Autism and a heightened sense of psychic abilities

Page 5 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Obgeektor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2010, 12:28 am

heliocopters wrote:
Disclaimer: Yes, I am a hippie-dippy new-agey frou-frou tree hugger, and this is my post.

Has anyone else experienced ESP-like phenomena, and think it is possibly linked to the way an autistic brain works?

Yes, and no, due to no evidence as yet discovered. I tend to feel very close to women when I am in a relationship with them. I'm tentatively open-minded to ESP due to the fact that once I was sitting at home minding my own business and looking forward to seeing my GF the next day, happy enough and not dwelling on the fact that she was out partying. Then out of nowhere, for no apparent reason, this hugely negative feeling came over me. It was kind of like a mood-swing but isolated and not as harsh necessarily. I don't remember so well as it was a long time ago. The interesting thing is, I forgot about it, got up the next day, and my GF was acting really strange when we met. I couldn't understand it. I ended up looking in her diary later (not cool if I sneaked a peek, but I think she showed me voluntarily for some reason). It turns out that at the same rough time of night (11pm or so), she had kissed another guy who she knew before me, and felt guilty about it. Since I had no inkling at all that she had cheated or would cheat I was puzzled at her behaviour the next day. So, I don't think it was sub-conscious, logical nor paranoia. Curious.

I had this feeling with my last GF, at about 2:20am on a night she was supposed to be at work on a bar and I was preoccupied in the middle of a long computer job. The difference there is that she was likely to cheat and admits to being a deceptive, unfaithful, kind of shallow person by nature, and I knew this more or less at that stage (and left her that week in fact). Although I wasn't as sure as I am with hindsight. But explain why I'd think about it at a particular given point in time?

My possible theory is that such an intense connection as I make with such women could create another invisible connection if such things are possible. Unfortunately there's no way to test this currently, it's kind of hard to recreate the conditions in the lab! But this, the fact that we don't understand the human brain very well and a few other coincidences make me simply open-minded (haha) to the possibilities.
Shame I can't detect this kind of thing in advance before getting involved with the wrong women though! Have to use logic instead.

The singer in my band is NT, highly educated and intelligent, mentally healthy and believes in such things in theory or so he told me.

"No man can hold what the darkness can sow" - Agents Of Oblivion - Hangman's Daughter.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 12:38 am

Asp-Z wrote:
I can see the future. People think it's stupid, but it's true. I'll randomly think of something, and it'll happen the next day. I'll think of a film, and find out it's on TV tomorrow (and no, I don't read TV guides). I highly doubt it's a coincidence, because it's been going on for I think two years now.

I do this too! I have done it for years and years. I wish it was more useful.

When I was very young I would sometimes pop up with "predictions". It would startle my mother, who says I didnt speak until I was four. Well, when I was around that age I just stood up in the back seat (70s Pinto no child seats) and said, "something bad is going to happen" and then a few days later the lady who took me to daycare in the morning almost drove off of an overpass with me in the back seat. She passed out at the wheel. I remember it vividly, and since it was prior to kindergarten I had to be around 4 year old. So that means this was one of the first times I had spoken a full sentence. My mom took things like that seriously too, especially after she had to come pick me up from the hospital.

decoder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2010, 9:40 pm

I have never thought about the possible relation between ESP and asperger. I have no idea now as well, cuz ESP is such a volatile and abstract issue. What I m gonna say is that telephaty do exist. I ve had many incidents (flashy thought of someone prior to his/her calling by phone, knowing the car model of someone barely known etc) in my life that support it, but I wouldnt say it as certain if I hadnt experienced two events. Both occur during casual conversation. In the first one I was walking along and chatting with a high-school friend who had also interest towards paranormal subjects. While I was talking and preparing to change the subject to a movie I saw, he suddenly asked "movie, what movie?" That was a great moment when I realized he picked up information right out of my mind. I carefully asked where that came from and he had no idea. There were no physical signs available for what I was about to tell - it was dark at night.

