200+ 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 128

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 1:15 pm

YaroVeso wrote:
Ive got 141 on 3smartcubes and have always been getting [130 ; 139]
I am pretty sure its somewhere between 135-140 though...

anyway :-)

That one overestimated my IQ by 16 points!

Actually, that gives me an idea; we have a rather large pool of people here who have taken official IQ tests. We might be able, if enough people tried them, to evaluate the general accuracy of online tests.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 1:23 pm

Callista wrote:
YaroVeso wrote:

That one overestimated my IQ by 16 points!

Actually, that gives me an idea; we have a rather large pool of people here who have taken official IQ tests. We might be able, if enough people tried them, to evaluate the general accuracy of online tests.

Oh my goodness! I took one of those online tests and got a 90. I shudder to think what my score would be if I ever took a real IQ test administered by a psychologist (this late in the day there's no reason to).

I might have taken one as a very young child. Reading the "earliest childhood memories thread" I remembered that my earliest childhood memory is taking a test of some sort but I don't have the faintest idea what the age was so I didn't post it. All I remember is I was asked to move a bunch of balls through a track. (There must have been more.) Then I was given a rubber frog as a prize. Then our family moved away and didn't drive through that town again for a decade. Wherupon I sawe a building we drove past and said to my parents in the car, "I REMEMBER that building from when I took a test". My mom said, "we've never been in that building and neither have you". Weird. So maybe I had an IQ of 75 and they wanted to bury that past. Or maybe I had an IQ of 130 and they didn't want me to get cocky. Or maybe it wasn't an IQ test at all. Or maybe my Mom was right and I'd never been there for a test or any other reason. In any case, I'm not about to go get it done officially just for morbid curiosity.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 1:31 pm

Quote:
Oh my goodness! I took one of those online tests and got a 90. I shudder to think what my score would be if I ever took a real IQ test administered by a psychologist (this late in the day there's no reason to).
Meh. I've had online IQ tests underestimate my IQ by ten to fifteen points before, too.

I do think that if you got anything below 70 or above 130 on yours, you would have known about it because they would have done something like putting you in either special ed or gifted classes. More likely is that you underwent some sort of testing to determine whether you were on the "correct" developmental schedule; early in childhood like that, IQs aren't all that easy to determine to begin with. And who knows what you would have scored on that; autism almost inevitably involves atypical development--not just slow, but out of order, early, or just different (like scooting on your stomach instead of crawling).

Actually, people will treat you differently if you even get so much as below 90 or above 110... they set so much stock by IQ that they will literally expect you to act differently based on that little number, even if the number only puts you in the top or bottom third. It's kind of ridiculous, really.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

millie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 1:53 pm

Quote:
Danielismyname wrote:
High enough to know that it doesn't matter in my life.

thanks danielsmyname. :lol:
a bit of sanity prevails.......

ps. I do not know my IQ and if i did, I would not be adding it to the list.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 2:08 pm

Er.. but since I've never taken an official IQ test, I can't even view the results? The ones I took online ages ago gave me results everywhere from 94 to 168, so I certainly don't trust online tests..

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 2:14 pm

I found the online ones vary anyway according to how distracted I am. I have a really high spatial IQ, but I have to turn objects around in my head to see them, and if people are talking or I'm tired it's a lot harder. also, according to the online tests, having my second child lowered my IQ by 20 points for years.

I was also discussing this with spouse, because he has some distinct areas of adeptness that I don't, which aren't measured by IQ tests, like being able to organize information. if I was tested on that my scores would be way lower. all that the IQ tests prove to me is that I'm good at puzzles.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 2:21 pm

bhetti wrote:
also, according to the online tests, having my second child lowered my IQ by 20 points for years.

:lmao: ROFL.. sorry, that's just a great one.. should put something like that on a bumper sticker.. Like the bit about insanity being hereditary, you get it from your kids.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 2:47 pm

it is funny :)

my 2nd child proudly states that she's responsible for my grey hair, since I told her I started going grey after I had her. I've managed to keep the IQ thing secret or she'd probably tell everyone she's also responsible for impairing my intelligence :lol:

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 4:26 pm

I took an IQ test in school. My IQ is 133. I took an IQ test in jail and they said I have borderline mental retardation :roll: .

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 10:20 pm

bhetti wrote:
I found the online ones vary anyway according to how distracted I am. I have a really high spatial IQ, but I have to turn objects around in my head to see them, and if people are talking or I'm tired it's a lot harder. also, according to the online tests, having my second child lowered my IQ by 20 points for years.

