or lazy too, since it seems perfectly fine to you and within T&C?

Since you insist on posting this in the open, so be it.

How the moderation team works with other members is none of your business, GreenTea. Just because you are not privy to how we do it or to whom does not mean we are condoning any violation of the rules.

If you are not comfortable with and resisting being moderated you might want to take a break from WP.
I am saying this as your friend.

Merle

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 11:14 pm

Being blunt and honest doesn't necessarily mean telling someone "you're a f*cking a**hole"; I mean, it could, but you can also be blunt and honest and be constructive.

Yeah, I realize I'm talking about the majority of emotion-prone NTs here, but regardless...

One thing I tell people is this:

"yer mentality to not say anything to keep my feelings from being hurt was pointless; reason being, once I find out the truth, I'll be even more pissed that you held back from telling me"

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 12:21 am

Something I read about "little white lies" in a book is that they are necessity in social relationships because they serve as a lubricant in social relationships akin to oil in a car engine.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 1:00 am

Arkadash wrote:
Greentea wrote:
Since you've decided to come back and say more things after you said you had nothing more to say

What I wrote was, "I have nothing more to add at this time." If you're too lazy or stupid to read the last three words, it's your problem.
Well, that statement could be inferred to mean "I have nothing to add from this time forward". Making a false presumption that someone didn't read your words because they're lazy and stupid isn't exactly honest. Looks more like a petty insult to me.
Quote:
Greentea wrote:
I'm still challenging you to provide an example of honesty without aggresivenss where lying would've been preferable.

For you, it's all about challenging, isn't it?

You challenge me to prove things to you, but your mind is closed.

You were very nice to me as long as we were emailing to each other, but as soon as you posted, on this thread, my comment which you said would be useful to autistic people, you began criticizing, not only my original comment, but every comment I've made since then.

Your first question to me, in our emails, was about why you suddenly lose all your NT friends. The answer is on this thread. You become friendly with someone, and then at a certain point you vent your spleen at them, the anger you have at the misunderstanding you've suffered from NTs in the past. I don't know why you need to play this game, but I'm not surprised that no one wants to play it with you. Therefore you have no friends. But I think you'd say that's not a problem, because honesty is the most important thing. No problem.

Greentea wrote:
And please don't quote South Americans. There's a reason I left that continent 30 years ago.

Your problems with South Americans are your issue, not mine.

As Pablo Neruda would say, "Eres una persona muy poco amable. Por eso nadie te quiere." I'm confident you'll appreciate my honesty in this post.

You're insulting everyone's intelligence if you think we don't know the difference between honesty and egregious condescension. You're the one playing a game. You got your feelings hurt because people criticized your arguments and rejected your precious wisdom. :roll:

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 1:11 am

marshall wrote:
Making a false presumption that someone didn't read your words because they're lazy and stupid isn't exactly honest. Looks more like a petty insult to me.
Quote:

That's what I meant. I wish I could express myself as well as you do, marshall... NTs keep confusing honesty with verbal assault or unsolicited, untimely negative criticism.

The other day I asked my friend if she wanted to meet. She said no, she was tired and didn't feel like meeting. I'd much rather she tell me that than "I'm sick in bed with 39 degrees fever." (by the way, it turned out she was tired and not feeling like going out because she was going down with a really bad virus, and that night she had 39 degrees fever! 8O )

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 8:13 am

I think this thread really illustrates the communication differences, and problems between NTs, and autistics.

Arkadash is trying to explain a situation that he thought was a good example of why being blunt at certain times can be hurtful to the recipient. A few people offered counter arguments about why they didn't agree. People broke the situation down, analyzed it, and offered up differing opinions. This is what aspies do. We analyze, debate, and question. It's not of malice, but rather because we like to understand how, what ,and why things work. What I suspect Arkadash heard was, 'You're a bad uneducated teacher.' Even though that's not what anyone actually said, or even inferred. He read between the lines when there wasn't anything to read. When people said they didn't agree with his take on the situation, he felt attacked, as if we somehow made a reference to his very being. No, the other posters didn't agree with his take on the situation, and that was all there was to it. Arkadash, feeling his ego bruised, responded in a defensive manner. That's not unusual behavior for someone who feels like they're being attacked personally. He is now in the minority, and aspies are in the majority. As misunderstood, and upset he feels at this situation, is how I feel everyday in trying to deal with NTs. This is the sort of misunderstandings we go through all the time. We mean what we say, and say what we mean. There is no hidden meanings, or agenda hiding in our words. If we mean to slight somebody, we do it outright without hiding behind a word game. The problem is when NTs look beyond our words searching for meanings that aren't there, because with NTs it usually is.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 8:14 am

I agree with the initial statements of Arkadash and Janissy if they say that's the way the world works. If they are trying to defend this, I have no sympathy for their position. I'm not that partial to bluntness, since I know how hurtful it can be, but there are plenty of ways to be polite and sincere in the same time. And some things shouldn't really be asked - when you ask me if you look fat you know very well that you do, you just need my lie so you can keep lying to yourself. You prefer to manipulate me and make me feel uncomfortable so you won't - instead of doing something about the real problem - and that's being blunt.

Arkadash obviously came here with some expectations. He was told his insight might benefit autistic people so he expected some recognition and appreciation. Instead, he was challenged and he doesn't seem used to it. More, one of the posters was very adamant in rubbing his nose in his own mess - him saying that he would have preferred his students to get the wrong idea than to be publicly corrected by one of them. I imagine he was even more upset because he realised himself how unprofessional this was - but again, he didn't expect to be challenged so harshly - an NT wouldn't have done it.

And then Greentea reacted strongly to something she felt had happen to her all her life and I think he felt trapped - first he's told his insight is of great value, than he's being brought here just to be attacked from left and right. Calling Greantea lazy and stupid was rude and childish. Intelligent people don't respond with insults just because their position is challenged, but are able to defend it with valid arguments, at least if they want any respect.

The quote form Neruda was the real low blow - you get angry and say something like this and don't think about the damage you do - people like us live all their life with these scars, just because you feel angry and hurt and want to retaliate. Or maybe you just don't care and really want to inflict the maximum amount of pain. And you quote in the original language, assuming most people won't understand how low you just stooped. I haven't heard something so deliberately mean in a long time and for that you certainly don't deserve Greentea's friendship or our respect.

Last edited by Sallamandrina on 19 Jun 2009, 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 8:27 am

Let this thread serve as a lesson to all NTs who try to communicate with us Aspies :lol: And Auties 8)

Trying to find hidden meaning in what we say is like trying to find meaning in a Dragonforce song. Any meaning in there will be said bluntly in the lyrics, not hidden in strange combinations.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 8:37 am

I think there are lots of people NTs and aspies who are all for honesty until you tell them something straightforwardly and then they get upset too!

As an aspie, I tend to be quite direct and its hard for me to see that others might mean something different from what they say, but experience tells me to look for what people are not saying. I think I slightly prefer it if others are honest but not to the point of callousness or rudeness.

To give an example, a woman I hadn't seen for several years met me and said that she thought I had gotten fat, I found that rude. She could have said that I seemed to have gained weight in a different way if she really had to mention it at all, personally, I don't think she even needed to comment on my body at all.