The second one involves me and my father and its from 2-3 years after the first event. My father likes to tell memories, and I used to like to listen to them as well. In another memory telling session, when he was passing to another memory, a flashy thought of "some big cat/leopard in a zoo" appeared in my mind. He had begun to tell about a lion escape from a zoo that happened long time ago, just seconds after that flashy thought appeared. These are my first-hand experiences with telephaty. I m not into ESP except around I was 12-13 cuz its very hard/impossible to control and very difficult to experiment on or prove. Also it can make you kinda paranoid. At least it can make you more introvert which is not demanded if you are also an aspie. I just always knew that there is also some beneath-the-surface communication between humans. I am aware of this since I was a child. Another interesting observation of mine is that babies/small children tend to stare at me. They look directly into the eyes. They look with an expressionless face, its kinda creepy. This kind of supports the idea that "all humans have telephatic ability but they lose it as they fit into the modern communication style". This "modern" here is a relative term cuz it might refer to the entire language period. Vocal language might have costed us our telephatic skills.

MuayThaiKid
Raven
Raven

18 Apr 2010, 4:03 pm

Another interesting observation of mine is that babies/small children tend to stare at me. They look directly into the eyes. They look with an expressionless face, its kinda creepy. This kind of supports the idea that "all humans have telephatic ability but they lose it as they fit into the modern communication style". This "modern" here is a relative term cuz it might refer to the entire language period. Vocal language might have costed us our telephatic skills.

Yea i notice that a lot. like with me even in crowds, babies are like fixated on me in the same way you describe.
Its like they understand us .

SnowWhite88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2010, 4:44 pm

I've had paranormal and psychic experiences before. Usually, it's not something that I waste too much time thinking about...for my own sake.

Quote:
The next was in September of that year. The day before 9/11 to be exact.

I had several nightmares about 9/11 a few months beforehand. 8O The whole thing freaked me the heck out.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2010, 9:17 pm

I can dream about future events and they actually happen. I also can just sence things about people. Wither or not they are a good or a bad person.

katienate_89
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2010, 9:35 pm

Some people believe in psychic abilities, other's think it's just a bunch of baloney.

And that's fine, I personally believe in it myself.

I tend to predict or what might be called predicting,death,usually in dream form.

When I dreamed about my great grandmothers death, my grandmother died, when I dreamed about my mothers death my great grandmother died,when I dreamed about my own death my grandfather died.

I used to also have certain things in my dreams happen the next day, it could be something small like dreaming about whales and then reading about whales,to something big like the death for example.

I'll get strange feelings sometimes, like when my grandfather had his heart attack last month and was still alive, I kept insisting to my friend *who was trying to calm me down* that he wasn't going to live, I could just tell.

So whether one believes in psychic abilities or not, I know I do, it all depends on what we think.

And of course,everyone's entitled to their opinions,obviously.

LostNFound
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2010, 1:54 am

Well this is only the most recent one. But as I wrote a post about a half hour ago I couldn't stop thinking about AuntBlabby. Not sure why. Blabby never has made a remark on any of my posts or responses to a post and lo and behold, he did right away this time. Weird.....He'll never post to me again now probably....

My latest prediction. Almost all of you are wearing underwear. Beware.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2010, 1:59 am

PunkyKat wrote:
I can dream about future events and they actually happen. I also can just sence things about people. Wither or not they are a good or a bad person.

preaty much sums me up

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2010, 3:35 am

I don't consider myself psychic and I think the stereotype if autistic people as psychic (and the huge confusion between psychic and spiritual) is potentially quite damaging to those of us who are at the mercy of people who think that about us. It can get highly exploitative and that was my experience around the sorts of people who are really impressed by that stuff. Overly.

However there's three things that can add to this idea:

1. Autistic people are attentive to aspects of the world that nonautistic people do not consciously perceive. So when we know something that depends on that perception people will say we are psychic.

2. Nonautistic people block out certain information according to certain cultural norms. Same effect.

3. Autistic people are often good at seeing patterns between events. This can give us information about things not happening in our place and time. That also gets called psychic.

The idea that the "spiritual realm" is separate from the physical world is a cultural fiction. So is the idea that things in the "spiritual realm" are more profound somehow than physical objects and people (which is one among several reasons I don't call it spiritual, because spirituality is pretty profound). The only reason some autistic people pick up on that stuff is because we aren't as able to follow the cultural commands and taboos that say "That over there? That doesn't exist. So don't see it!" Not because there is some sort of boundary that exists but is thinner for us.

But despite experiencing some things most people would call psychic I don't view myself that way. I'm just someone who sometimes sees certain patterns really clearly, and also someone who can't follow the command "That over there? Don't see it!" But it's not like I've got powers or something, and I prefer to completely avoid people who think of it that way.