I was also discussing this with spouse, because he has some distinct areas of adeptness that I don't, which aren't measured by IQ tests, like being able to organize information. if I was tested on that my scores would be way lower. all that the IQ tests prove to me is that I'm good at puzzles.

Me too...according to online tests, my IQ was 20 points lower after my second child. So it last years? Hmmm, I'm about to have a third one now, I hope that has no effect. I really have the points to spare on paper, but in life, I can't get any dumber and survive.

I also agree that my IQ would be so much lower if they measured my ability to organize info in my head. I figure IQ tests only say that I'm good with puzzles and I paid attention in English and Math class.

BTW, my one liner that I use is... My kids stole my brain cells when I was pregnant, and now that they are out, I've lost my mind.

Demon-Chorus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jul 2009, 10:35 pm

WAIS-III: 102-103 (I forget which one it is, it's one or the other)

Reading/Word Comprehension: 90% (I forget the exact score, it may have been 93%)
Logical Analysis: 90% (Again I forget the exact score)
Attention Span (yeah one of the tests apparently tests this): (I don't remember, it was in the ret*d range though)
Head Math: (I forget, it was in the ret*d range)
I forget the other tests, but I scored somewhere in the 80% on one of them.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 11:32 pm

Online IQ tests are completely unreliable, and therefore cannot be quoted as a means of a person's IQ.

The concept of IQ originated as a predictive measure of someone's success at school, and nothing more. IQ cannot evaluate a person's general intelligence, but can only predict how well they will do academically.

Even then IQ only has something like a 70-80% correlation with success at school, meaning that over 20% of the time it is an inaccurate prediction.

When I was 12 and first diagnosed with AS, they tested my IQ and I got something like 99/97/98 for the different areas. Assuming the measure was based around an average score of 100 (which of course could be inaccurate, as this would likely differ between countries), this prediction was completely inaccurate as in my final school years (when I actually started studying) I consistently scored within the top 1-3% of the state for both internal and external exams for different subject areas.

In accordance with my school results, I have estimated my IQ (again reminding people that IQ is a predictive measure of school success) at being in the high 120's/low 130's - as an IQ of 130 is three standard deviations above the mean IQ of 100 (in the bell curve), meaning approximately 2.5% of the population would achieve an IQ score of 130 or higher.

Again, my estimation is only valid if 100 is taken as the mean IQ.

BUT REMEMBER: IQ actually means very little, especially if you're already out of school. As far as intelligence goes, it cannot predict actual intelligence, only how well a person will do at school. Intelligence itself is a very fluid, undefinable concept, and cannot be measured by asking people questions about patterns drawn on paper.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 11:55 pm

^ and another bit of sanity from sunshower. thank you. :)

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 12:36 am

millie wrote:
^ and another bit of sanity from sunshower. thank you. :)

My pleasure ;)

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 5:56 am

sunshower wrote:
IQ cannot evaluate a person's general intelligence, but can only predict how well they will do academically.

How does this make sense considering general intelligence and academic achievement are correlated?

I agree about the predictive value of achievement on the level of individuals. It can be very problematic and should only be considered as one element within the wider context of strengths, weaknesses, and learning style. Where there are neurological differences, an overall score can be almost meaningless, and language and testing conditions become much more important.

sunshower wrote:
In accordance with my school results, I have estimated my IQ (again reminding people that IQ is a predictive measure of school success) at being in the high 120's/low 130's - as an IQ of 130 is three standard deviations above the mean IQ of 100 (in the bell curve), meaning approximately 2.5% of the population would achieve an IQ score of 130 or higher.

Again, my estimation is only valid if 100 is taken as the mean IQ.

Most tests seem to use standard deviation of 15; therefore, a score of 130 is 2 standard deviations above the mean. The mean is always 100 by definition.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 6:04 am

YaroVeso wrote:

I got 132 with that test and 132 with another english IQ test online. I'm not sure I can believe the scores though, English is not my first language and there's some questions I found hard to understand.

Anyway, I don't believe in IQ tests... Really, I know many intelligent people and don't care about their IQ. My father is 162 (tested twice when he was a child and when he entered the army) and has no diploma so... it means nothing for me and don't assure you a bright future...

I sometimes believe I'm somewhere between 90 and 100... (nobody agrees with that because I succeed at school but I have difficulties concentrating and spelling, etc... I'm also dyspraxic so...).

The only official test I've made was at school, it wasn't a IQ test but I know I'm above average in verbal abilities and logic but do poorly in mathematics...