LostNFound
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2010, 3:59 am

anbuend wrote:
I don't consider myself psychic and I think the stereotype if autistic people as psychic (and the huge confusion between psychic and spiritual) is potentially quite damaging to those of us who are at the mercy of people who think that about us. It can get highly exploitative and that was my experience around the sorts of people who are really impressed by that stuff. Overly.

However there's three things that can add to this idea:

1. Autistic people are attentive to aspects of the world that nonautistic people do not consciously perceive. So when we know something that depends on that perception people will say we are psychic.

2. Nonautistic people block out certain information according to certain cultural norms. Same effect.

3. Autistic people are often good at seeing patterns between events. This can give us information about things not happening in our place and time. That also gets called psychic.

The idea that the "spiritual realm" is separate from the physical world is a cultural fiction. So is the idea that things in the "spiritual realm" are more profound somehow than physical objects and people (which is one among several reasons I don't call it spiritual, because spirituality is pretty profound). The only reason some autistic people pick up on that stuff is because we aren't as able to follow the cultural commands and taboos that say "That over there? That doesn't exist. So don't see it!" Not because there is some sort of boundary that exists but is thinner for us.

But despite experiencing some things most people would call psychic I don't view myself that way. I'm just someone who sometimes sees certain patterns really clearly, and also someone who can't follow the command "That over there? Don't see it!" But it's not like I've got powers or something, and I prefer to completely avoid people who think of it that way.

You're not wearing underwear, are you?

J/K. Seriously though, I have very frequent episodes of all ranges and tastes float over me. Dreams that become reality shortly after. Knowing what someone is about to do or say. The thing with AuntBlabby I mentioned earlier.

It's just such a delicious and lovely thought to think it possible. And noone can disprove it beyond theories so let it ride I say. Gorgeous notion. Though I'd be stupid to not admit I see the lovely logic of your retort on the matter. I've had similiar motions pass through the mind. But they're not beautiful like this one.

Winterleaves
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2010, 4:15 am

Sometimes I find myself actually "predicting things". I don't really know that I'm doing it until it happens, then I realize that my actions before the thing happens affects the results.

For example, before a test/exam, I occasionally find myself inclined to put more effort into a certain topic. I don't understand why, but I just do, and every time I have this "gut feeling", I find that the topic that I'm putting more effort into is actually related to a question in the exam. Which doesn't sound like much, but it's a lot when the topic of choice turns out to be the essay question, like it was today, and there is just that one question to do. It's quite freaky because I usually pick "unimportant" topics that everyone else overlooks.

I was also studying for a test this morning and the class was really noisy and I was getting agitated so I went "Ipod, play across the universe" because that song helps me chill out. The next song on my 200 song playlist was across the universe. My ipod was on shuffle so it was a completely random song. This happens quite a bit sometimes.

Ragnia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2010, 4:24 am

I had some premonitions when I was dreaming.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 4:53 am

Dr. Tony Attwood talks about women with asperger's having something like a sixth sense:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/aspergerwo ... es-of-fema

i'm sorry i can't tell you exactly when this comes up, but maybe 1/4 to 1/2 way through the interview.

flyingkittycat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2010, 11:12 am

I've had alot of dreams that came true. Have known when someone was going to die soon but didn't know the exact date. Have stopped someone from dying. Pick up on other people's frustrations internally without looking at their face and they don't have to speak. Unfortunately, I mimick the feelings they are hiding so if someone is hiding anger, I show anger, if someone is hiding sadness, I cry.

It's nothing like those psychic hot lines either where people ask questions and I come up with a response. It comes and goes on its own. I also predict near future events and forewarn others of what is going to happen based on patterns. Often I am shrugged off and laughed at until it does happen.

I am not sure if it actually relates to autism because I think alot of people have this without autism or other "mental conditions". Most just choose to ignore it.

flyingkittycat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2010, 11:31 am

katzefrau wrote:
Dr. Tony Attwood talks about women with asperger's having something like a sixth sense:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/aspergerwo ... es-of-fema

i'm sorry i can't tell you exactly when this comes up, but maybe 1/4 to 1/2 way through the interview.

Wow. I am listening and Tony understands women with aspergers well. I'm listening to the empathy part now and hypersensitivity. I am hypersensitive.